The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

2x13 - I Will

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2x13 - I Will

Post by sir on Mon 21 Mar - 17:19

Calum Worthy   -   Steven Parent

Imdb

Last edited by sir on Fri 19 Aug - 17:43; edited 1 time in total

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 100670
Your favorite David's role : Hank Moody and Fox Mulder
Registration date : 2007-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2x13 - I Will

Post by jade1013 on Tue 22 Mar - 5:22

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 109237
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Thu 24 Mar - 3:48

Director: Jonas Pate
Writers: John McNamara, Mike Moore

Imdb

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Thu 24 Mar - 4:35

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duchovny on Thu 24 Mar - 10:36

thanks
Duchovny
Phantom
Phantom

Number of posts : 16729
Emploi : Housewife
Your favorite David's role : Fox Mulder
Registration date : 2011-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Fri 19 Aug - 17:43

"AQUARIUS"

"I WILL"

09/10/2016 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Saturday) : HODIAK TRACKS DOWN THE SERIAL KILLER - A newly "retired" Hodiak (David Duchovny) tracks down the serial killer who has been tormenting him for months, without the protection and authority of his police position. Manson (Gethin Anthony) sends Tex (Cameron Deane Stewart), Sadie (Ambyr Childers), Emma (Emma Dumont) and Patty (Madisen Beaty) to 10050 Cielo Drive, where they are swept up in one of the most infamous crimes in the country's history. Grey Damon, Claire Holt, Chance Kelly, Brian F. O'Bryne and Michaela McManus also star.

Spoilertv.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 19 Aug - 17:44

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Fri 26 Aug - 17:20

In UHQ

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 26 Aug - 17:21

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Fri 26 Aug - 17:41

+2

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 26 Aug - 17:42

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Fri 26 Aug - 17:55

+ 9

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 26 Aug - 18:02

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Sat 10 Sep - 20:43

Link for download episode

4shared

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sat 10 Sep - 21:06

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Sat 10 Sep - 21:25

Watch online

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sat 10 Sep - 21:26

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Sun 11 Sep - 3:00

‘Aquarius’ Season 2 Finale- Helter Skelter Coming Down Fast

On the Season 2 finale of “Aquarius,” we got two episodes back-to-back, as seems to be the wont of many summer shows this season, from “Zoo” and “American Gothic” earlier this week, to Sunday’s “BrainDead” and Wednesday’s “Mr. Robot” finales coming soon.

I suppose it makes sense, as it allows shows to sustain a certain amount of forward momentum, though in the case of “Aquarius,” we already knew that the season was likely building up to the initial Manson murders as a climax, so it ultimately wasn’t that surprising, really.

That’s not really a criticism- we all knew that the murders were where this was headed even before they set it up that way at the beginning of the season, though I suppose, in doing so, the show likely hoped to keep viewers watching by proving to them that the big moment many were waiting patiently for (or not so patiently, in some cases) was coming up soon enough.

Alas, I’m not sure it was enough, as the ratings for the show haven’t been great, directly resulting in the show being shuffled off to Saturdays- never a great sign. Of course, NBC did the same thing to the show last season, and it still got renewed, so you never know.

However, it does seem unlikely that, no matter how much the network was willing to give such a high-profile show with a reasonably well-known cast an even break the first time around, it would be inclined to do so a second time around. So, this may well be it for the show, making it as much a series finale as a season one.

Of course, these days, that may not mean as much, given how unconventional the routes to success for some shows is, what with online streaming and other services, such as Netflix and Amazon providing alternate ways to find an audience. Factor in the fact that this show has not been inclined to play by the rules from the jump, and you never know- this may not be the end after all.

In case you don’t know, for the first season, the show was offered up online in its entirety after the initial network premiere- and what’s more, there was an uncensored, more “adult” version available that never would have been able to make the grade on network television.

This indicates that the show may well have been prepared for the possibility of shifting to another source from the get-go, and wanted to show other networks, as well as the likes of Netflix, that it was willing to take chances and push the boundaries, especially if given more leeway insofar as that goes.

