The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

THE X-FILES #2 - Días de Los Muertos, Part 1

View previous topic View next topic Go down

THE X-FILES #2 - Días de Los Muertos, Part 1

Post by jade1013 on Thu 18 Feb - 10:18

Coming in May!

Joe Harris

Last edited by jade1013 on Sat 1 Jul - 9:20; edited 4 times in total

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 108984
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: THE X-FILES #2 - Días de Los Muertos, Part 1

Post by sir on Thu 18 Feb - 10:20

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 100670
Your favorite David's role : Hank Moody and Fox Mulder
Registration date : 2007-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sun 22 May - 16:10

Preview: The X-Files #2

Posted: 9 hours ago

Story by Joe Harris

Art by Matthew Dow Smith

Colors by Jordie Bellaire

Letters by Dezi Sienty

Cover by menton3

Publisher IDW

Cover Price: $3.99

Release Date May 25th, 2018

THE X-FILES is back and bigger than ever! Now, with the participation of Chris Carter, IDW Publishing is proud to present the continuing adventures of iconic FBI Agents FOX MULDER and DANA SCULLY!

Comic Book Resources

Last edited by jade1013 on Sat 1 Jul - 9:25; edited 1 time in total

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Sun 22 May - 16:11

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 25 May - 15:30

IDW's The X-Files #2 Review: David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson's Mulder/Scully Comic Book!

By Jorge Solis (j.solis@mstarsnews.com) | May 25, 2016 05:00 PM EDT

(Photo : IDW Publishing)

IDW Publishing continues to fight the future with The X-Files #2 FBI agents Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) have a new comic book adventure in writer Joe Harris and artist Matthew Dow Smith's gripping second installment. 

As we previously mentioned, whether they liked it or not, FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully have become known for the bureau because of their work in The X-Files Unit. The professional careers revolved around the unexplained phenomena and unsolvable casework.  After years living in peaceful anonymity, the duo are now forced to return to the Bureau. There is still a lot of work for them to do.

This critic appreciates that the continuity takes place within the recent Revival arc. These are the cases that Mulder and Scully were working on within those 6 episodes. As Mulder and Scully take on the cartel, I'm wondering how the comics will dive into the mythology but this standalone issue definitely makes for an exciting read!

Writer Joe Harris finds clever ways to deliver his social commentary inside the narrative. Harris addresses illegal immigration from different perspectives on the matter. This isn't agents looking at the subject through a procedural. Because the case involves missing children, Mulder and Scully have to see this case through the eyes of a parent. The subject of past regreats and childhood was examined heavily in Revival.

Artist Matthew Dow Smith focuses on the themes of family and parenthood through his camera angles. When the agents meet with the traumatized child, the investigative duo appear tall and aligned in the low angles. The child is always looking up at the adults, as if seeking some kind of parental advice.

RATING: JUST TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY!!

The X-Files #2 is out in stores now.

MStarsNews

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 25 May - 15:56

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sat 28 May - 21:24

Review: X-Files #2

Posted on May 25, 2016 by bagandbored

(IDW 2016)

Writer: Joe Harris

Art: Matthew Dow Smith

Colors: Jordie Bellaire

Letters: Dezi Sienty

Cover Menton 3

Spinning out from the recent Fox TV event series the adventures of iconic FBI Agents Mulder and Scully continue in the The X-Files #2, the brand new ongoing series from IDW Publishing with the participation of Chris Carter! Returning to the Bureau and the X-Files, FBI Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully have resumed their investigations into strange and unexplained cases. The X-Files #2 sends Mulder and Scully on their most challenging case so far, as two young siblings with a sinister power watching over them go on the run.

The X-Files #2 Muertos Part 1 explores dark, poignant themes, as writer Joe Harris brings us a powerful story which follows the plight of brother and sister Rosa and Enrico, as they join migrants racing to board the wagons of the freight train know as The Beast in their desperate bid to escape from the mysterious Justiniano and cross the US-Mexican border. But when the train is intercepted and stopped by Justiniano’s men, it becomes apparent there are dark, powerful forces overseeing Rosa and Enrico’s journey.

Called in by Sheriff Mendoza, Mulder and Scully travel to the scene of a gruesome discovery in an abandoned truck in the Rio Grande Valley, Texas. While Milder, Scully, and Mendoza go over the details of the case, Mulder finds a clue that connects to the Mexican Day of the Dead rituals amidst the carnage. They key to finding out what happened rests with one traumatized survivor at the Immigration Detention Center Lardeo, a young girl called Rosa, but getting through to her isn’t going to be easy. Joe Harris deftly keeps the mystery and suspense building throughout the issue. Mulder and Scully are soon embroiled in a complex investigation, one involving a dark web of corruption, drug cartels, and human trafficking, as the elusive identity of Justiniano and the mystery of what has happened to Rosa’s brother, Enrico, begins to unfold.

