The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

The X-Files X-Mas Special 2016

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by sir on Wed 21 Sep - 9:43

Also coming in December (I've been laughing at this Menton cover since I first saw it).

Joe Harris (w) • Wayne Nichols (a) • menton3 (c)
When a school holiday pageant takes an extraterrestrial turn, Mulder must contend with old ghosts, present dangers, and close encounters yet to come. But this is no cookie-cutter Christmas Carol. Together with Scully, and a host of holiday visitors and visitations, they’ll rediscover the spirit of the season… if they can only survive the night.
FC • 48 pages • $7.99

Joe Harris

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 100670
Your favorite David's role : Hank Moody and Fox Mulder
Registration date : 2007-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The X-Files X-Mas Special 2016

Post by jade1013 on Wed 21 Sep - 10:20

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 110171
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Sat 24 Sep - 11:24

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sat 24 Sep - 11:41

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Sat 24 Sep - 11:48

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sat 24 Sep - 12:06

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Fri 7 Oct - 3:53

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 7 Oct - 3:55

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sat 17 Dec - 16:44

The X-Files X-Mas Special 2016 (EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW) (Preview)

9 hours ago by CBR Staff

Story by Joe Harris

Art by Wayne Nichols

Colors by Sebastian Cheng

Letters by Chris Mowry and Tom B. Long

Cover by Menton3  

Publisher IDW Publishing

When a school holiday pageant takes an extraterrestrial turn, Mulder must contend with old ghosts, present dangers, and close encounters yet to come. But this is no cookie-cutter Christmas Carol. Together with Scully, and a host of holiday visitors and visitations, they’ll rediscover the spirit of the season… if they can only survive the night.

Executive produced by The X-Files creator Chris Carter!

CBR.com

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Sat 17 Dec - 16:48

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Tue 20 Dec - 1:28

Preview of The X-Files X-Mas Special 2016

DECEMBER 20, 2016 BY AMIE CRANSWICK 

The X-Files X-Mas Special 2016 is out this coming Wednesday, and we’ve got a preview for you here courtesy of IDW Publishing; check it out…

The X-Files X-Mas Special 2016 is out on December 21st, priced $7.99.

Share the post "Preview of The X-Files X-Mas Special 2016"

Flickering Myth

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Dec - 2:04

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 21 Dec - 6:56

Comic Book Review – The X-Files Xmas Special 2016

DECEMBER 21, 2016 BY TONY BLACK 

Tony Black reviews The X-Files Xmas Special 2016…

Tony Black reviews The X-Files Xmas Special 2016…

It was surely only a matter of time before The X-Files did a take on Charles Dickens’ legendary A Christmas Carol, and Joe Harris indulges that oldest of Christmas special tropes for the 2016 Xmas Special one-shot. After a bizarre but fun knockabout issue in 2015, it’s great to see Harris–who has been doing great work on the revival run this year–backed up by some beautiful and expressive artwork by Wayne Nichols, to tell a tale as old as time almost. I may be slightly biased given Dickens’ classic is my favorite narrative in all of storytelling, but Fox Mulder is just about one of the most understandable characters to pivot a tale around about life’s journey and gaining new meaning in past, present, and future. Harris does that here while having plenty of fun in the bargain.

You surely know the Dickens’ story, so here Mulder becomes the Scrooge of sorts as three ‘spirits’ visit him in the FBI office on Christmas Eve to deliver upon him visions, but what’s interesting is that none of the ‘spirits’ are of people confirmed dead. Christmas Past is represented by a child Samantha Mulder, who is most likely dead but quite what exactly happened to her remains to a degree mysterious, Christmas Present is a beefed up Skinner (very much alive), and Christmas Future is sort of the Reaper, sort of the Cigarette-Smoking Man (who you could I suppose argue is by now undead!).

That, of course, speaks to the fact Harris’ take on this narrative isn’t precisely the same, with a mysterious narrator who could be extraterrestrial or demonic or even angelic, using the traditional elements of Christmas to study Mulder and, by default, study mankind. That’s the hook which allows Harris to probe Mulder’s mind and pluck out elements which will raise a smile of understanding on any die-hard fans face.

