The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

2x10 - Blackbird

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2x10 - Blackbird

Post by jade1013 on Sun 21 Feb - 16:52

Episode #2.10

Cast

Marc Hogan ... Jailhouse Officer

IMDb

Last edited by jade1013 on Sat 3 Jun - 14:56; edited 1 time in total

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 109195
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2x10 - Blackbird

Post by sir on Sun 21 Feb - 16:55

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 100670
Your favorite David's role : Hank Moody and Fox Mulder
Registration date : 2007-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Sun 13 Mar - 7:10

Director: Michael Zinberg
Writer: Rafael Yglesias

Imdb

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sun 13 Mar - 13:24

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Sat 16 Apr - 5:49

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sat 16 Apr - 8:34

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Tue 16 Aug - 18:54

"AQUARIUS"

"BLACKBIRD"

09/03/2016 (09:00PM - 10:00PM) (Saturday) : KEN AND EMMA RECONCILE - Ken (Brian F. O'Byrne) and Emma (Emma Dumont) reconcile but Emma wants to find Charlie (Gethin Anthony). At the expense of Charmain's (Claire Holt) career, Hodiak (David Duchovny) is determined to find the truth behind Bunchy's (Gaius Charles) murder. Meanwhile, Shafe (Grey Damon) sees an old friend at rehab. Ambyr Childers, Chance Kelly, Madisen Beaty, Cameron Dean Stewart and Michaela McManus also star.

Spoilertv.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 16 Aug - 19:09

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Tue 23 Aug - 12:39

In UHQ

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 23 Aug - 12:40

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Tue 23 Aug - 13:04

+

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 23 Aug - 13:04

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 31 Aug - 19:39

Spoilertv.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 31 Aug - 19:52

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Sat 3 Sep - 3:20

TV: Watch Football on ABC and CBS

TODAY'S MUST-SEE: Football, ABC and CBS.

TONIGHT'S MIGHT-SEE: “Aquarius,” 9 and 10 p.m., NBC.

Exiled to TV's least-watched night, “Aquarius” offers a rarity – new, expensive-looking episodes on a Saturday. That won't last long; next week brings the two-hour finale.

Tonight's first hour finds Emma reconciling with her dad, the troubled lawyer. The second reflects a true event: Terry Melcher – son of Doris Day, friend of the Beach Boys – wanted to record Charles Manson's music. Both hours reflect trouble for Hodiak (David Duchovny) and his young colleagues

Rgj.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sat 3 Sep - 3:21

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Sat 3 Sep - 20:15

Link for download episode

Sendspace

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sat 3 Sep - 20:16

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Mon 5 Sep - 3:16

The Top 8 Moments from Last Night's Aquarius: "Blackbird"
(Episode 2.10 “Blackbird," and Episode 2.11 "Can You Take Me Back")

Somewhere along the way the Aquarius writing team felt the need to throw in a true philosophical leader. Not Charlie with his violent grandstanding. Not Hodiak with his cynical snarking. And certainly not Shafe because, well, Shafe.

Bunchy or Kristin have had their moments, but a show based on true events means Bunchy never had much of a chance. And with Kristin’s new upgrade to multidimensional character comes character development. With character development comes a need to focus on growth, not being everyone’s moral compass. So the writing gods sent forth a new prophet in Billie Gunderson. Recovering heroine addict, (possibly) unlicensed clinic owner, and tea aficionado, Billie Gunderson. Billie, who gave us a last minute mystery: Why isn’t it enough when someone truly and deeply loves you? Why isn’t that enough?

So in the spirit of answering that question, let’s dive on in and figure out why love wasn’t enough to keep some of these relationships together on last night’s Aquarius.

1. Charlie and Everybody
Okay, so maybe relationship isn’t quite the right word here. Maybe it’s more like, “why does everyone leave Manson’s self obsessed thrall eventually?” I mean really, why is it so hard to find unquestioning mindless hippies these days?

It could be his communication skills. There are more effective ways to deliver messages than threatening the lives of Beach Boys and their housekeepers. Suggestion: When trying to reach out to an old friend, flowers or one of those edible fruit arrangements are a bit more effective than bullets. And a hand written note will much more clearly convey what you’d like to say. Terrified, half-strangled staff have a tendency to paraphrase. Mind you, the singsong ranting and “I have a right” pronouncements won’t win brownie points either.

