The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

THE X-FILES #10 - Contrarians, Part 1

View previous topic View next topic Go down

THE X-FILES #10 - Contrarians, Part 1

Post by jade1013 on Wed 19 Oct - 16:55

As we announce the short story arc to follow CAME BACK HAUNTED -- a two-part MOTM I've titled CONTRARIANS illustrated by Greg Scott -- I just want you all to know that it's my fervent wish to do a Cigarette Smoking Man/Ronald Reagan team-up spinoff book, but it only* happens if you order the crap out of THE X-FILES #10.

Vote with your dollars, folks!

*It will likely not happen, but the want is palpable (within me)

THE X-FILES #10

Joe Harris (W), Greg Scott (A/VC), menton3 (C)

"Contrarians," Part 1 (of 2): Mulder chances upon evidence that suggests the now-defunct Syndicate's involvement in the Iran-Contra affair. Guest-starring the Cigarette Smoking Man and President Reagan!

32 pages, $3.99, in stores on Jan. 11.

Joe Harris

Last edited by jade1013 on Sat 1 Jul - 10:20; edited 1 time in total

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 110171
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: THE X-FILES #10 - Contrarians, Part 1

Post by sir on Wed 19 Oct - 16:55

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 100670
Your favorite David's role : Hank Moody and Fox Mulder
Registration date : 2007-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 21 Dec - 9:30

The X-Files #10

FC • 32 pages

Available in stores: January 2017

Find your nearest comic book shop and reserve a copy today!
Category: Upcoming Releases. Tags: Action-Adventure, Greg Scott, Horror Comics, Joe Harris, Most Popular Series, Sci-Fi.

DESCRIPTION

“Contrarians,” Part 1 (of 2): Mulder chances upon evidence that suggests the now-defunct Syndicate’s involvement in the Iran-Contra affair. Guest-starring the Cigarette Smoking Man and President Reagan!

Idwpublishing.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 21 Dec - 9:32

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Sun 25 Dec - 16:10

X-files

(2016) #10 (Artist Cover Variant)
IDW: January 11, 2017   Writer: Joe Harris   Art: Greg Scott   Cover: Greg Scott  
Cover Price: $3.99   UPC: 82771401057201021   Diamond ID: NOV160472   GCIN: 964250

Contrarians, Part 1 (of 2): Mulder chances upon evidence that suggests the now-defunct Syndicate's involvement in the Iran-Contra affair. Guest-starring the Cigarette Smoking Man and President Reagan! Executive produced by The X-Files creator Chris Carter! Part of IDW's Artist's Edition Cover Month!

Comics.gocollect.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sun 25 Dec - 16:12

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sat 14 Jan - 15:35

EXCLUSIVE Preview: THE X-FILES #10

Posted By Dan Greenfield on Jan 14, 2017

Conspiracies beget conspiracies: The Cigarette Smoking Man. The Syndicate. Iran-Contra. Ronald Reagan.—

By Joe Harris, Greg Scott, Wes Dzioba — and IDW. Out 1/18.

13th Dimension

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Sat 14 Jan - 15:38

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Tue 17 Jan - 1:12

Preview of The X-Files #10

JANUARY 17, 2017 BY AMIE CRANSWICK

The new two-part story arc ‘Contrarians’ begins in The X-Files #10 on Wednesday, and you can take a look at a preview of the issue here…

“Contrarians,” Part 1 (of 2): Mulder chances upon evidence that suggests the now-defunct Syndicate’s involvement in the Iran-Contra affair. Guest-starring the Cigarette Smoking Man and President Reagan!

The X-Files #10 is out on January 18th, priced $3.99.

Flickering Myth

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 17 Jan - 1:38

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 18 Jan - 5:23

Comic Book Review – The X-Files #10

January 18, 2017 by Tony Black

Tony Black reviews The X-Files #10…

Given the powder keg that is United States politics, ‘Contrarians’ is, in time-honoured X-Files fashion, very appropriate right now. You can feel the liberal anger rising off Joe Harris’ fingers as he types every line of this conspiratorial mystery, one which is as much flashback to the nefarious dealings of not just the Syndicate but also the US government as a whole during the 1980’s. Taking the murky Republican scandal of the Iran-Contra deal, very nearly Ronald Reagan’s demise as President, Harris uses this as a way of exploring the dark underbelly of US foreign policy through an X-Files prism, and one can’t help feel this is very much his creative reaction to the right wing turn American politics has taken last year. It feels like furious expression.