Hell, as it stands, the show got away with a lot more than showing the notorious murders in fairly graphic detail- there was also all sorts of other stuff both shown and implicated that would have been unthinkable on network TV even a mere few years ago. For instance, implied orgies/group sex, rampant drug use of all varieties, and even some homosexual activity, both in terms of women and men.

Indeed, some of that sort of thing might have arguably been the problem for the show’s perhaps intended audience, those old enough to remember the time in which the murders took place. By seeking to appeal to younger audiences by being edgier than the average network show, ironically “Aquarius” might have run off the built-in audience they already were attracting.

Not that I’m complaining, mind you- I’m one of those younger viewers who weren’t even alive when the Manson murders happened. If anything, I actually really appreciated that the show wasn’t afraid to push boundaries- I kind of found that refreshing, in fact. Least of all for a network not exactly known for such things.

So, credit where credit’s due to NBC for at the very least taking the risk, and what’s more, being committed enough to give the show a second season to prove itself, in hopes that it might catch on with viewers who discovered it after the initial airing, be it via online streaming or otherwise.

Of course, at least part of that might be wanting to maintain a good working relationship with star David Duchovny, who also executive produced and even directed one half of tonight’s two-episode finale. After all, it was his name you saw, front and center, at the beginning of every show, during the eye-catching title sequence.

By giving the show a second chance at success, it stands to benefit in the future on down the line, even if NBC does cancel the show, as they could always given him another stab at something else later on. If anything, the highly-successful “X-Files” revival earlier this year proves that he still has the command to draw an audience with the right projects.

Yes, granted, that was “The X-Files,” which had a cult following before most people even knew who Duchovny was, but let’s give the man his due: “Californication” ran for seven seasons, and he was undeniably the main draw in that case. He’s earned the right to have his name above that title, for sure.

He definitely doesn’t have anything to be ashamed of here, that’s for sure. Not only was his work strong throughout the series, it was undeniably one of the best roles he’s ever had, even including those other two iconic series. It may not have the numbers of those shows, but it might well have another thing in common with “X-Files”- the potential for a cult following, no pun intended.

Indeed, this show has dark horse written all over it. Forgoing the usual approach to the Manson material, it combined truth with fiction throughout in a clever, engaging way that maintained your interest even when Manson wasn’t front and center in a given storyline.

For instance, this season saw several main subplots at the forefront: there was the ongoing storyline about the Black Panther movement and the one about detective/undercover cop Brain Shafe (Grey Damon, in a strong, should-have-been star-making performance) and how the two intersected in logical ways, given that Shafe’s wife, Kristen (Milauna Jackson) was black and involved in both the Panthers and with a white man in a time where such things weren’t as readily accepted.

I liked the way Kristen’s ongoing association with the Panthers put a strain on the marriage, while at the same time, Shafe proved his own worst enemy by getting wrapped up in drugs while undercover, which proved to not be his first rodeo, as we found out this season when it was revealed that he’d first gotten involved with the drug during the war- and that Kristen knew it and married him anyway.

All of that was fascinating to me, and extremely well-written, plotted and conceived, as well as impeccably acted by all concerned. Even the way Duchovny’s character reacted to and interacted with the Panthers was really interesting, as well as his fellow law enforcement officials, hewing close to the climate of the times while allowing for different strokes for different folks, as it were.

For a show that’s ostensibly about the Manson murders, that’s pretty impressive. Of course, in some ways, the murders were beside the point. “Aquarius” is not really about the murders so much as it was about the way the times fostered the murders in the first place.

After all, we’re talking about a time in which not only was the captain of the Black Panthers movement killed, as seen this season on the show, but also within the decade itself: the President, John F. Kennedy; his brother Robert; and the Reverend Martin Luther King- all strong leaders who sought to curb racial injustice and sought equality and fair treatment for all.