Then there’s his pesky tendency towards using people. Using Sadie as a combination incubator/real estate agent without so much as a thank you won’t win him any points. And while Emma does return, using her to bring Ken into the loop is going to backfire eventually.

But I think the most likely reason has to be all the murder. If your first impulse when someone upsets you is to kill them, it’s going to be hard to hang on to friends and supporters. Certainly not an effective management style. And remember Tex and Sadie, if someone is willing to murder with you behind some else’s back, then they’re probably willing to murder you behind your back.

2. Ken and Emma
Certainly the strongest emotional reconciliation of “Blackbird” must be Ken and Emma. Both having just recently escaped their own “prisons” both literal and metaphorical, it seems two thirds of the Karn family are well on their way towards a more loving, accepting view of each other. Ken’s forced embracing of who he is may have ostracized him from his clients, but it’s given him a more profound understanding of just what his daughter is seeking. Emma’s calmer, more mature demeanor gives her the chance to think others perspectives through, instead of acting on more self-centered impulses. In short, they’ve both grown up. It’s only by doing so that they can have a father/daughter relationship worth investing in. One that involves bonding time that includes both discussing Little Women and smoking pot.

So why then, is their new love for each other not enough? Why must Emma keep searching for Charlie? Why does Ken still feel ostracized and dissatisfied? Perhaps it’s because new love doesn’t heal old scars. The hurt these two have done to each other is significant enough that they’ll never really be enough. Members of the Manson family are the first people to love Emma unconditionally—or at least this is what she perceives. So she forgives them anything, sees their love as whole and unconditional. For Ken it’s more complicated. He’s willing to build a family without Manson, but his lack of self-identity and clear life structure make him an easy catch in Manson’s web. After all, the real life Manson preyed on the lonely and directionless, so why should the fictional family members not suffer from these as well?

3. Brian and Kristin
I would have thought that after everything they went through to get Shafe’s heroine addiction under control, this power couple would be on the road to smoother times. And I would have been wrong.

While both Kristin and Brian have spent much of this season growing apart, the core of their relationship would seem to be relatively intact. Only, now it looks like that core may never have been there to begin with. We’ve gotten a few hints leading up to tonight that, despite his marriage to Kristin, Brian isn’t the most socially open minded character. Put simply he views his wife as an exception to the African-American community, as opposed to the rule.

But when Sam Hodiak seems to have not only a greater empathy for, but also a willingness to work for that empathy more than you, Brian, there is definitely a problem. One-off statements and under cuts towards Kristin, the Black Panthers, and the Los Angeles African-American community became the focus of this couple’s conversations. No longer were those comments throwaway lines that Kristin let slide. Instead they worked to show us how fundamentally flawed this relationship already is.

Kristin says this as clearly as anyone ever could, “I can’t live with the enemy.” Whether you think she’s right or wrong doesn’t really matter. It’s the very fact that Brian could shrug off her concerns, shrug off the idea that the organization he works for does this much harm that makes their love not enough. Because how can love possibly be enough when someone opposes your every attempt to be you? Is that even love at all?

Episode 2.11 “Can You Take Me Back?”

No. That’s pretty much the answer every character in “Can You Take Me Back?” should be giving. Aquarius never claimed to be a show about people being nice to each other, but this episode may have crossed a few more lines than we expected. Here are the top five betrayals from last night’s Aquarius.

1. Terry Melcher Breaks a Deal with the Devil
If you’re going to try pacifying a murder-threatening lunatic with a messiah complex, you really need to make sure you keep your ego out of it.

The writers of Aquarius didn’t really do themselves any favors with Melcher’s visit to Spawn Ranch. Without contributing to possible unknown future spoilers—because were this a true event it certainly would explain the logic behind some future events—this never happened. Recordings of the Manson family singing do exist, but Melcher didn’t produce them and none of them include Charlie performing.

So this pacifying act on Melcher’s part is a pure fiction. This makes it possibly the dumbest betrayal of the episode, even if the consequences are dire. If you’re going to record Manson, with no intention of ever releasing the music or taking him at all seriously, why balk at signing a barely legal piece of paper promising not to alter his work? If you’re so scared of this guy, you feel the need to take such actions, why not just nod your head, smile, and drive off to the safety of your current luxury home? The answer is, of course, ego. Not wanting to be beholden to Manson or give him the perception of an upper hand never serves as an effective strategy in this show. Come on Melcher, think about it.

