The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

THE X-FILES #3 - Dia de Muertos, Part 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

THE X-FILES #3 - Dia de Muertos, Part 2

Post by jade1013 on Sat 19 Mar - 7:16

I don't know if I mentioned, but I finished my X-FILES short story a couple weeks back (finally). It'll be in Vol 3 of the Anthology series and explores what grown up Gibson Praise -- the "Glasses Wearing Man" -- and his mysteriously resurrected Syndicate were up to in the days before THE X-FILES: SEASON 10 #1 launched.

The final issue of THE X-FILES: SEASON 11 will drop on 3/30, but I had another Gibson story in me yet.

Joe Harris

Last edited by jade1013 on Sun 19 Jun - 20:28; edited 3 times in total

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 108984
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: THE X-FILES #3 - Dia de Muertos, Part 2

Post by sir on Sat 19 Mar - 7:25

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 100670
Your favorite David's role : Hank Moody and Fox Mulder
Registration date : 2007-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 25 Mar - 21:28

THE X-FILES #3 coming at you in June, fool.

The X-Files #3
Joe Harris (w) • Matthew Dow Smith (a) • menton3 (c)
THE X-FILES is back and bigger than ever! Now, with the participation of Chris Carter, IDW Publishing is proud to present the continuing adventures of iconic FBI Agents FOX MULDER and DANA SCULLY! Tune in here for the finale of "Muerta"!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

The X-Files #3 -- Photo Variant
Joe Harris (w) • Matthew Dow Smith (a) • photo (c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
•Executive produced by The X-Files creator Chris Carter!
•Ask your retailer about the variant graphic cover!

Joe Harris

Last edited by jade1013 on Sat 1 Jul - 9:32; edited 1 time in total

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Sat 26 Mar - 4:48

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sun 19 Jun - 20:24

Hey, The X-Files #3 comes out next week!

STORY BY
Joe Harris
ART BY
Matthew Dow Smith
COLORS BY
Jordie Bellaire
LETTERS BY
Dezi Sienty
COVER BY
menton3
PUBLISHER
IDW
COVER PRICE:
$3.99
RELEASE DATE
Jun 22nd, 2016

THE X-FILES is back and bigger than ever! Now, with the participation of Chris Carter, IDW Publishing is proud to present the continuing adventures of iconic FBI Agents FOX MULDER and DANA SCULLY! Tune in here for the finale of "Muerta"!

Joe Harris

Last edited by jade1013 on Sat 1 Jul - 9:38; edited 1 time in total

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Mon 20 Jun - 3:16

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 22 Jun - 5:14

Comic Book Review – The X-Files #3

June 22, 2016 by Tony Black

Tony Black reviews The X-Files #3…

THE X-FILES is back and bigger than ever! Now, with the participation of Chris Carter, IDW Publishing is proud to present the continuing adventures of iconic FBI Agents FOX MULDER and DANA SCULLY! Tune in here for the finale of “Muerta”!

The second of the first two-part story from Joe Harris in this new IDW run of The X-Files, and ‘Dia de Muertos’ part 2 manages to successfully conclude an intriguing tale concerning Mexican folklore, and the worship of Santa Muerte. The cliffhanger–which saw Mulder in imminent danger from a red eyed monster hiding out in his boot–doesn’t perhaps unfurl in as exciting or tense a manner as you might wish, but Harris doesn’t wait to throw us into the story as Mulder & Scully attempt to uncover the mystery of the rather savage deaths from their usual, different, angles. For Mulder it’s throwing himself at the mercy of some heavy duty Mexican cartel folk, while Scully stays in the autopsy bay attempting to figure out the cause of death.