What’s also great, beyond using all the elements of Christmas to his strange and quirky advantage, is how Harris tethers events even more directly to Season 10 by having Mulder mention, when presented with a traditional vision of an apocalyptic future, the now ‘debunked’ conspiracy he sought for years. This is all still being debated in the fandom as we hope for a Season 11 but it’s great to see that placed in context for Mulder. Plus it’s also great to see (and shippers will love) the continued wish fulfillment of a romantic interest in Scully from Mulder, allowing for a Christmas kiss in the most unlikely of circumstances. By the end, the reset button may to an extent have been hit but you don’t feel robbed, more that you’ve joined Mulder for a lightly comic, neo-Dickensian yet still meaningful journey.

Look out also at the back of the issue a sneak preview of the next multi-part story Joe Harris is bringing us from January, ‘Contrarians’, which seems to be delving back into the historical lore of The X-Files. Raise a glass of port to Harris, Wayne Nichols, Matthew Dow Smith, Denton Tipton & all the folks at IDW Publishing bringing us Philes wonderful continues adventures for Mulder & Scully as we hope for their return on the screen. Merry Christmas to you all guys, and here’s to a great 2017. The minced pies are out there…

Rating: 8/10

Tony Black

Flickering Myth

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 21 Dec - 8:05

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 21 Dec - 11:47

Review Brew: X-Files 2016 Christmas Special Review
Posted on December 21, 2016 by nylahtb in Comics and Comic News

Writer: Joe Harris
Artist: Wayne Nichols
Colorist: Sebastian Cheng
Publisher: IDW Comics
Price: 7.99

The X-Files 2016 Christmas special is written by Joe Harris, who worked on Great Pacific and Snowfall, he also writes the monthly issues of X-Files.

This comic was fun, comedic, and well written. If you’re looking for a creepy or scary X-Files story like the show was known for, this is not the comic you’re looking for. It’s a holiday special, so less creepy, more fun! It really was a great book though, focusing primarily on Mulder and his entertaining, Scrooge like, Christmas adventure. Featuring some of the X-Files characters you love (or hate haha) as the Ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future. As well as a surprising visit from someone from Mulder’s past. As a long time X-Files fan, I had a lot of fun with it and appreciate the love that was obviously put into it.

The art of this comic was done by Wayne Nichols, whom you may recognize from various DC comics or Orphan Black comics.  His art in this book is beautifully detailed, with a clean and realistic look to it. The way he draws the streets and places we visit in the comic are amazingly detailed, the more you look at the panels, and the more detail and attention you notice.  With the characters in this book being modeled after actors from the show, I would like to note that he did a good job making them look like the actors. Sebastian Cheng’s deep colors complete Nicholas’ art perfectly.

All in all, as far as writing goes, I highly recommend this book to any X-Files fan looking for a fun story with great art.

I rate this book four Mulders out of five!

Popcultureuncovered.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 21 Dec - 11:47

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 21 Dec - 12:06

THE X-FILES X-MAS SPECIAL 2016 REVIEW

NICK NAFPLIOTISDECEMBER 21, 2016

It’s time for one of my favorite (if slightly overpriced) holiday traditions: IDW’s annual X-Files X-Mas Special.

The X-Files X-Mas Special 2016 (IDW Publishing)

The Plot

• Not sure why Mulder’s so scared about being late. Christmas pageants are usually pretty terrible.

• Yeah, this Christmas pageant is definitely not being put on by a Baptist church.

• Nothing ruins the Christmas spirit quite like someone pumping a few bullets into the Star of David.

• FLASHBACK (to a few hours ago)

• Any ghost that uses Samantha to mess with Mulder is a colossal jerk in my book.

• Fun fact: Music directors who willingly/enthusiastically put on Christmas pageants are potentially weirder than any alien life form ever could be.

• Even in the afterlife, The Smoking Man’s still gotta have his cancer sticks.

• Once again, using Samantha to manipulate Mulder = Jerk Move.

• Ghost Skinner’s looking pretty buff (and more unhinged than usual).

• It took a Christmas special, but someone FINALLY addressed one of my biggest burning questions about the X-Files mythos!

• Ghost kisses are gross.

• Always fun to see Mulder and Skinner rough each other up.

• Huh?

The Good

I expect these type of issues to be light-hearted, but I’m not sure this one struck quite the right tone. On one hand, Joe Harris’ script has some genuinely laugh-out-loud worthy lines and interactions. But in between those moments is a plot that vacillates between silly escapism and targeted despair.

Maybe it’s just me, but any time Mulder’s grief over the loss of his sister is brought up, it nixes the potential for humor for most of the remaining issue/episode. I know it’s a pivotal moment in the character’s past, but watching Fox go back and forth from cracking jokes to being on the verge of tears is a little disorienting.