2. (And 2.5 If You Squint) Hodiak, Charmain, and Internal Affairs
2 and 2.5 because who really betrays whom here? At first glance, we might want to say Hodiak. After all, he’s the one who will suffer the consequences of his past misdeeds. But they are his past misdeeds. The transgressions he flaunts and takes for granted in return for a truly genius application of his detective skills, his breeches all obtained in the name of justice. Add to that the knowledge that Charmain hasn’t actually testified yet, and Hodiak’s betrayal may be on the way, but it’s not quite close enough to see with any clarity yet.

Instead, I’ll argue that Hodiak betrays Charmain. Not by burning her UA contact last episode, which he did, or by leaving her out to dry with her C.O., but by his behavior afterward. It’s his lack of concern for the situation he created. He doesn’t even realize that she’s been returned to coffee duty until halfway through the episode. And then there’s that final blow: “Sometimes I’m not sure if I created the monster or just dragged it back with me from the swamp?” Because think of how you would feel if the only person who ever believed in you built you up, through their own carelessness knocked you down, and then flung insults at you in the same breath they condescended to let you save yourself. It may go against our ingrained sensibilities about loyalty and self-sacrifice, but faced with an impossible situation, Charmain chooses to bend the rules rather than sacrifice herself. And that, after all, is exactly what Hodiak would do.

3. Brian and Vic’s CGI Adventure
Brian’s been pushing towards a relapse for a while now, so it’s not really a surprise when he and Vic meet up for a heroine play date. You might think I’m getting to Vic’s betrayal in leading Roy to Shafe, or Shafe’s betrayal of Kristin in using again, or the lock on Shafe’s front door’s betrayal in not doing it’s job. But the actual betrayal here, as it often is with addicts, is the betrayal of the self.

Shafe’s recovery had been going so well. Okay, maybe not well, but going. By using again he risks his own health, the stability of his marriage, his career, his life (death by drug overdose scenario), his life (death by Roy overdose scenario), and his freedom. Sure Kristin, Vic, and Charmain have to ride the fallout with him, but it’s Shafe who will have to live with the relationships he’s destroyed. Shafe who will lose everything. And that’s a pretty high price to pay, when all you got in exchange is some paranoid Hodiak scolding and lack luster CGI snakes.

4. Japanese Internment Camps
Sadly this is one of those dark parts of American history that Aquarius tends to shine a bright light on. During World War II, the American government turned on hundreds of thousands of its own citizens as wartime paranoia took hold. The bombing of Pearl Harbor served to bring America into the war, but it also assured that this country perceived Japan as its personal enemy, while Germany took on the role as a slightly more philosophical evil.

In response to a growing concern (paranoia) over the potential that Japanese spies may be living in the United States, President Roosevelt issued “Executive Order 9066,” which gave the government the authority to relocate Japanese citizens from “restricted” areas, primarily west coast states. While many Americans would balk at the idea of being restricted in this way, the situation only got worse as “voluntary” relocation turned to detention and internment. The conditions of these camps varied wildly, but none of them were created with the intent of working their inhabitants to death, in contrast with Nazi concentration camps. That’s little comfort though, considering that in some of these camps malnutrition, starvation, and disease ran rampant, resulting in the deaths of many inhabitants. It’s one of the darker chapters of American history and a stark reminder that racism and racist politics extend far beyond black and white.

5. Brian, Roy, and Charmain
So you work hard, you have your partner’s back, even when that partner has no faith in you. You do your best to do what’s right, and lose the undercover position you sacrificed so much to attain. But at least that should earn you the loyalty of your fellow officers right? It should protect you from things like other cops setting you up to be murdered by crazed ex-con pseudo-boyfriends. Except it doesn’t.

You can argue in Shafe’s defense that he had no choice—that Roy would have killed Brian and Kristin, and left Vic to take the blame. But one cop leading another into a potential assassination constitutes this episode’s biggest betrayal. When it comes to this list I like to think the reasons are a bit immaterial, especially when the results could be so devastating. Come on Brian, at least apologize once it’s all over.