We get here, naturally, more of a focus on the other of the two Mexican children central to the dark mystery of the story – Enrico. Harris gives us some flashbacks which establish Enrico’s story, exposing the enigma of the mysterious Justiniano, which does allow for a particularly nasty human villain to terrorise this second part. While we do have a clear mythological beastie here, it’s really as much about the human monsters who use Mexican immigrants like cattle, and subtly commenting on the abuse of such migrants by exploitative workers on the US side of the border. Would it make a good filmed episode? Maybe. Matthew Dow Smith layers this with enough blood and creeping terror in his panels that, along with Harris’s quite chilling narrative and a classic X-Files open ended final moment in the solid tradition of the show, you almost wish that this may have formed part of the recent event series.

It’s been a good start for the IDW tie-in series so far, three issues in. Joe Harris has had to change narrative tack, telling stories outside of the mythology and not beholden to continuity in the way he was much more free to with his own ‘alternate Season 10’, but it’s not made his take on The X-Files any less strong. These two opening tales have been in the vein of solid standalone ‘monster of the week’ stories and while it would be nice to see him layer in whatever mythology and continuity Chris Carter may allow going forward, these in-continuity tales are well worth enjoying while we wait for Season 11.

The X-Files #3 is out on June 22nd.

Flickering Myth

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 22 Jun - 5:40

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Thu 30 Jun - 3:44

The X-Files #3 (IDW Publishing)

Observations

Fictional gangsters who are cruel to kids never come to a good end. Wish it worked that way in the real world.
Dear Mulder: When breaking into a facility, please don’t ask “Who’s there?” if you hear something.
Hard to believe Scully has never seen anything like this before, but I’ll go with it.
Mulder has some Charlie Brown-type luck sometimes…
…which always inevitably flips to Parker Lewis levels of good fortune (shout out to my fellow 90’s kids who get that reference).
Nice to see creepy(ish) kids using their powers for good. Sort of.
Is It Good?

Well, at least we got an actual story this time around. It was fairly predictable and extremely formulaic, but Joe Harris’ knack for good dialogue and Matthew Dow Smith’s excellent pencils still managed to make it enjoyable.

Honestly, this is one of those stories that may have played out better as a TV episode. Loath as I am to take away anything from the storytelling potential of comics vs. television, the narrative in this issue lacked much of tension it appeared to be banking on. Maybe it was due to the lack of a clearly viewed monster combined with a heavy reliance on sound effects. I get what Harris was going for (and it wasn’t half bad), but the atmosphere never quite reaches the chilling level it aspires to.

Also, Mulder and Scully don’t really feel that important in this one. Oh sure, they’re still the main characters, but they both feel strangely coincidental to the plot.

That being said, this isn’t a bad issue at all. While I’ll always prefer a story that surprises me, Harris can always make the familiar X-Files plot riffs sound good.

The Good

As usual, the artwork and dialogue by this creative team is very good.
Unlike last issue, we actually get a story this time!

The Bad

Unfortunately, the story is about as formulaic and predictable as it gets. Still good, but nowhere near the best we've seen from this series.

Average 6

Adventuresinpoortaste.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Thu 30 Jun - 3:49

Review: The X-Files #3

(IDW 2016)
Writer: Joe Harris
Art: Matthew Dow Smith
Colors: Jordie Bellaire
Letters: Dezi Sienty
Cover Menton 3

Following the success of the X-Files triumphant return in the Fox TV event series earlier this year, Special FBI Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully’s investigations into the unexplained continues in The X-Files #3, the all-new ongoing comic book series from IDW Publishing together with the participation of Chris Carter.

Delving into powerful issues and dark themes, The X-Files #3 presents Agents Mulder and Scully with one of their most thought-provoking and challenging cases so far in the thrilling finale of “Muertos”!
While looking into a grim crime scene in the Rio Grande Valley, Texas last issue, Mulder and Scully’s investigation became embroiled with the fate of two young siblings – Rosa and Enrico – who recently made a desperate bit to escape from the mysterious Justiniano and cross the US-Mexican border with other migrants on a freight train – but something else decidedly otherworldly was watching over them.

