The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

2x08 - While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 2x08 - While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Post by jade1013 on Fri 26 Aug - 20:01

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 109213
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Sat 27 Aug - 20:09

Link for download episode

Sendspace

sir
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 100670
Registration date : 2007-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sat 27 Aug - 20:11

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Sun 28 Aug - 2:33

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

Your favorite David's role : Hank Moody and Fox Mulder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sun 28 Aug - 3:06

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Sun 28 Aug - 10:36

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sun 28 Aug - 10:39

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Mon 29 Aug - 4:19

AQUARIUS – SEASON 2, EPISODE 8: “WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS”

NBC’s Aquarius
Season 2, Episode 8: “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”
Directed by Nelson McCormick
Written by Alexandra Cunningham

Last we left the characters of Aquarius, Detective Brian Shafe (Grey Damon) is a junkie, Emma Karn (Emma Dumont) was being taken away in a black car, and of course Detective Sam Hodiak (David Duchovny) was caught in the middle.

We open in 1969, the night of August 10th. Shafe is full of blood. He makes a call, but it’s clear he is strung out. He paces through the scene, as his voice narrates in voice-over while he takes a look at all the bodies. He lies on the couch looking awful.

Switch back to 12 months prior. He’s going through the motions of withdrawal, sweating hard in bed and sick from the smell of coffee. “You don‘t have a fever,” his wife Kristin (Milauna Jackson) clearly knows there’s something other than a flu at hand.

And Hodiak, he’s got his own crutch: a little liquor in the coffee. But at least he’s not waking up sweating and crawling out of his skin. He has other things to which he must tend. He got a call last episode that’s kept him intrigued, although nothing else is turning up to help.

Out of nowhere, Charles Manson (Gethin Anthony) shows up to see Hodiak outside the precinct. He’s looking for Emma, who hasn’t returned yet since being whisked away in that black car. Oh, he ain’t  happy. One of his women have wandered off; not good for a misogynist like Charlie. “Ever know somethin‘ but you don’t know how you know it?” he asks Sam cryptically. There is lots of tension here. Whereas Manson is worried for Emma, he isn’t worried for the right reasons. What I’m excited to see now is more of the intersection between Charlie and Hodiak, how that will play out further in the back end of this season.

Ken Karn (Brian F. O’Byrne) is off taking care of some business. He has Nixon sneakiness to be done concerning Vietnam. He meets with a diplomat from their government (François Chau of Lost fame). A little bit of iced coffee can’t exactly smooth over Karn’s message. He wants to make a deal, one to do with the ceasefire and waiting for Tricky Dick to slip into the White House. Love the political intrigue mixed in with the other various subplots.

At the precinct, Hodiak is looking into a hit and run incident. He visits the ME. Turns out the incident was just a drunk man being run over while passed out in an alley. Two older women show up back at the station to claim the body, which leads Sam into a conversation about his last name’s Ukrainian origin, as the women are from there. He comes to believe they “might be murderers.” Can’t wait to see more of this. For now, Hodiak gets a visit from an old female friend; she’s brought him food, dressed up nicely, and isn’t there just to see him casually. It’s Ed Cutler’s (Chance Kelly) wife, upset about the affair her husband had with Sam’s now deceased ex-wife Opal. So Sam does some lying and promises the lady Ed is taking her on a trip soon. Yeah, right.

But the most trouble is when Sam gets home to find Charlie Manson digging around in his things. That does not sit well with the detective, obviously. He’s not happy to be pressed so hard by a dirty hippy. Charlie just wants to find Emma: “I don‘t like to wonder, I like to know.” They talk over the loaf Cutler’s wife made, as Charlie eats and Sam susses out more information.

Shafe continues sweating through his withdrawals. His wife Kristin tries to help him by giving him some milk of magnesia, grapefruit juice, a peanut butter sandwich. She is a loving woman, even if he is slowly becoming less likeable and harder to deal with, and I’m not sure how long they’ll last. Kristin worries, she wants her husband to get better. Brian’s secrets don’t help, either.