Pastemagazine.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Mon 5 Sep - 3:17

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Mon 5 Sep - 4:01

AQUARIUS – SEASON 2, EPISODE 10: “BLACKBIRD”

NBC’s Aquarius
Season 2, Episode 10: “Blackbird”
Directed by Michael Zinberg
Written by Rafael Yglesia

On August 8th, 1969, Tex Watson (Cameron Deane Stewart) gets his marching orders from Papa Charlie Manson (Gethin Anthony). Tex and Sadie (Ambyr Childers) are to go to the designated home in the hills, tie people up, knife them to death and “paint the walls with their blood.”

But 7 months earlier, Ken Karns (Brian F. O’Byrne) has hauled his daughter Emma (Emma Dumont) out of that snake pit of a psychiatric ward. Only problem is the ECT has her scrambled for a while. Now Ken is trying to make amends. Or is he? Blaming his wife Grace (Michaela McManus) for most of it, he asks Emma for forgiveness. When she mentions his homosexuality, though, Ken is a bit taken aback. He isn’t ready to be true to himself. He’s on the Nixon team.

In another part of town, poor Kristin Shafe (Milauna Jackson) has seen Bunchy Carter (Gaius Charles) shot up. Her husband Dt. Brian Shafe (Grey Damon) and Dt. Sam Hodiak (David Duchovny) are there to offer comfort. And because of all his personal connections to the case, Sam insists he’s the one to take charge.

Mr. Manson is not at all happy with Dennis Wilson (Andy Favreau) for changing his song to fit the Beach Boys mould. He threatens one of Wilson’s housekeepers, frightening her badly. What else is he willing to do?

Kristin’s sure the shooting was done by United Africa (UA). She believes the FBI are working through the police and other groups outside of the Black Panther Party to tear them apart. She wants the UA all taken in, so she can identify them. However, Hodiak can’t just bring them all to jail. Then he assures her there will be justice. Maybe not from the department; from him. Meanwhile, Brian is still doing work over at the clinic with Sam’s friend Billie Gunderson (Olivia Taylor Dudley) to get himself, and keep himself, clean. He’s pretty conflicted over the death of Bunchy. The jury on Brian is still out. Not sure if he’s a good guy, or a shitty man.
The FBI are swooping in on the Carter case. That’s not about to stop Hodiak, though. He doesn’t care what Ed Cutler (Chance Kelly) tells him. Then there’s Officer Charmain Tully (Claire Holt), she’s heard information about UA trying to get at the Black Panthers. The upper-ups do not care: “That‘s what we wanted to happen,” her commanding officer explains. But Hodiak, he’s the one she can go to with these situations. Let’s see what ole Sam gets up to.

In a bar where Charlie searches for Wilson, he winds up running into a still kickin’ Ralph Church (Omar J. Dorsey). They almost kill each other before the police arrive.

Emma is still attached to Charlie, or the idea of him. She longs to be with him and the family. For now, she and her father smoke a joint together and relax. Across the city, Hal Banyin (Spencer Garrett) is tripping out and needs something to calm him. Apparently the solution is mescaline. So his hippy friends are tracking some down.

Stuck in a cell together, Charlie rambles about “when Helter Skelter starts” to Ralph. The bigger of the two doesn’t care. He has a “slow and ugly” plan for Charlie’s death. But Manson only cares about the big race war he believes is happening. Finally, Ralph understands how crazy the man across from him is truly. A frightening scene.

Brian has to bail his wife out of jail when the Black Panthers get arrested. At home, Sam is waiting for them. He wants to jump in before the FBI gets swinging. Moreover, he surprises Kristin, and Brian, after wanting to borrow a book called The Souls of Black Folk by W.E.B. Du Bois. Here, we see how Sam is more in tune with the black experience than ever Kristin’s own husband. Sort of a jarring moment for her, as the man she’d never have expected to understand actually seems to start doing exactly that.

Oh, and we find out Hodiak had the Panthers rounded up after Charmain alerted him to UA’s plan. Smart move. Except Charmain has guilt about what happened to Bunchy, and things slightly fall apart between her and Sam when he grills her on it.

A face we haven’t seen in awhile, Roy Kovic (David Meunier), has figured out that Dt. Shafe is in fact a cop, after one of Brian’s old buddies runs into him at the clinic Billie runs. Uh oh. There’s some nasty trouble ahead for the Shafes.

Brian: “Doesn‘t everyone feel that way sometimes?”