The only survivor from the horrific crime scene was interviewed by Mulder and Scully at the Immigration Detention Center Lardeo, the young girl called Rosa, but she was too traumatized to help the Agents and her brother, Enrico, is still missing. Now, as Scully autopsies the mutilated victims while Mulder follows up a new lead on the case, the mystery of what happened to Enrico and the strange connection to the Mexican Day of the Dead rituals slowly begin to converge in The X-Files #3, when it seems that Mulder and Scully have inadvertently stumbled dangerously close to the truth without even realizing it.

The X-Files #3 Dia De Muertos Part 2 provides a dark and mesmerizing conclusion to this storyline as writer Joe Harris masterfully builds the tension and suspense. Emulating the rich atmospheric qualities of the TV series to perfection, this issue delves further into the terrible acts of the cartel men and the plight which drove Enrico and Rosa to flee from Justiniano. As events flashback to Oaxca, in Mexico, we begin to understand the sinister forces surrounding Enrico and Rosa, and how Enrico came to serve this ancient power to protect his sister.

Mulder finds himself in big trouble while investigating the truck in the Laredo impound when Justiniano’s men turn up. While Mulder gets caught up in a carnage of supernatural cross fire, Scully’s autopsies are interrupted when two more victims – with strikingly similar injuries – are brought in, and the tenuous connection with Enrico begins to fall into place. Meanwhile, Mulder finds himself at the mercy of the henchman Leonel, as the issue build towards a gruesome finale, and Enrico repays Justiniano “kindness” in the most ruthless way imaginable.

Matthew Dow Smith’s artwork is exceptionally good, it impressively conveys the dark, brooding atmosphere of this issue, and effortlessly envelops you in the story and focuses your attention on the characters – especially Enrico and Rosa. The opening flashback is instrumental in achieving this, revealing more about the circumstances that drove Enrico to serve such dark powers. The colors by Jordie Bellaire cultivate the impending sense of dread and horror of the dark power Enrico has unleashed, the lurid visceral tones of savage bloodshed inside the truck is frighteningly brutal in its intensity, while the scenes in the Medical Examiners Office are awash with, cool, clinical blue shades, and the showdown in the mansion is swathed in deep shadows and vivid crimson bloodletting. The scenes with Mulder and Scully towards the end of the issue are also pitched perfectly, Matthew Dow Smith has a great handle on these characters and the rich legacy of The X-Files, and the seamless fusion of story and art that’s achieved here in this issue is utterly sublime.

The issue rounds everything off in classic X-Files fashion, with an uncanny series of events gradually unfolding which turns everything we perceived completely on its head to entwine tragedy and the unexplained with a poignant, and fittingly chilling coda. With its hauntingly beautiful cover by Menton 3, The X-Files #3 is another fantastic issue in this new IDW series from Joe Harris, Matthew Dow Smith, and Jordie Bellaire. If you love The X-Files, this is the comic book series is essential reading, and highly recommended!

PaulBowler-ProfilePic1Paul Bowler is a self-Confessed Sci-Fi Geek, Doctor Who fan, and Zombie Disposal Expert. He likes movies, comic books, and all things PS3. He likes to write about his interests, would love to write a novel one day, and also enjoys chatting to the many people he has gotten to know on Twitter. When he’s not busy being an Impossible Astronaut, he likes to take a break from his adventures in time and space to enjoy some of his favourite tv shows and movies, preferably with a nice cuppa tea & a sandwich! 

Bagandbored.net

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Thu 30 Jun - 3:57

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Fri 1 Jul - 4:19

The X-Files 2016 #3, "Dia De Muertos," Part Two Review

In this month’s issue of The X-Files, we conclude the two-parter, “Dia De Muertos” or “Day of The Dead”. At the end of part one, Mulder had set off in an attempt to find Enrico, while Scully worried about the young boy’s traumatized sister. Find out what happens next after the jump in our recap of issue three.

In this issue, Scully is, of course, stuck in a morgue doing yet more autopsies. This is pretty much all she does for the entire issue unless you count arriving a few moments too late to witness anything unusual at the end. A classic Scully move if ever there was one, but also one that surely, more than twenty years on, we’ve moved past?