Greg Scott flanks Harris in delivering some enjoyable panels which both express colour and some washed out, murky jungle sepia for scenes where we see a younger Cigarette-Smoking Man alongside a younger Bill Mulder, at the tail end of the 1980’s, and it’s fascinating from a mytharc point of view that Mulder Sr was coaxed out of his retirement from the conspiracy to, presumably, help the CSM hunt down an alien presence in Nicaragua (which it’s suggested is where this is going). Harris manages to use this not just as a chance to see some beloved older characters, and flesh out the mythos, but cut to the nub of the Syndicate’s pernicious involvement in the dark dealings of the Contras.

It’s the same in the opening panels, surely to be fondly remembered amongst this X-Files comic run, of the Smoking Man in conversation in the Oval Office with Reagan, both discussing the danger of a guilt-ridden Reagan telling the truth about Iran-Contra to the American people – it’s the kind of philosophical conversation the Smoking Man is great at on the show, and it’s neat to see it here. Besides all this, Mulder and Scully do feature by the way! Theirs is via a modern-day mysterious transient who ultimately starts connecting Mulder back to the events of the late-1980’s, and the promise of discovering yet another new angle to the Syndicate. The issue is light on paranormality at this stage, or extraterrestrials, but they may just be around the corner.

To be fair, the first part of ‘Contrarians’ doesn’t need little green men in order to tell a strong, interesting and timely political story, heavily in flashback, in which Joe Harris sets up a neat mystery that may well unfold into a bigger paranormal enigma in the second and final issue of this story. It’s great to see The X-Files unafraid to be political, especially in this day and age.

Rating: 8/10

Tony Black

Flickering Myth

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 18 Jan - 5:27

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 18 Jan - 7:47

The X-Files #10 Review

The X-Files #10

Review by Paul Bowler

A chance meeting for FBI Agent Fox Mulder in The X-Files #10 uncovers new clues to the secret involvement of the Cigarette Smoking Man’s and now defunct Syndicate’s role during the Iran-Contra affair. Following the success of the X-Files triumphant return in the Fox TV event series in 2016, Mulder and Scully’s investigations into conspiracies, the unexplained, and strange extraterrestrial phenomena continues in this issue of the all-new ongoing X-Files comic book series from IDW Publishing, written by Joe Harris, with art by Greg Scott, and colors by Wes Dzioba, together with the participation of Chris Carter.

The X-Files #10: Contrarians Part 1, marks the start of a new two part storyline, and wrier Joe Harris weaves an ominous blend on mystery, politics, and intrigue with a flashback to a pivotal moment in history during a broadcast from the Oval Office by President Regan… one that it seems was overseen – in more ways than one – by the most nefarious and ruthless member of the Syndicate; the Cigarette Smoking Man!

Meanwhile, in the present day, Mulder encounters a destitute old man with a message for him. As Mulder and Scully investigate, they discover links that connect the Iran-Contra affair, a strange new metal, and the action of the Cigarette Smoking Man…

Joe Harris has crafted a terrific issue of the X-Files here, one that very much reflects the tone and style of The X-Files fourth season episode Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man (written by Glen Morgan and James Wong) from 1996, which also delved into the sinister past of the series’ most prominent villain and his involvement in key historical moments and assassinations during his rise to power. Contrarians Part 1 is very much in the same vein, only this time we see the Cigarette Smoking Man using his power and influence over a fatigued President, but it is the chilling flashback mid-way though the issue to events in Nicaragua that really show just how far-reaching and manipulative the Cigarette Smoking Man’s grand designs had become.

Greg Scott’s artwork seamlessly brings the separate eras of the story together as one. The panel layout is unfussy, but there is a distinct edge and pace to every scene, bold close-ups, panoramic flashbacks, and the clever use of angles and perspective all conspire to immerse you in the stories multifaceted layers of intrigue. The scenes in the White House are especially powerful. Scott’s rendering of all the characters is also absolutely spot on; and at times the likenesses are quite uncanny. Wes Dzioba’s subtle use of color and shade enhances every scene, ominous tones dominate the White House broadcast, while more vivid hues match the contemplative silence of Mulder’s office, but it is the grainy, almost newsreel-like quality to The Cigarette Smoking Man’s secret meeting in Nicaragua that proves the biggest – and most shocking – highlight of this issue.