Sam: “Well sometimes ain‘t all the time”

Spahn Ranch is now on the Manson Family radar. Hal babbles about it while getting fingered in the ass by Sadie. She seems intent on it being their new destination, just by the look in her eyes. For those of us who know Manson history, we know that is indeed where they’ll go soon enough. Where things will get darker, dirtier than ever before.

Back to Ken, whose life is in shambles even if he won’t fully admit it to himself. He’s losing friends, losing business acquaintances, so on. He discovers “no one” in all of California will be hiring him. Likely ever again. Seems his father-in-law has shut him down all over the place.

Hodiak follows Charmain to her meet with the CI from United Africa. He further discovers the links to the FBI. Yet Sam forges on anyway. He puts a line-up together for Kristin and she makes an identification. Cutler’s mostly concerned with credibility, although Sam has his plan in place, and he makes clear there won’t be any further help, or interference, from him. Either way, Mrs. Shafe is convinced she knows who shot Bunchy. And I believe her.

She and Brian aren’t exactly on the best terms. He still doesn’t fully support her, though he pretends. It’s so obvious he has slight problems with the Black Panthers. “Your people impoverish a generation of negroes and you don‘t expect that they‘re gonna end up in prison or gangs,” Kristin questions her husband. There is a huge issue between them and that wedge will only drive in further.

More and more, Ken sees that his daughter isn’t made for a normal life. She wants so badly to find the family once more. Well, the family’s out taking care of business, as Charlie leaves the police station while Tex and Sadie kill Ralph waiting outside. Took them long enough to get him finished off.

At the station, Sam finds his case being swept up by the FBI. Simultaneously, Charmain is being kicked around for helping Hodiak. Again she’s back to being treated like the little girl around the precinct, back to getting coffee refills probably. Very sad.

So with Ralph dead, Charlie fearing reprisal by the Black Panthers if they find out who killed a “blackbird” – as he calls them – Sadie suggests they all head out to Spahn Ranch. Where Papa Charlie says they’ll play “cowboys and Indians.” Jesus. What a delusional bit of madness. And more is coming.

“You, Sam, are addicted to being a detective,” Billie tells the detective while they lie in bed. She makes a great point. He’s addicted to “solving mysteries” that keep him from working on himself. Perhaps the reason he and many cops find themselves lost in the work, forgetting everything else around them.

The Shafes are separating, at least for the time being. Kristin doesn’t like that he’s a part of a terrible organisation. She’s pretty right, that he works for “the enemy.” Only makes sense she can’t stick around. Especially in the late ’60s, couldn’t be an easy time for a white cop and a female Black Panther to be together.

Out at their new digs, Charlie receives Emma back in his arms, as well as her father Ken; been quite a long time. They both get taken back into the fold.

We jump to quickly to August 8th in ’69. Ken confronts Charlie telling him to stop whatever is about to happen. Tex and Sadie are ready to go, but Ken begs for his daughter not to be involved. Too late.

Another solid episode getting deeper into the bit of Season 2. I love this god damn show. I don’t care about the liberties they take with facts concerning Manson or otherwise. They get the spirit of the 1960s, the danger of Manson, all of it, and they put it together nicely with a lot of intrigue for us to hang on. Excited to see “Can You Take Me Back?” next.

Fathersonholygore.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Mon 5 Sep - 4:02

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Mon 5 Sep - 5:35

‘Aquarius’ S2: E10 ‘Blackbird’ and E11 ‘Can You Take me Back’ Review

80%   Review Score: 8 / 10

Aquarius (TV Series) (2015)
Emma (Emma Dumont) and her father (Brian F. O’Byrne) reconcile, though as Emma recovers from her stay in the institution, she wants to find Charlie (Gethin Anthony). Hodiak (David Duchovny) investigates the Black Panther shooting, though it might come at Charmaine’s (Claire Holt) expense. Shafe (Grey Damon) also finds an old friend at rehab.

**Spoiler Alert**

This review contains spoilers for S2E10 and S2E11 of Aquarius. If you haven’t yet watched, read at your own risk.

The Good

Emma and Ken bond. While Emma being a normal teenage girl and recovering her memories is actually slightly disconcerting, it’s nice to see her understanding her father and bonding with him. Ken isn’t the best guy. We know he’s killed people, or tried to kill people, or buried the bodies other people have killed, and he and Emma have never really see eye to eye. As Emma starts to recover her pre-shock-treatment memories though, Ken is acting more and more like her father. Of course, most fathers and daughters don’t relax together with drugs, but it seems to work for them.