Mulder, meanwhile, has snuck into the impound lot where the truck from the previous issue is being stored and for some unfathomable reason, he vaults the fence to examine it. This is despite him being an active agent on the case with the authority to investigate a previous crime scene without any need for spy theatrics. Without them, of course, he couldn’t find himself trapped in the van when a bunch of cartel goons also show up to check out the truck for evidence of what happened to their friends. Before he can be discovered, Mulder witnesses a creature appear from the shadows and attack the men, conveniently throwing him out of the van and onto the ground where he is caught by the cartel’s U.S. leader Leonel.

By now, Enrico has found his way back to the cartel-owned mansion he seems to have once worked at as a house-boy and, judging by the number of bodies and the blood-soaked floor, has brought Santa Muerte along with him. Leonel also arrives at the house with Mulder at gunpoint. Empowered by the angel, Enrico launches into a speech about the evils of Justiniano and his cartel until Leonel has heard enough and opens fire. The air turns red and before Mulder (or us readers) can understand what’s happening, Leonel is dead and Enrico is bleeding out on the floor from a gunshot wound.

Scully and the local law enforcement naturally arrive too late to help, and in his dying breaths, Enrico sees someone with “angel’s wings”. Scully decides this is the time for a little exposition on the history of Justiniano’s cartel, but thanks to one of his leaps of logic, Mulder races back to the compound where they find Rosa missing. It’s unclear whether or not he believes Rosa has become the Santa Muerte herself, or whether Enrico’s sacrifice for his sister allowed her to command the being, either way, Rosa has somehow returned to Mexico to exact the children’s final revenge on Justiniano himself.

My initial thoughts on this issue were that it falls into the same traps that so many of these comics have before it. It’s unnecessarily convoluted and awkward to follow. No matter what type of “empowerment” narrative you may weave around it, using traumatized children as weapons against a drugs cartel, plus insinuating inappropriate activity between a cartel leader and a young girl, feels more than a little tacky. I did appreciate that this minor plot point was required to make Enrico take certain choices in order to save his sister, but once again, it felt as if the female character was being made to exist solely to motivate the male.

However, a conversation with our editor, Avi, shone new light on the story. Avi has a familiarity with the lore behind Santa Muerte, something I wonder how many readers in the U.S. will share. For someone coming to the story with no knowledge of her, Santa Muerte was portrayed in my eyes purely as a demonic being, one Enrico risked praying to in order to take revenge on the cartel and paid the price for. My personal lack of knowledge around the culture means that the other side of Santa Muerte, the mother figure and protector, is lost entirely in images of murderous red eyes emerging from the shadows. Reading back through the story with the benefit of a deep conversation with someone familiar with the culture produces an entirely different story, one in which the poor immigrant children risk taking on supernatural powers to save themselves and get revenge on their oppressors. It's a more powerful story and a better one for that.

Of course the knowledge that helped me understand it all came from an external source and not from within the pages, and not many people in my shoes will share my benefits. Today, I feel that this story has more in common with "Teso Dos Bichos" and "Hell Money". Those episodes were panned by U.S. audiences because they focused on myths and fears unfamiliar to them, and lost their messages in translation. I love that The X-Files has tried over the years to bring in a more international view of the paranormal, but without adequate background knowledge those stories easily become confused, and I'm not sure the few pages of a comic book can provide adequate space to cover the base knowledge required for Western audiences to truly appreciate what's being written.

Another issue here is that in such a female-driven story, Scully and Rosa's roles are essentially non-existent. The two main females are relegated to the background, while Mulder, Enrico, and the cartel members carry on as if they were in an action movie. How much better would it have been to see Scully - who we well know has much in her past that would allow her to identify with a vengeful, punishing feminine spirit - taking the lead here, rather than remaining in Mulder's shadow? Hopefully, next month’s issue about “a dark [Scully] family secret”, will give Scully more to do than autopsies and bursting through doors heroically late, but so far this series is at best, uninspiring for her.

