The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

The X-Files X-Mas Special 2016

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The X-Files X-Mas Special 2016

Post by sir on Thu 22 Dec - 7:39

Review – X-Files X-MAS Special 2016
Story- 6.8
Art- 6.4
Overall - 6.6
Summary: Special Agent Fox Mulder is visited by three ghost on Christmas Eve, now that he knows the truth can he save Christmas and not be a Grinch!

Merry Christmas

[*]Writer: Joe Harris
[*]Artist: Wayne Nichols
[*]Colorist: Sebastian Cheng
[*]Letterers: Chirs Mowry & Tom B. Long
[*]Publisher: IDW Comics
[*]Release Date: December 21, 2016

[*]

Okay so I fell off the IDW’s X-Files comic a few years ago, not that it was not good or anything just something had to be dropped and that was it. I am a huge fan of The X-Files television series and one of my holiday traditions is to watch The X-Files season 6 episode 6 “How the Ghost Stole Christmas“, So I decided why not just jump in and see what The X-Files X-MAS Special 2016 has to offer! 

There is a new school music teacher in town and she is directing the Christmas Pageant (Non-Denominational Holiday Festival). Mulder and Scully have been invited to attend while shopping! The kids are singing very weird Christmas carols and holding a bright star above their heads! Mulder being the “Scrooge” is working through Christmas and declines to go with Scully. With a visit from three ghosts on Christmas Eve Mulder finds out the truth! Can Mulder save the Christmas pageant and learn to love the Holidays! 

Joe Harris really has these X-Files characters down pat. This issue really felt like a “Monster of the Week” episode from the regular series. He gets Mulder and Scully’s voices and it really feels like them talking. The other characters that pop up are great as well and setting it up like Charles Dicken’s classic A Christmas Carol makes for a fun fit in the X-Files lore. The main villain is a little vague on the whole purpose or exactly what “it” is doing but it fits into the story so I will give it a bit of a pass.

Art:

Wayne Nichols has the always tough duty of having to draw actual people/actors from a licensed property. This is always a tough task you need the characters to look like that actor but you also don’t want something that’s photo realistic or gets too detailed to throw off the artist own style. Mulder and Scully look just like on the show but in comic book form but it fits well with the comic as they are not super detailed. Nichols art I feel fairs better when he is drawing the ghost that comes and visit Mulder. His style seems to fit that more cartoony aspect he puts into them than the more realistic counterparts. Cheng also does some great color work on the ghost and all of the holiday-themed material. The art is good overall, it’s a little stagnate when the action starts and some of the characters head position/ body portion is questionable in some scenes, but overall it serves the book well. 

Conclusion:

If you are a fan of The X-Files and what a Christmas story to read then this will be a great book for you. You don’t have to worry about knowing what is happening in the ongoing comic series. As long as you are familiar with the show you can jump right in. This was a fun holiday one-shot that plays well within the X-Files universe.

Wordfthenerdonline.com

sir
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 100670
Registration date : 2007-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Thu 22 Dec - 7:42

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 109470
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Thu 22 Dec - 16:06

Best Shots Rapid Fire Reviews: BATMAN #13, STAR TREK / GREEN LANTERN #1, IRON MAN #2, More
By David Pepose, Best Shots Team Lead
December 22, 2016 03:10pm ET

X-Files X-Mas Special 2016 (Published by IDW Publishing; Review by Justin Partridge; ‘Rama Rating: 8 out of 10): Fox Mulder is visited by three spirits in the chilly X-Files X-Mas Special 2016. Series writer Joe Harris delivers a weird dream-like spin on A Christmas Carol as Mulder is faced with his Christmas memories while Scully investigates a most unconventional Christmas pageant. Thanks to the oversized issue, Harris’ script is allowed ample room to breathe and offer fans an interesting look into the character’s feelings about the season. Penciler Wayne Nichols and colorist Sebastian Cheng make this special look screen accurate with plenty of dramatic flair throughout the issue like the extended cameos from the show’s past as the three ghosts. Christmas comes but once a year and this year IDW Publishing delivers unto us a compellingly strange gift in the form of X-Files X-Mas Special 2016.