Hodiak takes over Bunchy’s case. Thanks to Kristin’s convictions and Charmaine’s tip, Hodiak knows that Bunchy being gunned down during a Panthers meeting isn’t just a random attack. While other detectives clearly give Kristine the runaround as she gives them information, Hodiak dives right in, believing that he can catch the people responsible, even if it puts him up against the FBI. You have to admire his tenacity, even if we know a lesser cop would be off the squad if they pulled half of the things Hodiak does.

Sadie and Tex prove their loyalty. Sadie has done some tough things for Charlie in the past, but last we saw of Tex, he was a relatively gentle guy who was afraid of getting out of control on drugs. Apparently Sadie and Charlie have rubbed off on him as he and Sadie ruthlessly stab one of Charlie’s perceived enemies. For Sadie, this seems like a natural progression. But for Tex, this seems very sudden.

Hodiak is addicted to mysteries. What an excellent assessment of his character, and really a great assessment of most of the detectives you see in primetime dramas.

Photo Credit: NBC Universal Television

Ken is revealed in the flashforwards. Up to this point, we’ve had glimpses of nearly every main character during the night of the Manson family murder spree, but like most of the audience, I didn’t really consider that either of Emma’s parents might have had anything to do with that night. Ken though seems to know just what Charlie is up to since he asks Charlie to stop and not involve Emma in what’s happening. Of course, now that we know Ken has no job and is trying to find himself by living with Charlie and his girls, it does make a little more sense.

Roy has Shafe, his CI, and Kristin at his mercy. We all knew that Roy would come back into play at some point. He’s not the kind of guy who takes kindly to being fooled by undercover cops. The fact that he can’t find a way to get to Charmaine right away though speaks volumes about just how good she is at covering her tracks. He has to go through Vic to get to Shafe, use Shafe’s wife against him, to get to Charmaine. It’s a long and twisty path, but it provides for a tense standoff. And it finally allows Charmaine to take on Roy.

Charmaine and Hodiak face off. Charmaine proves that she’s outgrown him as he tells her to take whatever deal is offered her from Internal Affairs, and she tells him she doesn’t need to. When she told him that she’d learned from the best, she wasn’t wrong. Hodiak taught her how to see what everyone else might have missed. She knows that everything that Hodiak has done has to catch up with him.

The Bad

The first hour is incredibly choppy. I’m not sure if scenes were cut or if the writers simply expected the audience to be able to make leaps between scenes for themselves, but it felt like there were whole sections of story missing.

Charlie in jail with Ralph. The crux of the “Blackbird” episode is simply Charlie quoting the song to Ralph while they’re both handcuffed in a cell. We get a little bit of Emma having lost her way and her father realizing she wasn’t ready to fly on her own, so to speak. And we get Kristin leaving Shafe because she realizes that they aren’t on the same page when it comes to racial conflict. Those are better ways of interpreting the song than simply having Charlie taunt Ralph with the lyrics.

There is a four month jump between episodes. I can’t help but feel, since we’ve seen similar jumps in the last few episodes, that the writers were rushing through events to get to the big finale. It’s almost like they were worried that the writing was on the wall and that they won’t be getting a season three, so they wanted to speed through as much storyline as possible to get to the night that most people have at least heard about.

Where’s the concern for Sadie’s baby? Everyone is incredibly concerned for Mary’s little boy (the one that Sadie actually stole from a hospital last season) when he’s taken away from her and they want him back, but we only get one mention of the fact that Sadie had a baby when she has to change a diaper. That’s it.

The Questions

Does Emma participate in the murders? From the flashforwards, it looks like she’s brought along for the ride, but that she freezes up and watches everything unfold as she cries. But is that really all that happens?

Is Hodiak really retiring? I have a hard time believing that he can just walk away, even with Internal Affairs out for blood. And what happened with his serial killer case in the months that IA has been investigating him and we jumped ahead in the timeline?

Will Charmaine ever become a detective? Everyone wants her to work on cases for them, but everyone also wants to blame her when the cases go badly. She keeps getting put in tough spots and ending up back at the station, serving coffee, and fetching files.

Grading the episode: A much better one-two punch than last week’s episodes, these were stronger, faster paced, and had more interesting stories to watch unfold. B

ThemovienetWork.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Mon 5 Sep - 5:37

jade1013