Xfiles.news

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 1 Jul - 4:20

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 13 Jul - 20:59

Joe Harris on The X-Files #3 and Santa Muerte

It's been a couple of weeks since IDW released The X-Files #3, in which Scully and Mulder faced down Santa Muerte, a spirit of myth that felt like some of the monster-of-the-week episodes from early seasons of the TV series.

Before the fourth issue hits the stands later this month, it seemed like a good time to talk about #3 and remind everybody that one of the best licensed comics adaptations in recent memory is still going strong.

Writer Joe Harris joined us to talk about the episode, and tease what's next.

This issue opens as a pretty straightforward crime comic for a few pages before it eases into The X-Files. Do you feel like even in the multi-part stories, you kind of want to give each month a “cold open?”

We've always, from back at the beginning with Season 10, opened with teasers that--at least in my own mind--would leave you hanging on a beat where you could, hopefully, hear that minimal, iconic Mark Snow line play without the television doing it for you.

When it comes to the second part of a two part story, I think we switch things up something... either a straight-up, cold open that relates to the overall but might not pick up right where part one left off... or a straight-up continuation of whatever situation we left behind at the end of last issue.

When you’re doing a story where you’re writing not just about another culture, but about its myths and the like, do have a favorite resource or resources to make sure it comes through sounding credible?

I tend to start with Google and narrow things down from there. Smile

Comicbook.com

Writing for the cartels is kind of its own subgenere at this point. Do you think working in larger-than-life horror and superhero type of stories for so long helps you to kind of take something that could be the biggest, most fantastical element of most stories and integrate it into something bigger?

I guess I'm comfortable using current events as subject matter and grist for the X-Files mill, so it feels very natural to me to take something in the news and certainly worthy of it's own story in which it features as a subject... like the crisis of child migration from Central America and Mexico, the cartels, or even the shopping mall mass shooting episode that opened the first issue of this series.

I think my tendency to look at a piece of subject matter and see the potential to "speculative fiction" the crap out of it is what led me to horror, superheroes and now the X-Files. Or got me ready for them anyway.

I always kind of chuckle — I guess this is just the nature of serialized storytelling, but I always find it funny when somebody says something to Mulder like “You think you know what death is, don’t you?” As a writer, do you have to kind of continuously remind yourself that the people around the leads don’t understand this is a Tuesday for them?

It gets hard, sometimes. I actually had Mulder and Scully slightly tease breaking that wall in issue #1 of this series, with them actually telling a police detective that, at first glance, the shooting they'd responded to doesn't really fit the description of the kind of case that typically comes to them. And it's awkward for them to say it, like they don't want to sound too douchebaggy about it. But it felt like an honest beat to explore, before things turned over and we found X-Files under the rock anyway.

I feel like Enrico has the potential to recur. Obviously you’ve done well for yourself in the creator-owned marketplace, so is there a kind of point of demarcation where you say “This is a concept or character for a work-for-hire book, this is one I could do something more with?”

It goes both ways actually, but sure. I've crafted X-Files stories out of old pitches and notions for original things. A "monster" story we did back in the "Season 10" series, "Chitter," comes to mind. And I've stumbled upon ideas while in pursuit of X-Files that turn into their own thing all the time. It's an unrefined process that often leads to frustration, exasperation and, occasionally, something cool (in diminishing order of frequency).

Santa Muerte is a really great visual. I think back to some of those early X-Files with things like the Jersey Devil, where the VFX just wasn’t entirely there so we got a lot of off-camera stuff, and vague movements. Is it nice to have somebody like Matt on board where you can basically throw anything at him and know he’ll be able to make it visually cool?

Matt's unleashed his inner-Mike Mignola on this, hasn't he? I love what he's done with this story, and always adore what Jordie brings out on top of his stuff.

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 13 Jul - 21:04

jade1013
Pix Queen