The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

2017/05/08 - John Lennon tribute at the Kennedy Center

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 2017/05/08 - John Lennon tribute at the Kennedy Center

Post by jade1013 on Mon 8 May - 21:00

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 109982
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Mon 8 May - 21:04

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 9 May - 5:00

WASHINGTON, DC - MAY 08: David Duchovny hosts the 2017 Kennedy Center Spring Gala Come Together: A Celebration of John Lennon at John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts on May 8, 2017 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Paul Morigi/Getty Images)

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 9 May - 5:19

Come Together: Kennedy Center Spring Gala celebrates John Lennon

By Jason Fraley | @JFrayWTOP May 9, 2017 1:09 am

Arrow audio

WASHINGTON — If the Kennedy Center Honors is the venue’s biggest end-of-the-year party, the annual Spring Gala gives it a run for its money for live music.

Last year, a star-studded lineup of musicians — Leslie Odom Jr., Babyface, Valerie Simpson, Mary Wilson and BJ The Chicago Kid — turned out to salute the iconic music of the late Marvin Gaye.

On Monday night, this year’s ceremony delivered “Come Together: A Celebration of John Lennon,” saluting the genius behind so many Beatles hits, as well as a solo career that was tragically cut short.

“You’re wondering if we’re going to get to your favorite John Lennon song: ‘Norwegian Wood,’ ‘Strawberry Fields Forever,’ ‘Power to the People,’ ‘Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds,’ ‘Dear Prudence’? Sorry, we’re not doing any of those. Get over it,” emcee David Duchovny joked. “We would’ve loved to have played them all, but if you wanted to spend that much time sitting in a seat at the Kennedy Center, you’d be over in the Opera House watching ‘Madame Butterfly.’ … Your [butt] thanks us!”

The event kicked off with a tone-setting group performance of “Come Together” by Taj Mahal, Shawn Colvin, Jim James and Duchovny, who stuck around on stage to sing Lennon’s catchy “Instant Karma.”

After that, the unbelievably talented Corinne Bailey Rae came out to belt “Don’t Let Me Down,” followed by Esperanza Spalding wailing Lennon’s aching single “Mother” over an upright bass.

The vibe shifted to rock as Steven Van Zandt of Bruce Springsteen’s The E Street Band performed “Working Class Hero” (a Lennon song covered by Green Day) and “Revolution” (a Beatles smash).

Looking and sounding the most like Lennon was Jim Jones, who returned to perform “Jealous Guy.”

Shawn Colvin, Grammy winner for “Sunny Came Home,” sang “You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away.”

Taj Mahal returned to perform “Sweet Little Sixteen,” which the Beatles covered from Chuck Berry.

Spalding returned to sing the psychedelic Beatles tune “Tomorrow Never Knows,” complete with a trippy kaleidoscopic jumbotron and the break-dance brilliance of Rennie Harris Puremovement.

Next up, legendary singer-songwriter Judy Collins gave goose bumps with her take on “In My Life.”

Amos Lee kicked things up with the Beatles’ “Help,” then invited Corinne Bailey Rae back out on stage for a beautiful duet of Lennon’s signature peace anthem “Imagine” against a heavenly backdrop.

It all culminated with the entire lineup reuniting on stage for a confetti-filled “All You Need is Love.”

Lennon’s peaceful vibe was present throughout, as many of the evening’s presenters wore his famous circular-rimmed tinted glasses. Even Kennedy Center chairman David M. Rubenstein wore them.

The gala also featured the second annual presentation of the Kennedy Center Award for the Human Spirit, recognizing two recipients who have had an enduring impact on the advancement of arts and culture. This year’s “Distinguished Philanthropist” honors went to Joan and Sandy Weill, while the “Citizen Artist” awards went to Afa and Aaron Dworkin for their work in improving diversity in the arts.