That said, the art by Wayne Nichols is very good, particularly in how he’s able to shift from ethereal to corporeal images between panels. Add in some of Harris’ funniest lines of the year, and this one’s still a fun read…

…but for $8? Holiday dollars are hard enough to stretch without overpriced comic books hammering your budget. That industrial strength body hair groomer I still need to buy for David Brooke isn’t going to pay for itself. Unless you’re an X-Files completist—or just really desperate for a very fun and forgettable story—then you can say BAH HUMBUG about adding this one to your pull list.

The Good

A very fun and forgettable Christmas taleThe art by Wayne Nichols is very good, particularly in how he’s able to shift from ethereal to corporeal images between panels.Some of Joe Harris' funniest lines and interactions ever.The BadAny time Mulder’s grief over the loss of his sister is brought up, it nixes the potential for humor for most of the remaining issue/episode.
$8? BAH HUMBUG!

Average

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 21 Dec - 12:11

Review: X-Files X-Mas Special 2016

Posted on December 21, 2016 by bagandbored

(IDW 2016)

Writer: Joe Harris
Art: Wayne Nichols
Colors: Sebastian Cheng
Letters: Chris Mowry & Tom B Long
Cover: Menton 3

It is the season of goodwill in the X-Files X-Mas Special 20116, where a spooky seasonal box of uncanny delights and intrigue await Mulder and Scully as they investigate a school holiday pageant that becomes a Christmassy extraterrestrial mystery. Mulder must face ghosts from the past, threats in the present day, and the unexplained truths of the future. Along with Scully, and a wealth of seasonal visitors, this is one Christmas that Mulder and Scully are never going to forget – so long as they survive Christmas Eve.

FBI Agents Mulder and Scully embark on a decidedly bizarre X-File this holiday season in this year’s X-Files X-Mas Special from IDW Publishing, written by Joe Harris, with art by Wayne Nichols, colors by Sebastian Cheng, and Executive Produced by Chris Carter. Yes, the X-Files brings its own unique spin on a Christmas Carol in this issue as mysteries both paranormal and extraterrestrial collide to bring Mulder and Scully the true spirit of Christmas!

Christmas Eve falls over Washington DC as a mysterious force gathers, but is this manifestation making an assessment the people of Earth over the holiday season or just gathering intelligence about special FBI Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully? So, when a deluded Fox Mulder races to meet Scully at a children’s Christmas pageant, where events have already begun to take a bizarre turn, Scully and Mulder find themselves facing an inexplicable threat this Christmas that’s unlike anything they’ve encountered before.

From its dramatic scene setting and fourth wall breaking opening, writer Joe Harris ensures that the X-Files 2016 X-Mas Special is chock full of surprises and suspense in the truest X-Files tradition. After that uncanny start this special festive themed issue flashes back to events earlier in the day on Christmas Eve, where Mulder has accompanied Scully to a holiday market. But with Mulder acting all Ebenezer Scrooge, together with a fleeting glimpse of an ethereal figure Mulder believes could be his sister Samantha (who was abducted by aliens when they were children), the Christmas festivities begin to prove a bit too much for Mulder to stomach.

So, while Scully decides to accept Miss Holly’s invitation to attend a Christmas Pageant, Mulder retreats to his office back in FBI Headquarters, and it is here where this X-Mas Special really kicks into high gear. This issue features some great artwork by Wayne Nichols, especially in the sequences were Mulder is visited by the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future, with Nichols brining a distinct X-Files twist on this classic tale as iconic X-Files characters and themes are deftly spliced and magically transformed as the story unfolds. I really liked how this aspect of The X-Files 2016 X-Mas Special explores the story of Samantha Mulder in a completely new and different way – and Nichols art, together with. Sebastian Cheng’s rich colors proves the perfect accompaniment to Joe Harris’ intricately plotted and emotional story.

Everything is resolved a little bit quickly at the end of the issue, but that’s just a minor point really, because the journey Mulder takes in this issue is at times actually quite moving, so it was nice to have everything get wrapped up neatly for a satisfying conclusion. The mysterious Miss Holly remains an enigma throughout, there’s even a kiss under the mistletoe, a wonderful closing scene between Mulder and Scully to enjoy, and as an X-tra special treat we also get a bonus sneak peak at The X-Files #10 (released January 2017).