Full article

Newsarama.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

Your favorite David's role : Hank Moody and Fox Mulder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Thu 22 Dec - 16:12

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Fri 23 Dec - 4:15

PREVIEW: THE X-FILES X-MAS SPECIAL 2016
Posted on December 23, 2016 by Graphic Policy Team

The X-Files X-Mas Special 2016

Joe Harris (w) • Wayne Nichols (a) • menton3 (c)

When a school holiday pageant takes an extraterrestrial turn, Mulder must contend with old ghosts, present dangers, and close encounters yet to come. But this is no cookie-cutter Christmas Carol. Together with Scully, and a host of holiday visitors and visitations, they’ll rediscover the spirit of the season… if they can only survive the night.

FC • 48 pages • $7.99

Graphicpolicy.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 23 Dec - 4:37

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Fri 23 Dec - 12:21

waynenichols_artist

The X-Files Xmas Special 2016!
Art by me. Colors by Sebastian Cheng. Story by Joe Harris. Out this December from IDW!

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 23 Dec - 12:23

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 6 Jan - 2:16

RICH REVIEWS: The X-Files X-Mas Special

by Richard Vasseur on  January 6, 2017

Title: The X-Files X-Mas Special 2016 (One Shot)
Publisher: IDW
Written by: Joe Harris
Art by: Wayne Nichols
Colors by: Sebastian Cheng
Letters by: Chris Mowry & Tom B. Long
Cover: Menton
X-Files Created by: Chris Carter
Price: $ 7.99 US
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Comments: Mulder and Scully are at a Christmas Pageant. Things do get explosive and weird when Mulder shows up.

Than earlier in the day Mulder and Scully are Christmas shopping. Mulder thinks he sees a little girl his sister Samantha. Only she went missing abducted by aliens before Mulder’s eyes.

Mulder now gets to experience the “A Christmas Carol” story personally. The art on the first ghost is perfectly done. Beautiful use of colors on it.

The story does have lots of twists and turns. It will keep you guessing as to what is coming next. The Cigarette Smoking Man is nicely used.

Mulder’s obsessive behaviour is obvious. He still remember’s his sister’s abduction.

The ending is fitting. Mulder and Scully together. They do belong together.

First Comics News

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Fri 6 Jan - 2:19

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Mon 23 Jan - 2:00

‘The X-Files’ Christmas Special 2016 (Review)

Date: January 22, 2017
Author: Matt Molgaard

IDW rolled out a real Christmas beauty for Agents Scully and Mulder. Mulder finds himself visited by three seasonal spirits, but the rules of A Christmas Carol have undergone some modifications, and they don’t always jive too well with Fox. He’s always been a haunted man, and he’s been fueled by the mysterious disappearance for decades. It’s what pushes him forward. And while he won’t receive the answers he so desperately seeks, he will pick up on a few things that slipped from Mulder’s memory banks.

The book is beautiful, Sebastian Cheng giving us warm hues on high notes and grim color schemes as the narrative takes a darker turn. And Cheng isn’t the only one shining here. Joe Harris’ narrative is excellent, and he throws in just enough curveballs to guarantee we can’t get too comfortable with predictable outcomes. And finally, Wayne Nichols swings heavy with the artwork. It just looks every bit as amazing as one could hope for from an X-Files book.

I’ve never been addicted to science fiction, and while I tuned in for a few seasons of The X-Files, it never really ranked as a personal favorite for me. But as time passes, as 40 races after me relentlessly, I’m finding something of a second wind with regards to interest in not just this book, but the series as well. It might be time to declare myself a really, really late bloomer. Better The X-Files today than no Scully or Mulder in the future. That just doesn’t sound too cool.

Order it here.

Rating: 4/5

Best Comic Books

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Mon 23 Jan - 2:00

Thanks