Harnessing the distinct mood and tone of the TV series perfectly, Matthew Dow Smith’s artwork is as impressive as we’ve come to expect, and this issue is a veritable showcase of intricately structured sequences and dramatic situations. Matthew Dow Smith ensures every scene is well realized and highly detailed, the likenesses of all the main characters are spot on, and the brooding atmosphere of Joe Harris’ tautly plotted script is heightened even further by Jordie Bellaire’s mesmerizing use of color which in turn makes this issues themes resonate all the more powerfully as a result. From the grim opening moments on the train, the initial levity of Mulder and Scully’s journey peels away as their investigation takes in the blood soaked interior of the van, but it is the moving scenes as the agents question Rosa and the Day of the Dead imagery depicted in the child’s drawings that are key to driving the narrative of the issue towards further unexpected revelations.

The issue coves a lot a ground in a very small space of time, tackling some very difficult issues along the way, but the story never feels rushed or undeveloped. In classic X-Files fashion, the truth proves as elusive as ever. The pace of the issue doesn’t let up for a moment,  Scully gets to autopsy the mutilated remains of the victims, while Mulder conducts a further investigation of his own, and everything builds to a chilling cliff-hanger that will leave you eagerly awaiting the next issue. With its striking Agent Fox Mulder cover by Menton 3, bold and unflinching storyline from Joe Harris, great art by Matthew Dow Smith, and colors by Jordie Bellaire, The X-Files #2 is another remarkable and thrilling issue from this series’ excellent creative team!

Paul Bowler is a self-Confessed Sci-Fi Geek, Doctor Who fan, and Zombie Disposal Expert. He likes movies, comic books, and all things PS3. He likes to write about his interests, would love to write a novel one day, and also enjoys chatting to the many people he has gotten to know on Twitter. When he’s not busy being an Impossible Astronaut, he likes to take a break from his adventures in time and space to enjoy some of his favourite tv shows and movies, preferably with a nice cuppa tea & a sandwich! You can follow him on Twitter @paul_bowler, or find him at his website, Sci-Fi Jubilee.

BAG & BORED

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sat 28 May - 21:28

Four Things About The X-Files #2 With Joe Harris

Russ Burlingame
- 05/28/2016

While this month's issue of IDW Publishing's The X-Files wasn't quite as loaded as was the first issue, that's pretty easy to explain: #1 was a done-in-one, and this one is the first part of a storyline.

We wanted to at least take a look at the issue and, even without a full plot to dissect and potentially spoil, talk with writer Joe Harris about some of the things that made the book work.

Harris was happy to oblige, so here are four thoughts on The X-Files #2 from Harris, Matthew Dow Smith, and Jordie Bellaire.

You can get a copy of The X-Files #2 at your local comic shop or via ComiXology.

Can we just sit here for a minute and appreciate the genius of Jordie Bellaire? I love the palette in the first few pages.

You really do feel the rust on that freight train carrying migrants toward the US border, right? Between Matt’s line work and Jordie’s choices, the masses huddled on top of “The Beast” at once become both an abstraction and a collection of individuals. Jordie is a wonderful talent and a great person and I’m so, so lucky to have been able to collaborate with her for so long, across various line artist stints on this book. We both love The X-Files very much and take Mulder and Scully very seriously.

I’m really happy she’s my friend too.

Do you read the dialogue back to yourself in the actors' voices? The scene with Rosa -- especially Dana's lines -- were pitch perfect.

At this point, the characters almost talk to me in my sleep. But sure, yeah — I read dialogue back to myself. Out loud, sometimes, but not always. If I were writing a screenplay, I’d be more meticulous about how the dialogue sounds being spoken back at myself. But comics dialogue is about how it reads -- how it looks on the page, where you break for a new balloon and what word you might bold for emphasis. I’d repeat words without apology in a screenplay’s dialogue while I’d break out the red pen without pity if something I wrote for print was repetitive at all.

Pacing wise, we got pretty deep in before we really got a sense for the Fox and Dana were doing there. That's something we don't usually get on TV. Was that intentional?

I wanted this issue to be slower and more quiet and to really live with Mulder and Scully while they questioned Rosa, the little girl who’d survived the mysterious carnage they’re investigating. I hadn’t thought about how it might contrast with a typical viewing experience of The X-Files. I’m always hopeful we can approximate that experience using the tools and vocabulary related to the comics medium while always hopeful we can keep building what we do into its own thing too, so what you’re getting might be less by design and more by osmosis, but all contrasts and theorizing are valid so far as I’m concerned.

Why did you want to set the story during Dia de los Muertos?

I wanted to use the imagery and the mythology as it fit squarely into what most would expect of a “Monster of the Week” episode of the The X-Files. By basing this story in Mexican folklore, it also allowed for me to conceive, pitch and then craft the approved story that would touch on the present-day social issues related to immigration, the related prejudices and policies and political fights. I’m always looking to further push The X-Files into the present day and coming up with topical stories is something I both enjoy and see as essential.

ComicBook

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Sun 29 May - 3:05

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Mon 20 Jun - 6:57

Comic Book Review – The X-Files #2

June 20, 2016 by Tony Black

Tony Black reviews The X-Files #2…

The X-Files 3THE X-FILES is back and bigger than ever! Now, with the participation of Chris Carter, IDW Publishing is proud to present the continuing adventures of iconic FBI Agents FOX MULDER and DANA SCULLY!