The disillusionment people must have felt as a direct result of this undoubtedly led to the rise of radical movements like the Panthers, as well the collegiate likes of the Weather Underground, also featured this season.

Just as crucially, it led to the rise of cults, which splintered the formerly free-loving, free-living hippie movement and turned them into something darker and nastier- and even dangerous, as seen with the Manson Family.

Further, through the eyes of Charmain Tully (Claire Holt), we saw the way women were often treated, even by those who were seemingly in support of them, such as Sam’s attitude towards her, which was equal parts in favor of her fair treatment and verging on outright sexism itself (i.e. his half-joking demands for her to get him some coffee).

These are two things which would seem at odds with one another, but which no doubt co-existed on an everyday basis for women in general- but especially women like Tully, who sought to elevate themselves into something more than, say, a housewife or a secretary or the like. (“Masters of Sex” also does a fine job of exploring this sort of thing.)

All of these things combined make for a captivating backdrop for a story most of us have seen told many times over, whether in the original “Helter Skelter” TV-movie or the more recent remake, or even over on Lifetime, of all places, which tackled “Manson’s Lost Girls.”

Factor in a small army of books and more than a few movies, fictionalized (i.e. Rob Zombie’s “The Devil’s Rejects,” which featured the infamous Tex Watson quote also heard in the finale: “I’m the Devil, and I’m here to do the Devil’s work.”) or otherwise (“Manson,” “The Manson Murders”), and to say it’s well-tread material is putting it mildly.

By recontextualizing the Manson family and the murders within the time in which they happened and what was going on during that time, “Aquarius” ambitiously seeks to explain how something like that could have happened in the first place- and indeed, how it might have been inevitable. That’s pretty heady stuff for a network series, but “Aquarius” rises to the occasion more often than not.

As someone who has read a few of the books about the subject, and seen quite a few movies/TV adaptations and documentaries, it was interesting to see how the show integrated fiction within the non-fiction, and if it didn’t always work, it at least made for something one couldn’t predict as to how it was going to turn out.

For instance, some of the more “case of the week”-oriented material didn’t work much at all, so it was a relief when the show essentially bailed on that sort of thing in favor of more across-the-board long-term storylines and cases that were ongoing and not wrapped up in an episode or two, such as the serial killer case Sam was dealing with, which came to a head in the final episode.

I thought that the whole serial killer thing was well-handled, and done in a way that wasn’t as predictable as it could have been, from Sam’s tracking down the killer via good, old-fashioned police work to his “Heat”-like meeting with the killer in a diner as he was closing in on the guy.

Of course, Sam’s hubris cost him in the end- or, at the very least, it cost him both his girlfriend (a wonderful, sexy Olivia Taylor Dudley, recruited from writer/producer Sera Gamble’s other show, “The Magicians”) and her ill-fated sister. If the show continues, it will be interesting to see where Sam goes from here, and if he learns anything from his experiences, or just continues doing things business as usual, consequences be damned.

Likewise, Shafe seems destined for an even bigger fall that the one he’s already had, between shooting up at a murder scene (technically at TWO murder scenes, actually!) and almost doing it at work, no less. I guess essentially losing his wife and nearly causing the death of Tully and her alike only made things worse, rather than sending him back to rehab where he belonged. Oh well.

As for the whole Manson thing, though intriguing at first, given some of the new wrinkles at hand (i.e. incorporating his now well-documented bisexuality, or at least his use of sex to manipulate others; the more gradual evolution of the “family” and its inevitable disintegration), honestly, there were a lot of times it was the least interesting thing going on in a given show.

There were even times when Manson and his ilk felt a bit like unwelcome interlopers on the very show that seemingly revolved around them, if I’m being honest. Sort of like a “Yeah, yeah, yeah, Manson’s still crazy and talking nonsense- can we get back to the other stuff now, please?” kind of reaction, you know?

But I think that just comes from over-familiarity, as I mentioned. Whenever the Manson stuff was dealt with in a way that was more reflective of the other stuff going on, it typically worked more for me than when it stuck more to the facts.