From the moment you glimpse The X-Files 2016 X-Mas Special, with its brilliantly spooky looking Cigarette Smoking Man cover by Menton 3, and begin reading you’ll soon realize this is a very special and different kind of X-Files story. The tone is somewhat lighter for The X-Files than we are normally used to in IDW’s ongoing comic series, but it is Christmas after all, and you’ll soon find yourself swept along with this delightfully weird and wonderful Christmassy special form Joe Harris, Wayne Nichols, and Sebastian Cheng.
Happy Holidays Everyone!

Paul Bowler is a self-Confessed Sci-Fi Geek, Doctor Who fan, and Zombie Disposal Expert. He likes movies, comic books, and all things PS3. He likes to write about his interests, would love to write a novel one day, and also enjoys chatting to the many people he has gotten to know on Twitter. When he’s not busy being an Impossible Astronaut, he likes to take a break from his adventures in time and space to enjoy some of his favourite tv shows and movies, preferably with a nice cuppa tea & a sandwich! You can follow him on Twitter @paul_bowler, or find him at his website, Sci-Fi Jubilee.

Bagandbored.net

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 21 Dec - 12:18

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 21 Dec - 12:23

$7.99

FC • 48 pages

In Store Date: December 2016.

Find your nearest comic book shop, and buy it today!

Categories: The X-Files, Upcoming Releases. Tags: Action-Adventure, Horror Comics, Joe Harris, menton3, Most Popular Series, Sci-Fi, Wayne Nichols.

DESCRIPTION

Idwpublishing.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 21 Dec - 12:23

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Thu 22 Dec - 1:56

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Thu 22 Dec - 2:01

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Thu 22 Dec - 7:39

Review – X-Files X-MAS Special 2016
Story- 6.8
Art- 6.4
Overall - 6.6
Summary: Special Agent Fox Mulder is visited by three ghost on Christmas Eve, now that he knows the truth can he save Christmas and not be a Grinch!

Merry Christmas

[*]Writer: Joe Harris
[*]Artist: Wayne Nichols
[*]Colorist: Sebastian Cheng
[*]Letterers: Chirs Mowry & Tom B. Long
[*]Publisher: IDW Comics
[*]Release Date: December 21, 2016

[*]

Okay so I fell off the IDW’s X-Files comic a few years ago, not that it was not good or anything just something had to be dropped and that was it. I am a huge fan of The X-Files television series and one of my holiday traditions is to watch The X-Files season 6 episode 6 “How the Ghost Stole Christmas“, So I decided why not just jump in and see what The X-Files X-MAS Special 2016 has to offer! 

There is a new school music teacher in town and she is directing the Christmas Pageant (Non-Denominational Holiday Festival). Mulder and Scully have been invited to attend while shopping! The kids are singing very weird Christmas carols and holding a bright star above their heads! Mulder being the “Scrooge” is working through Christmas and declines to go with Scully. With a visit from three ghosts on Christmas Eve Mulder finds out the truth! Can Mulder save the Christmas pageant and learn to love the Holidays! 

Joe Harris really has these X-Files characters down pat. This issue really felt like a “Monster of the Week” episode from the regular series. He gets Mulder and Scully’s voices and it really feels like them talking. The other characters that pop up are great as well and setting it up like Charles Dicken’s classic A Christmas Carol makes for a fun fit in the X-Files lore. The main villain is a little vague on the whole purpose or exactly what “it” is doing but it fits into the story so I will give it a bit of a pass.

Art:

Wayne Nichols has the always tough duty of having to draw actual people/actors from a licensed property. This is always a tough task you need the characters to look like that actor but you also don’t want something that’s photo realistic or gets too detailed to throw off the artist own style. Mulder and Scully look just like on the show but in comic book form but it fits well with the comic as they are not super detailed. Nichols art I feel fairs better when he is drawing the ghost that comes and visit Mulder. His style seems to fit that more cartoony aspect he puts into them than the more realistic counterparts. Cheng also does some great color work on the ghost and all of the holiday-themed material. The art is good overall, it’s a little stagnate when the action starts and some of the characters head position/ body portion is questionable in some scenes, but overall it serves the book well. 

Conclusion:

If you are a fan of The X-Files and what a Christmas story to read then this will be a great book for you. You don’t have to worry about knowing what is happening in the ongoing comic series. As long as you are familiar with the show you can jump right in. This was a fun holiday one-shot that plays well within the X-Files universe.

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Thu 22 Dec - 7:42

jade1013
Pix Queen