WTOP

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 9 May - 5:23

rennieharrisrhaw

Show was great tonight the #celebrities was in the building tonight at the @kennedycenter #johnlennon Gala #rennieharrispuremovement did a great job tonight #kcspringgala @lyonhope

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 9 May - 5:43

David Duchovny hosts the 2017 Kennedy Center Spring Gala Come Together: A Celebration of John Lennon at John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts on May 8, 2017 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Paul Morigi/Getty Images)

Source: perplexistan

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 9 May - 6:00

muldersgirl34:

What an evening! Great show, David did a great job hosting and performing! I don’t know that this was his type of crowd per se, his dry witty sense of humor kind of fell flat on the older audience at times, but he was stunning and funny and endearing anyway!

When we got to the after party, we waited by the door where the artists we coming in, and waited… and waited… didn’t see David. Finally I decided to take a lap around to make sure we didn’t miss him, and my husband waited at the table. There’s a rooftop balcony, and as I made my rounds I saw him out there. I texted my husband to drop everything and get to the patio stat!! It appeared as though he was starting to be surrounded and asked to take photos, so he graciously took a bunch and then Brad-guy started wrangling him away to try and whisk him inside. I/we were the last to see him. I just walked up and said “Hi!” And he said “Well you must be freezing!!” and out his arm around me, and I said “Not anymore!!” He laughed and we took our pic and I told him he did a great job and he was very gracious. Then my husband jumped in and reiterated what a great job he did and again, he was super thankful and appreciative. Then Brad edged him out and we never saw him again.

But… black tie Duchovs warmed this girl up on a cold-as-balls windy balcony and I could DIE. That is all. Smile

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 9 May - 6:05

zobe1208

Just three words... "I'm so PROUD" of him 😉 @davidduchovny 👏👏👏 #davidduchovny #kcspringgala #allyouneedislove

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 9 May - 6:17

dentoncassia

Agent Fox Mulder just squeezed my bicep and said, "Your. Arms." Aaaand now I can die a happy woman #californication #davidducovny

devinmaier

No biggie. Just me and special agent Mulder who also goes by Hank Moody #davidducovny #agentmulder #hankmoody

Last edited by jade1013 on Tue 9 May - 11:04; edited 2 times in total

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duchovny on Tue 9 May - 6:22

thanks
Duchovny
Phantom
Phantom

Number of posts : 16774
Emploi : Housewife
Your favorite David's role : Fox Mulder
Registration date : 2011-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 9 May - 6:23

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 9 May - 7:07

Backstage at The Kennedy Center for a tribute to John Lennon with the boys! We all shine on.

Source: Brad Davidson

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 9 May - 7:13

colin_c_lee

Honored to have been a part of the John Lennon Tribute Concert at the @kennedycenter last night! #johnlennon #cometogether

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 9 May - 8:52

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duchovny on Tue 9 May - 9:42

thanks
Duchovny
Phantom
Phantom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 9 May - 10:46

cmt_82

Beautiful night at The John F. @KennedyCenter for the Performing Arts for Come Together: A Celebration of #JohnLennon with folks like @am0slee, Steve Van Zandt, @tajmahalblues, Judy Collins, and @EsperanzaSpalding with @DavidDuchovny hosting. #AllWeNeedIsLove #kennedycenter

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 9 May - 11:00

David Duchovny declares Kennedy Center gala a politics-free evening

By Emily Heil May 9 at 1:37 PM

David Duchovny at the Kennedy Center Spring Gala on May 8, 2017. (Photo by Teresa Wood)

Actor David Duchovny, who hosted the Kennedy Center’s spring gala on Monday night, declared the night — a tribute to John Lennon called “Come Together”— to be a politics-free zone. No doubt the reprieve was a welcome relief for the bipartisan VIP-packed audience (including a strong Cabinet turnout by Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson, Veterans Affairs Secretary David Shulkin and Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta).