The second issue of IDW’s brand new run of The X-Files comics launches us into our first two-part story from the combined forces of Joe Harris & Matthew Dow Smith, and ‘Dia de Muertos’ Part One once again successfully manages to fuse together a creepy investigation for Mulder & Scully with a modern day societal problem, in this case the plight of illegal immigration across the Mexican border and the desperate treatment of people looking for a better life in the land of opportunity. It’s an issue all about establishment but it allows Harris to take his time more with the storytelling than the fast one-shot of his last story.

The mystery revolves around two Mexican children – Rosa, who survived the horrific death of a lorry load of immigrants, and her presumably missing brother Enrico, both of whom appear to be under the thrall of a mysterious figure named ‘Justiniano’, and have some kind of connection to occult Day of the Dead rituals, with an unnerving creature with red eyes stalking proceedings. Harris has the characters down now, so while Scully adopts a caring & maternal approach with the troubled young girl, Mulder is flippant & dry (with only a comment about ISIS just feeling a bit too nakedly political) & focused on the occult legend he’s already finding clues about dotted around the massacre and through the young girl. It’s an intriguing mystery we only get pieces of by the cliffhanger, one which nicely puts one of our dynamic duo in potentially serious danger.

Yet again, a good, solid issue from Harris–with more stark, evocative artwork from Dow Smith–which tees up a creepy tale of Mexican myth and very much feels like a modern X-File with traces of the show of old. Looking forward to see how the follow up plays out…

Flickering Myth

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Mon 20 Jun - 7:06

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duchovny on Mon 20 Jun - 8:24

thanks
Duchovny
Phantom
Phantom

Number of posts : 16711
Emploi : Housewife
Your favorite David's role : Fox Mulder
Registration date : 2011-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Fri 1 Jul - 4:26

Review: The X-Files (2016-) #2, "Los Dios de Los Muertos"

In the second issue of IDW’s new The X-Files comic series set during the 2016 revival, Mulder and Scully head to the Texas border to investigate the gruesome deaths of a truckload of Mexican immigrants. Read after the jump for our review of “Los Dios de Los Muertos” Part One.

For his second outing into The X-Files revival universe, Joe Harris steps away from the show’s convoluted mythology and into a classic Monster-of-the-Week story, which also happens to be the first two-parter for the new series. “Los Dios de Los Muertos”, which for you non-Spanish speakers translates as “The Gods of The Dead”, begins in Oaxaca, Mexico where two children, Rosa, and Enrico (who judging by his outfit is apparently little Timmy from Jurassic Park reincarnated), rush to board a train headed for the U.S. border. They are attempting to flee someone named Justiniano who they fear, “will not take [their] leaving well”.

The children are clearly correct in their assessment because the train is quickly stopped by armed cartel enforcers who are searching for them. The other migrants on the train do not give away the children's hiding place, apparently in fear of something worse than the cartel. Behind the enforcers, a pair of glowing faces with red eyes and pointed teeth hover in the shadows above the children. The next day, a truck is found in Laredo, Texas. Inside is a bloodbath filled with the remains of 37 migrant workers. There is only one survivor, Rosa.

Mulder and Scully arrive in the Rio Grande Valley, Texas, and are soon met by Sheriff Mendoza who explains that trucks filled with “human cargo” are nothing new in his area, but that the scene inside this truck is entirely alien to him. Investigating inside the truck, Mulder finds what appear to be deep claw marks and a handful of marigolds, a flower that “figure[s] prominently in Mexican Day of the Dead rituals guiding the spirits”, which he passes to Scully.

Mulder soon links the incident to Santa Muerta, the Death Angel “fetishized” by Mexican cartels. Scully worries about the traumatized young girl left behind after the slaughter because Rosa has drawn pictures of the same angel hovering over the migrant train. Mulder, however, is convinced that Rosa's older brother Enrico is somehow connected to the incident, and sets out to find him. Out at their hire car, Mulder finds a marigold lying on the ground.  As he sets off to find Enrico, who is alive and has made his way to a large southwest style villa, we spot the same glowing eyes and sharp teeth staring out from the rear of the car.

I much preferred this issue to the season debut of The X-Files 2016, but I also think I would probably have liked it better if it wasn’t a two-parter. For me, the story feels slightly too dragged out and once again I couldn’t ignore the heavy-handed attempts to throw in up-to-date references to current events in order to remind us what decade it is. This time, it was George Zimmerman getting a mention. Toto, I've a feeling we’re not in the 90s anymore...

Regardless, the evil smiling faces in the shadows had me thoroughly creeped out (and reminded of Welcome to Night Vale’s Smiling God) and once again I find myself concerned for Mulder’s well-being until the next issue.

Don't forget to pick up your own copy of The X-Files 2016 #2, either digitally or from your local comic book store.

Xfiles.news

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 1 Jul - 4:27

jade1013