The loaf conversation continues between Sam and Charlie. Most of it goes the way of the latter’s persuasion. While he spouts off, it’s clear Hodiak reads his every move, his every sentence and phrasing, the way he responds, and so on. Furthermore, the psychology of Manson comes out. Sam knows that Charlie only serves to “use people” and makes the women in his clan feel as if they were the ones who chose the life, not him. We all know the truth, too. They later end up jamming together on the guitar, some “Run Around Sue” and other tunes. Except Charlie keeps spying the gun on top of the fridge. Uh oh. Hodiak gets his new sleazy pal out without any violence, but it’s the air of impending violence that hangs thick over them.

In other news, Mr. Karns heads back to the diplomat’s office later, after hours. Yes – you know why. Ken has that sexual prowess going for him.

The withdrawals are getting better for Brian, only there’s no assurance his marriage will get better. For now, Kristin talks about her brother being at war, and how people over there used drugs to take away the pain of they’d done. We find out Shafe knew her brother, they were soldiers and that’s how he got introduced to Kristin. There’s an empathetic nature about her. She knew when they met he had a darkness in him, so this has all come part and parcel with their love. “I‘m sorry, baby,” he moans to her in the throes of his terrible addiction.

Sam is trying to figure out if those two Ukrainian women are in fact killers. He’s got his buddy Joe Wilson (Brian Goodman) hoping to get back into the detective work again, doing his best to help. In league with Sam’s uncle Don Hodiak (David Proval), they have the Ukrainian women together, starting a fight, which helps Don come up with a translation. Good job, fellas! The old ladies know more than they let on.

Later, Hodiak calls father Ken looking for his daughter Emma. Of course he doesn’t know and eggs Sam on saying “ask my wife” and none of it leads anywhere. Sam also gets a call from Dennis Wilson – he spills the beans to the Beach Boy about Charlie and his truest intentions. That’s going to make for an interesting situation all around.

Finally, we cut back to Shafe at the murder scene during ’69. His mind is breaking, he sees terrifying images. Then Charlie appears next to him: “Rise,” he whispers.

That is one of the words left scrawled in blood at the same murder scene, in real life when the murders occurred. Spooky.

What a fabulous episode! A great return after the Olympics coverage. Aquarius doesn’t get enough love, but that’s fine. Those who love it, we dig it hard.

Next episode is “Sexy Sadie” and I’m excited to see where Dt. Hodiak, Dt. Shafe, Charlie, and the rest of the gang end up.

Fathersonholygore.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Mon 29 Aug - 4:21

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Mon 29 Aug - 5:51

‘Aquarius’ S2: E08 and 09 Review

By Amanda Joyce August 29, 2016 08:18AM EDT

Aquarius (TV Series) (2015)
The show finally returned this weekend with a double episode on its new night and time - Saturdays at 9PM. After Emma (Emma Dumont) was prevented from returning to her “family” in the last episode, Charlie (Gethin Anthony) goes to Hodiak (David Duchovny) for help finding her. Meanwhile, Shafe (Grey Damon) finds it difficult to deal with his addiction.

**Spoiler Alert**

This review contains spoilers for Aquarius S2E08 and 09. If you haven’t yet watched the episodes, read at your own risk.

The Good

“Look in a mirror, Sam.” Charlie tracking down Hodiak to ask him to look into a missing Emma doesn’t surprise me. He only knows so many people that are willing to look out for Emma’s well being, after all. What does surprise me is just how friendly he is toward him. I especially loved his “concern” for Hodiak having his own demons haunting him.

Charlie tries the three-layer loaf. I can’t get over 60s party cuisine. It sounds disgusting. Hodiak clearly agrees, so it’s amazing that Charlie can chow down on it without a second thought.

Hodiak gets a little history out of Charlie. Charlie likes to make up a lot of stories, but as he and Hodiak chat over the three-layer loaf and drinks, he does tell him about his previous wives and children, which seem relatively historically accurate, so it’s nice for the show to touch on them when so much of the rest of the show is not exactly accurate. I also love that while Hodiak and Charlie are playing nice, Hodiak is essentially interrogating him about Emma’s place with his girls. Of course, Charlie is also keeping an eye on just where Hodiak put his gun.