The X-Files #10 builds towards a fittingly bizarre and unexpected cliff-hanger, when Mulder’s acquisition of declassified memorandums leads his investigation towards another fateful encounter, one where the past isn’t quite as dead and buried as either Mulder or The Cigarette Smoking Man would like to believe…

This issue exemplifies that unique blend of fact, fiction, and the ambiguous that always makes The X-Files so compelling and thought provoking. The X-Files #10 presents us with yet another fascinating insight into The Cigarette Smoking Man’s actions and motivations, Joe Harris, Greg Scott, and Wes Dzioba have done a terrific job with this issue, and I’m intrigued to see how the Contrarians story-arc will be resolved next issue. The Truth is out there! So, if, like me, you’re a fan of the X-Files and loved The X-Files 2016’s special TV event series, then IDW’s X-Files comic is most certainly for you, I’d highly recommend it, and there’s plenty here for new fans to enjoy as well.

Publisher: IDW Publishing

Writer: Joe Harris / Art: Greg Scott

Colors: Wes Dzioba / Letters: Chris Mowry

Scifijubilee.wordpress.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 18 Jan - 7:48

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 18 Jan - 14:19

THE X-FILES #10 REVIEW

NICK NAFPLIOTIS JANUARY 18, 2017

Strap on your fanny packs, kids. IDW’s The X-Files is about to kick off a new two-issue story featuring some 1980’s shenanigans courtesy of The Syndicate…and everyone’s favorite chain smoker, of course.

The X-Files #10 (IDW Publishing)

Observations

• Dang. They really just referenced Reagan’s infamous Russian bombing joke. Consider me impressed.

• Yikes! White House staff jobs in the 1980’s really sucked when the Syndicate was around.

• Nice to see Mulder gets along so well with FBI security these days.

• Cocaine is a hell of a drug—especially when it’s the helping to fuel a civil war.

• Holy crap! What was that coke cut with?

The Verdict

First off, this issue is a VAST improvement over the last one. I’ll admit, however, that part of my enjoyment was due to all the conspiratorial 80’s references. Ronald Reagan, Oliver North, Iran Contras…it was like I was back in my childhood home playing with Star Wars toys while my parents watched the nightly news.

That being said, all the nostalgic cloak-and-dagger stuff is by far the best part of Joe Harris’ script. Once we get to the supernatural stuff, I have absolutely no idea what to tell you. You expect the paranormal to show up in even the most conventional looking X-Files tale, but this one goes from a tightly spun thriller to a David Lynch-esque fever dream in the matter of three pages. I’m all for a good ghost/apparition story, but I’m not sure how I feel about ghost cocaine.

I have faith Harris can make this work, though. I may have been hard on him during this current run of issues, but he’s usually a sure bet with stories like this that are grounded by a historical hook.

I should also mention that Greg Scott’s art looks really good, particularly when he flashes back to a couple of classic characters on a trek through the war torn Central American wilderness. His rendering of all the issue’s characters is very good, but he draws Ronald Reagan and The Cigarette Smoking man exceptionally well.

If this creative team makes full use of their story’s potential, it could be one of the best X-Files ever—at least for an 80’s kid like me who loves a good conspiracy. Let’s just hope it doesn’t get derailed by the aforementioned mystical white powder.

The Good

Great use of '80s history and historical figuresGreg 

Scott’s art looks really good

The Bad

Goes from conventional story to David Lynch-esque fever dream in the matter of three pages

I’m all for a good ghost/apparition story, but I’m not sure how I feel about ghost cocaine

Average

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 18 Jan - 14:25

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Fri 20 Jan - 17:43

It’s Never Aliens, Right? The X-Files #10
Posted by Lauren Sisselman January 20, 2017

I’m still not over the initial shock of the X-Files going off the air nearly 15 years ago. Thankfully, between IDW picking it up in comics, and that 6 part mini series from early last year, I’ll probably survive. Maybe. That cliffhanger from last year is actually slowly killing me.

“Contrarians Part 1” opens with the Cigarette Smoking Man speaking with President Reagan about an upcoming speech he’s about to give. They go back and forth, and it’s revealed that Reagan traded weapons to Iran in trade for American’s that were being held hostage in Lebanon.

Reagan doesn’t really want to let all of that out, as he wants the public to know he is fighting for them. Their banter goes on for a few panels, and right before they fade to the title screen (like in the show, how fancy) we see the media crew filming has all dropped dead.

The X-Files is no stranger to keeping people on the edge of their seats. Chris Carterwas a master at this, and I am thrilled that he’s still involved with the comics. Writer Joe Harris is truly keeping the tone of the show alive in this issue, with artist Greg Scott bringing the cast to life. Cigarette Smoking man stands out against Reagan, with his callous and calculating nature shining bright. Reagan is made to look naive and almost stupid by it. While I can’t spoil the rest of the issue for you, I strongly urge you to pick this series up.

The truth is still out there.

The X-Files # 10

BC Rating *******

Bleedingcool.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down