But the “X Files” star couldn’t restrain himself from taking the subtlest of jabs at the GOP honchos’ boss. Duchovny told the crowd that his favorite Beatles tune was one that they wouldn’t hear that night, though the performances included plenty of others by the likes of Judy Collins and Esperanza Spalding. “‘Dear Prudence,'” he deadpanned, “was also Andrew Jackson’s favorite Beatles song.”

That was, apparently, a riff on Trump’s recent history-defying claims about the seventh U.S. president, who he said was upset by the Civil War, a conflict that began 16 years after Jackson’s death.

Washington Post

Last edited by jade1013 on Thu 11 May - 12:45; edited 1 time in total

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 9 May - 13:38

David Duchovny, Corinne Bailey Rae, Judy Collins & More Honor John Lennon at Kennedy Center Gala

5/9/2017 by Cathy Applefeld Olson

Paul Morigi/Getty Images
David Duchovny, Esperanza Spalding, Steve Van Zandt and Taj Mahal onstage at the show finale at the 2017 Kennedy Center Spring Gala Come Together: A Celebration of John Lennon at John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts on May 8, 2017 in Washington, DC.

Serving as both a fundraiser and a tribute to the late John Lennon, the Kennedy Center's spring gala on Monday (May Cool night was entitled Come Together -- a fitting name for an event that brought together a broad swath of artists, including Corinne Bailey Ra​e, Judy Collins, Shawn Colvin, Jim James, Amos Lee, Taj Mahal, Esperanza Spalding and Steven Van Zandt.

Master of ceremonies David Duchovny also attempted to weave the theme into his opener. Noting he was addressing “the 500-pound red-and-blue gorilla in the room,” he said, “We are not going to make this a political event.” Then proudly sharing his “liberal Hollywood status” he quickly added, “I don’t believe politics should be in the arts, but the arts should be in politics.”

It was a message that likely wasn’t lost on at least half of the bipartisan room. Whether the decision to honor Lennon this year was a direct response to the current administration, an attempt to find peace in discordant times or a little bit of both, it’s pretty tough to experience his music without any political reckoning.

The sheer volume of Lennon’s catalog meant many a favorite tune didn’t make the cut. Hats off to T Bone Burnett, who served as executive music director, and music director David Mansfield for delivering more than 90 minutes of instant tribute karma. Many of the artists took the stage in iconic circular specs, which also figured prominently in a set design of swirling imagery and color.

The night kicked off with a performance “Come Together” by Taj Mahal, Colvin, James and Duchovny, and was followed by its share of standouts: Rae soaring on “Don’t Let Me Down,” Spalding shaking the balconies on “Mother” while simultaneously taming a massive upright bass, and James delivering a very Lennon-esque “Jealous.” Judy Collins singing “In My Life”? Yeah, she’s still got it.

Van Zandt delivered the most raucous performances -- at least as raucous as this crowd was going to get -- with “Working Class Hero” and “Revolution.” He introduced the latter with a deadpan, “It’s rattle-your-jewelry time.”

While most performers gave fairly straightforward interpretations, Lee -- who immersed himself in Lennon’s words and music in preparation -- slowed the tempo of “Help” in a soulful, bluesy rendition. He also performed a pristine “Imagine,” on which he was joined by Rae.

“I wanted to dig into the material and see if there was something I could add,” he tells Billboard. “I have so much respect for him; he legitimately is one of the people who changed the world. For “Help,” Lee says he’d read an interview where Lennon said he’d envisioned the song as a midtempo ballad. “And the lyrics are so heavy,” Lee says. “I came up with an interesting arrangement… I don’t make it really dramatic and slow, it’s more of an aesthetic.

“Listening to his solo stuff was almost like reading his biography,” Lee adds. “I was in awe of how vulnerable he was willing to be with his process, and how free he was. He just didn’t really give a shit. For someone who spent the entirety of their adult life under an enormous lens, he was still able to be self-generated in his art and his perception of who he wanted to be.”