Photo Credit: NBC Universal Television

Shafe is looking rough. The makeup team did a great job on Grey Damon because as Shafe is going through withdrawals, he looks like death warmed over. Damon puts out a great performance in the episode as he writhes in pain and goes between sadness, sickness, and anger while Kristin tries her best to help him.

Shafe also realizes how lucky he is. After a hard night, he and Kristin talk about his past drug use during the war and their relationship in general. Not only does he apologize for lying to her, but also for putting her through everything he has since he started using undercover. As a viewer, I really want to believe that this moment means they’re going to be okay, but we’ve seen those flashforwards that indicate Shafe doesn’t stay clean, so the moment is bittersweet.

Dennis leaves Charlie and the girls out in the cold. This is a scene that is inspired by real events. While Charles Manson did have a Beach Boys connection, the relationship went sour as Charles showed his true colors. Here, it’s Hodiak who enlightens Dennis as to what Charlie is really like, leaving Charlie and his girls stranded.

Hodiak stands in Emma’s corner. It’s strange to think that Hodiak is the only one who is actually in Emma’s corner. Her mother has her in an institution because Emma embarrasses her. Charlie wants her back because she’s good at getting him what he needs from other people. There’s no one who is interested in Emma’s well being except for Hodiak. He’s the only one willing to let her make her own mistakes and grow up to become her own person.

Any interaction Kristin has with Hodiak and other police officers. I just love Kristin. She’s such a great character, so any time we get to see her in a scene with someone other than Shafe is so great. I love that she doesn’t take any crap from the other officers and that she and Hodiak can talk about Black Panther business in the middle of a police station. Their dynamic is especially fun.

The Bad

These episodes move incredibly slowly. It’s unfortunate that it’s these two episodes that the show came back on after being gone a month. They don’t have the kind of pull to bring people right back into the story, and the show is already going to suffer viewers from the move to Saturday nights.

Shafe’s hallucinations. Shafe’s flashforwards in the first episode seem to actually be hallucinations, at least partly. We know from previous flashforwards that he’s using in the future, but the ambiguity of the bodies he sees, the blood on him, the flashes between different bodies - it makes me wonder how much of his flashforwards we can actually trust to be true. It almost looks like his using in the future might be sparked by the murder investigation into Sharon Tate and her friends, but it’s not entirely clear. It’s the muddying of the waters that bothers me most.

The shots of dead bodies. I’m also not a fan of the repeated shots of the dead bodies, especially the pregnant actress. It seems to be for shock value more than anything, and the show can do more without getting that graphic.

Photo Credit: NBC Universal Television

We get a three month time jump. It’s obvious that episode eight was originally planned as a midseason break because we speed very far ahead in episode nine. The jump seems out of nowhere as suddenly Shafe is almost clean, Bunchy is in trouble again, and Emma’s getting visited by Hodiak every other week for three months, right up until election night.

There’s very little Charmaine. It’s almost like the show isn’t entirely sure how to use Charmaine or how to tell the story of a woman in the 60s on the force. She’s absent from the first episode and barely in the second as part of an undercover investigation. Her stories are always so great, and it’s a shame the writers don’t use her more.

Hodiak’s serial killer case doesn’t even register. Other than a few copycat photos, the case that’s supposed to make the arc for the season doesn’t even get a mention.

The Questions:

How does Emma end up pregnant and back with Charlie? As we close out the episode, she’s coming out of electroshock therapy and she can’t even remember people’s names. Her recovery process must be quick if she’s able to go on a crime spree with Charlie in the not too distant future.

Is Kristin going to be okay? The last time we see her tonight is at a Black Panther meeting that gets shot up. Bunchy is likely not going to make it with multiple wounds, but we don’t see if Kristin gets hit. If something happens to her, Shafe’s relapse will definitely make sense.

Grading the episodes: Overall, the second hour was much stronger than the first, but these episodes really had a pacing issue as they were so slow with only a few bursts of moving the story forward. C-

The Movie Network

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Mon 29 Aug - 5:55

jade1013