For instance, it makes more sense that a jailed Manson would embrace fascism and Hitler and emboss a swastika on his head when you discover that, like Hitler before him, he was failed artist, albeit of the musical variety, rather than the painting kind.

It’s well-known that he famously interacted with and befriended Beach Boy Dennis Wilson, for example, but it was downright engaging to see him feel like an outsider at his own shindig at Wilson’s parties or fly into a jealous rage like a petulant child when the attention wasn’t all focused on him like he wanted it to be.

If anything, it shows how Manson was more pathetic than anything else. Note, for example, that he rarely got his hands dirty for real, opting instead to get others to do his dirty work for him, almost as if he didn’t have the stomach for it. Granted, he did kill Ken (Brian F. O’Byrne), who saw, all too late, how far off the deep end Manson was- but that actually never happened IRL.

In reality, Manson was more like an inept General sending off his troops to get a job done that he wasn’t capable of doing himself. And if they didn’t do it to his liking…well, then, you better believe he threw a fit about it, to the point of going back after the fact to a freaking crime scene to make sure the details were to his liking after the “hard part” was already done. Moron.

By exposing the weak underbelly of Manson, “Aquarius” actually does his victims justice, despite some of their protests, by way of exposing what a sad excuse of a human being this guy really was (and is, no doubt).

For far too long we’ve seen the things he did practically glorified by so-called “fans,” and in some cases, be the subject of near-hero worship, despite how horrific what he did was. Not so here. This is not someone that anyone in their right mind would want to follow, and indeed, at times, it’s hard to understand how anyone would- at least without all the drugs and sex he was plying them with.

It’s a testament then, to the solid writing and especially the performance by Gethin Anthony, of “Game of Thrones” fame, that you simultaneously understand how someone could buy into it and are able to distinguish where the more alluring qualities of Manson part ways with sanity and propel themselves right into madness.

By showing us the context of all this, “Aquarius” shows how the paranoia of race relations brought to a boil, coupled with the dark side of the free-love movement and the consequences of living “off the grid” can lead to the ugly side of American life, resulting in murder, mayhem and rampant destruction of family values.

As such, even if the ratings aren’t that great, bless NBC for at least allowing such an ambitious show to exist and taking a chance on letting it tell the story their way, despite it not being for everyone by very virtue of that approach.

Rather than going the easy, exploitative route, “Aquarius” is aiming higher, and if it doesn’t always succeed…hey, at least they’re trying something different. I can live with that. And if it has to end here- well, at least they did it on their own terms. There’s something to be said for that.

What did you think of the season finale of “Aquarius”? How about the season as a whole? Did it work for you? Did you think it was an improvement over the first season? Would you like to see more? Would you still watch if the show switched networks or went over to something like Netflix or Amazon? What was the most compelling aspect of the series for you? Sound off down below, and thanks for reading!

Tvequals.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sun 11 Sep - 3:43

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Sun 11 Sep - 3:59

Smaller file

File Size: 213.22MB

Sendspace

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sun 11 Sep - 3:59

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Sun 11 Sep - 16:46

AQUARIUS – SEASON 2, EPISODE 13: “I WILL”

NBC’s Aquarius
Season 2Episode 13: “I Will”
Directed by Jonas Pate
Written by Mike Moore

Season 2 finale, we’re here! I hope there’ll be more. Although because of NBC not treating the show with proper respect it deserves I’m not holding my breath on Season 3.

This possible series finale begins on August 7th of ’69 in the early morning hours. Former detective Sam Hodiak (David Duchovny) is start off retirement by trying to track the killer of women who recently rang him up at home. Sam heard a fire engine going, so he tries to track down any calls in that area to narrow things down. Alongside is Officer Charmain Tully (Claire Holt) doing her best to help. He soon comes up with where he believes the perp to be, the neighbourhood he seems to remember from some time ago. He follows the man into a diner; his name is Gerald Dunn, they shake hands. Sam begins an uneasy conversation with Dunn. Neither willing to openly say anything about why they’re there. Except Hodiak makes clear he’s eager for retirement: “Kinda looking forward to doing whatever I wantTo whoever I wantIll see you ‘roundGerald.”