Colvin, whose version of “You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away” showcased her beautiful vocals, says the Kennedy Center had her at hello. “I was asked, and you don’t say no to them, and you don’t say no to a John Lennon tribute,” she says. “The Beatles were and are an essential, crucial part of my life, and John Lennon’s brilliance is something I marvel at continually.”

An ensemble performance of “All You Need Is Love” brought the evening to a confetti-sprinkled close. The spring gala raised $2 million, a portion of which will be used to fund a national arts education program, according to the Kennedy Center.

Billboard

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 9 May - 15:43

Review: ‘Come Together:  A Celebration of John Lennon’ at The Kennedy Center

By Ramona Harper on May 9, 2017

At a time when we can only imagine a world without walls of division and exclusion, the Annual Kennedy Center’s Spring Gala concert, Come Together:  A Celebration of John Lennon, reached for the stars to create new bridges of hope and understanding.

2017 Kennedy Center Spring Gala. Esperanza Spalding. Photo by Teresa Wood.

John Lennon was a prolific songwriter as well as a singer in one of the most influential bands in the history of popular music, the Beatles. Monday night’s stellar concert in tribute to this music icon, performed by legendary singers and songwriters in their own right, was not only a successful Kennedy Center fundraiser to support the arts but also the second annual Kennedy Center Awards for the Human Spirit to honor exceptional contributions to promote diversity in the arts.

Acclaimed Hollywood Actor David Duchovny was host for the evening with T Bone Burnett as Executive Music Director and David Mansfield as Music Director.

Deborah F. Rutter, President, and David M. Rubenstein, Chairman of the Kennedy Center,  introduced this spectacular gala celebration by presenting a Citizen Artist Award to Afa and Aaron Dworkin and a Distinguished Philanthropist Award to  Joan and Sanford Weill, respectively,  for “using the arts to make things better.”

After a round of inspirational acceptance speeches by the honorees, the concert blasted open with the night’s resounding theme song, “Come Together”.

2017 Kennedy Center Spring Gala. (L to R)Taj Mahal, Jim James, Shawn Colvin, and David Duchovny. Photo by Teresa Wood.

A star-studded lineup of some of the most diverse musicians, singers, arrangers, songwriters, music producers, dancers, and TV, stage and film performers on the arts scene today performed the best of John Lennon’s original music: Corinne Bailey Rae, Judy Collins, Shawn Colvin, Jim James, Amos Lee, Taj Mahal, Esperanza Spalding, Steven Van Zandt, and the Rennie Harris Puremovement dance troupe.

Fusing every musical genre, including pop, rock and roll, blues, gospel, hip-hop, R&B, folk and funk, each artist gave their own creative interpretation to John Lennon’s wonderful works.

“Instant Karma” with David Duchovny and Corinne Bailey Rae on “Don’t Let Me Down” kicked off an evening of 13 of John Lennon’s most memorable melodies.

Esperanza Spalding’s bluesy, gospel performance of “Mother” put a soulful spin on it that was almost indescribable in emotional depth that she deepened with masterful wailing on the standing bass.
I have seen Esperanza Spalding’s spirited performance before, most recently at the Kennedy Center’s Mary Lou Williams Jazz Festival:  Tribute to Abbey Lincoln. It’s amazing to see this tiny young woman handle that big bass instrument and let loose with a voice that is almost pretty in its clarity. Esperanza Spalding has the ability to make you feel everything she is expressing vocally and instrumentally.

2017 Kennedy Center Spring Gala. Taj Mahal. Photo by Teresa Wood.

Host David Duchovny has done just about everything an artist can do in self-expression and creativity.  He’s not only a film and TV actor who’s won a Golden Globe for Best Actor in a TV series but also a New York Times bestselling author, director, and international singer whose second album hits the market in fall of this year with a tour to follow.