Ken Karn (Brian F. O’Byrne) has the money from his wife, and I assume Hal Banyin (Spencer Garrett), as well. He’s brought some for Charlie Manson (Gethin Anthony). Brought a bit of lovin’, too. Yowzahs. Doesn’t help him or his daughter being involved with Mr. Manson. Especially after he starts hearing more about Charlie’s “Helter Skelter” prophecy.

Over at the precinct, Ed Cutler (Chance Kelly) isn’t happy about Charmain or Detective Brian Shafe (Grey Damon) doing their respective things. He’s funny, though, and that’s all right. Poor junkie Shafe is suffering through his addiction AND not having his wife Kristin (Milauna Jackson) around anymore.

For the time being, Sam enjoys a little respite from murders, dead women and such. He and Billie (Olivia Taylor Dudley) have a bit of breakfast. She isn’t too thrilled about his addiction to chasing down suspects. I guess she’s right about him, and at the same time he only wants to do good. Speaking of which, he’s got Dt. Shafe knocking on Mr. Dunn’s door, hauling him down to the station while Sam Goes for a look inside the house.

And what does he find? A secret, nasty little dark room. Photographs everywhere. At the station, Gerald prints #1 DETECTIVE and SAMSON BENEDICT HODIAK, over and over on a pad of paper. Oh, he is a creepy man.

With everything going on, Grace Karn (Michaela McManus) is trying to keep her head straight. She finally reveals to her political lady friend the truth about her daughter Emma (Emma Dumont). Where’s Emma, exactly? Heading out on a “creepy crawly” and trying to calm her father down. He’s worried for his daughter. His sad, brainwashed, pregnant daughter. Charlie’s sending Tex (Cameron Deane Stewart) off on a mission. To do some terrifying things; painting the walls with blood, using knives. It’s August 8th, after all.

Soon enough, Sharon Tate, among others, will be bleeding to death tragically. Because Charlie’s reading to “make history.”

Meanwhile, Shafe has to let Gerald go. He and Hodiak know this is the killer, but alas – the law. Charmain helps the fellas figure out an important piece to Gerald’s story; he was married to a pin-up girl who wound up dead, just like the women he murders and poses.

Out on their mission, Tex, Sadie (Ambyr Childers) and the others start Helter Skelter into motion, as Tex murders a man in his car up the driveway to their destination.

Hodiak finds pictures of him in the developed rolls of Gerald. He then rushes to a crime scene where Billie lies murdered viciously. Now, we see where this is all leading.

Charlie rambles on to Ken about his race war plan and hiding beneath the Grand Canyon, as his “children” head inside the Tate house. Tex continues his murderous rampage: “Im the deviland Im here to do the devils business,” he eerily explains to one of his victims. Watching on, the pregnant Emma is horrified by what comes next. One by one, people are dispatched violently.

At home, Gerald is gathering up some things. Problem is that Sam Hodiak has come to pay him a visit, gun in hand. Seems that Billie got a vicious beating, no typical M.O. from Dunn. And so Sam starts in on the guy: “Im gonna hurt you,GeraldIm gonna hurt you until you tell me everything.” The whole thing comes down to Dunn being put in jail by Sam, not being there to protect his wife when she was killed. But Gerald taunts, wanting to get shot. Shafe turns up to convince Sam otherwise. We discover the dead woman was in fact Billie’s sister; still awful. At least she wasn’t also brutally killed.

The Tate house is being absolutely torn apart. Tex puts a knife in Emma’s hand and commands her to go finish off anybody that’s left. She only warns a man staying in the guest house not to come outside, or make a peep. The Manson Family starts to leave, as Emma witnesses the last of the killings take place, a horrified look in her eyes. Once it’s all over they write “something witchy” on the wall for their master. Simultaneously, Ken and Charlie have an intense confrontation leading to Karn’s death.