Duchovny tried his best to keep the evening apolitical but couldn’t resist dropping a few bombs about “fake news” and Andrew Jackson historical flub-ups. As host, however, his low-key, droll sense of humor added a cool comment to an otherwise slow-burn tempo, but warmly effusive evening of great music. A 10-piece band and trio of backup singers accompanied with fine performances.

Memorable photos of John Lennon with videos highlighting themes on social justice and world peace added effective multi-media comment. And it was fun to watch the changing colors of great background graphics including those famous wired-framed owl spectacles John Lennon trademarked that glittered across the stage as a visual thematic brand for the evening.

“Revolution”, powerfully sung by Steven Van Zandt, epitomized the essence of John Lennon’s social conscience, and Jim James on “Jealous Guy” were toe-tapping sing-alongs.

Taj Mahal has been on the music scene for a veritable lifetime and performed “Sweet Little Sixteen” in true Chuck Berry, rock and roll, doo-wop style that rocked the house. Folk singer and guitarist Shawn Colvin on the beautiful “You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away” included a soft flute solo.

Rennie Harris’s Puremovement troupe of five limber young dancers infused youthful energy into the show with their frenetic, literally head-spinning hip hop street dance performance to “Tomorrow Never Knows” sung by Esperanza Spalding.

The iconic Judy Collins graced the stage to sing “In My Life” with beautifully strong vocals and a presence at 77 years of age that was legendary yet still contemporary. Collins is in fine form and it was a treasure to see and hear her perform. I only wished that she had sung this timeless classic in its entirety as it was the only song she performed.

2017 Kennedy Center Spring Gala. (L to R) Taj Mahal, Corinne Bailey Rae, Shawn Colvin, Amos Lee, and Jim James. Photo by Teresa Wood.

After soloing on “Help”, Amos Lee added a soulful edge to the magnificent “Imagine”,  performed as a duet with the effervescent Corinne Bailey Rae. John Lennon was a dreamer and his lyrics to Imagine” was really the climax of the evening with its transformative takeaway message:

Imagine there’s no heaven

It’s easy if you try

No hell below us

Above us only sky

Imagine all the people living for today

Imagine there’s no countries

It isn’t hard to do

Nothing to kill or die for

And no religion too

Imagine all the people living life in peace, you

You may say I’m a dreamer

But I’m not the only one

I hope someday you’ll join us

And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions

I wonder if you can

No need for greed or hunger

A brotherhood of man

Imagine all the people sharing all the world, you

You may say I’m a dreamer

But I’m not the only one

I hope someday you’ll join us

And the world will be as one.

In the finale, a shotgun cannon of confetti joyously filled the air of the Concert Hall of the Kennedy Center to “All You Need is Love” with all of the performers onstage singing in unison. The gala’s fun-filled after-party lingered to the wee hours with the artists, other celebrities, local dignitaries and arts lovers partying with a purpose to celebrate John Lennon and his unifying call to “Come Together”.

Running Time:  One hour and 50-minutes, with no intermission.

Come Together:  A Celebration of John Lennon played for one night only on May 8, 2017, at The Kennedy Center’s Concert Hall – 2700 F Street, in Washington, DC. For future tickets to Kennedy Center events, call the box office at (202) 467-4600, or purchase them online.

DC Metro Theater Arts

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 9 May - 16:04

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 9 May - 16:40

austindelauder

Recently met #Actor @davidduchovny #DavidDuchovny #TheXFiles #AgentFoxMulder #Californication #Aquarius #Zoolander #Evolution #Beethoven

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 9 May - 19:03

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duchovny on Wed 10 May - 5:59

thanks
Duchovny
Phantom
Phantom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 10 May - 12:12

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 10 May - 18:47

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 10 May - 18:50

Jim James and Others -- Come Together -- Kennedy Center John Lennon Tribute (DC)
EasyMorningRebel 665

Published on May 8, 2017

Jim James and Others-- Come Together (John Lennon Cover). Kennedy Center -- Washington, DC. May 8, 2017.

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Thu 11 May - 5:18

jade1013
Pix Queen