When everyone shows up again, Manson flips because none of his little plans turned out appropriately. No witchy words other than PIG, knives left behind. He throws a tantrum, deciding he and Emma are headed back to the Tate house.

So does Sam kill Gerald?

Mans a sick animal,” Hodiak explains to Billie, as she pleads for him not to shoot Dunn. It takes every ounce of will power in him not to, but Sam doesn’t shoot after all. He relinquishes the gun and hugs Billie with all his strength.

Over at the crime scene, Charlie orders Emma to get things done. They fix the place up a bit to his liking, although it’s still an absolutely horrific thing to see. For a second time, Emma leaves the house, nearly 6 in the morning on August 9th. Tex clears Ken’s body out back at Spahn Ranch. Everything’s in (dis)order.

At the station, everybody hears about the murder concerning Sharon Tate and her friends. Big time news, as Cutler takes the call. He even opts to tell Hodiak “you just unquit.” Things are about to get serious for the whole of Los Angeles. The Hollywood Divison station is gone mad.

Over at the Tate house, Shafe is covered in blood and holding the medallion Emma left behind. You know, the one Sam gave to Emma awhile back. Ah, the deeper connection for Hidoak to this case has come out.

What a fucking fantastic episode! Gruesome, intense, gritty. All sorts of aspects that makes this series excellent. Again, I can only hope they’ll renew the show. If not, we’re left with a lot of interesting things that could have and SHOULD HAVE been.
Please, NBC: do the right thing. At least give them a Season 3 to clue up on a proper note. I want to see Hodiak on the hot trail looking for the Manson Family, all the while junkie Shafe trying to piece together his life and do his job, PLUS WE NEED MORE CHARMAIN TULLY! Please and thank you.

Fathersonholygore.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sun 11 Sep - 16:47

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Mon 12 Sep - 6:16

‘Aquarius’ S2: E12 ‘Mother Nature’s Son’ and E13 ‘I Will’ Review

NBC Universal Television

Aquarius (TV Series) (2015)

[size=15]After making his retirement known last week, Hodiak (David Duchovny) sets out to catch the serial killer that’s been taunting him on his own. Charlie (Gethin Anthony) begins to send his “family” on more and more violent assignments, bringing us to Emma’s (Emma Dumont) involvement in one of the most infamous crimes in history.
[/size]

**Spoiler Alert**

This review contains spoilers for S2E12 and S2E13 of Aquarius. If you haven’t yet watched, read at your own risk.

The Good

Ambyr Childers is great as an unhinged Sadie. I’ve said it before, but Childers really excels when she gets to go for broke as Sadie carrying out Charlie’s handiwork. She’s ready to pull out her knife at a moment’s notice and she’s got a completely new energy as this version of Sadie instead of the one who was always jealous of Emma in season one.

“I need a maniac who’s going to burn the house down while he’s standing in it.”Ken is serious about his divorce, and when he said this line, I couldn’t help but think he was considering what Charlie would do if he were a lawyer. It made me very interested to see just how he was going to handle legally leaving his wife. A man with nothing left to lose is a dangerous thing, and the people in his life were right to be nervous.

Shafe chasing down his criminal. As much as I was shaking my head at Shafe taking the opportunity to shoot up when he thought he had an easy collar, him running up and down the street searching for the guy he “lost,” only to discover that the guy was laying down in the backseat of his car the entire time was great. To then have him actually have to chase the guy, and shoot him in the behind to get him to stop running, was funnier than it should have been.

Billie is a great addition. I love that she’s unapologetic for the life she leads and that she doesn’t have any illusions about the kind of man Hodiak is. I wish she had been brought into the show earlier than she was.

Charmaine and Cutter’s unconventional working relationship. These two have come a long way from the sexist supervisor who had the first female cop in the precinct making everyone coffee. Cutter is still sexist, and he still treats Charmaine unfairly, but after more than a year of working with both Hodiak and Shafe and handling undercover work, Charmaine has figured out how to deal with him. She gives as good as she gets, and it’s amusing to Cutter instead of emasculating. They’re actually really fun to watch now.

Photo Credit: NBC Universal Television

All those flashforwards become a coherent picture. We’ve had a lot of glimpses into the “future” over the course of the season, and with the season finale, we finally get to see all of the scenes come together and give us a full picture of what happened the night that Sadie, Tex, Patty, and Emma were sent to start a war. While I still feel like there was a lot of rushed storytelling and time jumps to get here, I’m glad that we didn’t just have to rely on the flashforwards to put the pieces together.

Emma doesn’t actually kill anyone. Despite Emma buying into everything Charlie has ever sold her, she doesn’t kill anyone and she doesn’t help set the scene until Charlie forces her to go back. There’s still a little bit of the girl she used to be in there, and that’s really important. She doesn’t get sucked in the same way Patty does, and she doesn’t appear to already have a vengeful streak like Sadie. There’s still some of Emma Karn underneath the “Cherry Pop” that Charlie cultivated.

The Bad

We’re back to Walt’s story. Walt makes the decision to recant his allegations so that he doesn’t die in prison because it’s not what his mother would have wanted. It really makes his entire storyline seem pointless since it goes nowhere. His story has always felt the most removed from the rest of the show, and the decision to bring it back only for him to decide to recant feels like a rushed attempt to put it to an end. Sure, we get to see that adjusting to the outside world is hard, but most people watching this show are already going to know that. We’ve already seen other characters deal with guilt and shame in other ways as well. With these episodes being the last two of the season, I feel like more time could have been spent on other stories.

The build up isn’t there for much of the story. This isn’t just a critique about these two episodes, but about the season as a whole. The turn from Charlie as a leader of a violent hippie commune to a radical looking to incite a race war still feels too sudden. Maybe it’s because the show has been split amongst so many more storylines this season. But I also feel like we didn’t get enough clues or investigation into the serial killer before Hodiak figured out who to go after either. With the addition of more storylines this season, it means that so many were only shallowly explored.

Charlie kills Ken. If this was the beginning of the season, I probably wouldn’t have cared much about this particular development, but we actually got to see Ken start to accept who he was and become a better father to Emma. Just as he has some character growth, Charlie snuffs him out.

Patty was basically an accessory in the finale. Given that she’s one of the three people to actually be responsible in the infamous Manson murders, I thought we’d see a little more of her in the big finale, but Madison Beatty was seriously underused.

The ending. While we know, based on history, that Charlie, Tex, Sadie, and Patty are all eventually apprehended, the season ends with the police locking down the crime scene. We know most of what happens next, so the show relies on the cliffhanger of Shafe finding the necklace Hodiak gave to Emma at the scene, and then promptly shooting up and calling for help. This isn’t the strongest of endings to get me interested in a third season, to be honest. Having Emma in danger instead of simply upset might have been, or even leaving the serial killer case unsolved could have done the trick.

Photo Credit: NBC Universal Television

The Questions

Will there be a season three? Do we need one? The show seemed to be giving the audience the backstory to the Manson family murder spree, and with the finale getting us there, is there more to come? Moving the show to Saturday nights already seems like a death knell for the series, but seeing that season two has rushed to what might be its inevitable conclusion, unless next season is all about apprehending Charlie and the trial, makes more story seem unnecessary.

What happens to Emma? Of the characters involved in the murders, Emma is the only wholly fictional invention of the show. Tex, Sadie, and Patty are all inspired by real life counterparts. It does leave me wondering what happens to her since I already know what happens to everyone else.

Grading the episodes: I’m glad to see everything come together, even if some of the ways we got to the ending were sloppily done. It’s not the strongest way to finish the season, but these two episodes were fast paced and kept me watching more so than much of the season has. C

Themovienetwork.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Mon 12 Sep - 6:33

jade1013