The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

See young Mulder and Scully go camping in The X-Files: Earth Children

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: See young Mulder and Scully go camping in The X-Files: Earth Children

Post by jade1013 on Wed 16 Aug - 13:54

An Excerpt of "The X-Files"...for Kids

Seira Wilson on August 16, 2017

When it ended last year the X-Files was one of the longest-running shows on network television with undeniably devoted fans. The show may be done, but FBI agents Scully and Mulder are cemented in our pop culture history and illustrator Kim Smith is bringing them to a new audience--kids. The X-Files Earth Children Are Weird is a bright, fun, picture book, and in it Smith shows young Scully and Mulder already engaged in their believer/skeptic dynamic during a backyard sleepover. While the characters try to sort out the evidence, readers will already be in the know, and the end has a funny twist that should produce a few chuckles. Below are a couple of pages from the book, and below that, a special illustration that Smith created exclusively for the Amazon Book Review. Here's what Smith has to say about the X-Files...

What I love most about the X-Files is the stories that have nothing to do with the main alien mystery/conspiracy. I always loved seeing what new paranormal mystery Mulder and Scully would explore, and what twists and turns the story would take. My favorite storyline in these types of episodes was the one called Bad Blood, where Mulder and Scully retell their versions of the same series of events. It gives great insight into how they view things differently, and also, it’s hilarious. 

Now this illustration you won't find anywhere in the book -- it's an exclusive image of Scully and Mulder enjoying one of our favorite pastimes...reading stacks of books.

Omnivoracious

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 110294
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 25 Aug - 6:56

Short review: The X-Files by Kim Smith

Elementary-school-age versions of Fox Mulder and Dana Scully star in this endearing picture book

55 minutes ago
by: James Lovegrove

Elementary-school-age versions of Fox Mulder and Dana Scully are camping out in the backyard at the Scully house. Scared after Dana reads him a story about aliens, Fox wonders if extraterrestrials really are visiting Earth. The two friends venture out from their tent to investigate, but each of the strange phenomena they encounter in the night — bright light, spooky shadow, giant footprint, creepy noise — turns out to have a perfectly rational explanation. Aliens don’t exist. Or do they?

This endearing picture book works as an enjoyable bedtime read while also making various neat nods to the TV series: the extensive use of flashlights; the characters having the likenesses of the actors; multiple twist endings. It would be tempting to make some sort of play on one of the show’s famous catchphrases here, but I want to believe I’m better than that.

The X-Files: Earth Children are Weird, by Kim Smith, Quirk Books, RRPŁ6.99, 44 pages

Financial Times

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 30 Aug - 5:16

10 Things You Should Know About Illustration By Kim Smith

Kim Smith writes a piece for us upon the release of her new book The X Files: Earth Children Are Weird.

29 August 2017

Even after many of hours of practice drawing many different things, horses, hands, and feet still can be hard to put down on paper. When I find something difficult to draw I sometimes use a photo reference of myself or the thing that I'm drawing to make sure the illustration is as believable as possible. Sometimes what you think something looks like, isn’t right at all.

The X Files: Earth Children Are Weird

Illustrators can have very flexible career paths. Along with illustrating children’s books I have created images for apps, packaging for beverages, landscape prints, character design for animation, backgrounds for video games, illustration for magazine articles, and kid friendly dental offices.

When working on a children's book I rarely meet the author whose book I'm illustrating. In fact, out of the many books I've illustrated, I have never met a single author I’ve been paired with in person.

My illustrations are painted digitally, even though sometimes it can be mistaken for a painting created with real paint. I use digital paint brushes to mimic the real thing so if something needs to be erased, made larger or smaller, or the colour needs to be changed, it’s easy to go back and make those changes.

Drawing’s not just a natural ability. To get to be great at it, illustrators need to practice, practice, practice.

In addition to the artwork I do for publishers and professionally, I still draw and paint lots of things for fun.

Inspiration for ideas can come from anywhere, not just one specific place. Real life, dreams, your imagination . . . anywhere. This is why it’s always good to keep a sketchbook handy.

Being an illustrator, you have the ability to work from anywhere, as long as you can have your drawing tools handy.

When making digital illustrations, I create them in almost the same way as someone would create a traditional painting, except that my paintbrush is a special pen called a stylus, and the canvas I ‘paint’ on is a computer screen that has special technology that reads the pen as you paint or draw.

It can take anywhere from 3-6 months to illustrate a children’s book from start to finish.

FemaleFirst.co.uk

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 6 Oct - 4:44

‘The X-Files: Earth Children Are Weird’ Giveaway

Posted on 6 October, 2017 by Sophie Brown

The X-Files: Earth Children Are Weird, Image: Quirk Books

Halloween is the time for sharing spooky stories with our kids, but many of our favorite shows and films are far too scary to share with our little ones until they are almost adults themselves. For fans of The X-Files, however, Quirk Books is here to help with a new kid-friendly picture book, The X-Files: Earth Children Are Weird by Kim Smith, that is perfect for reading aloud on a spooky October night.

Earth Children Are Weird gives us Mulder and Scully (Fox and Dana) as kids around eight years old. The kids are having a campout in Dana’s backyard with her dog Buster and, at the start of the night, Dana reads a scary story aloud and spooks Fox whose imagination quickly takes hold. As on the show, Fox immediately starts seeing strange and paranormal things all around the yard, but with her handy flashlight, Dana is able to show him that they are nothing more sinister than the porchlight or a squeaky tire swing. But this is The X-Files, so perhaps not all is as it seems to the young skeptical Scully?

Fox is scared in Earth Children Are Weird, Image: Quirk Books

The book is one of a series of picture books from Quirk that takes classic properties and converts them to kid-friendly stories. Home Alone has already been released, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial is out on Halloween, and Back to the Future is scheduled for publication in April 2018. All the books are illustrated by Kim Smith, whose cute cartoon style is perfect at translating what are often more adult stories into bright and bold kid-friendly illustrations. In fact, I have already compiled a mental list of other shows and films I would love to see given the same treatment.

I absolutely fell in love with Earth Children Are Weird. Kid Mulder and Scully make the perfect protagonists for a spooky picture book, the art is utterly adorable, and even my son, who is both a reluctant reader and easily scared, thoroughly enjoyed it and read it to himself after I had initially read it aloud.

Dana finds a rational explanation in Earth Children Are Weird, Image: Quirk Books

We have a paperback copy of The X-Files: Earth Children Are Weird to give away. To enter, fill in the form below. The competition is open until 11.59PM PT on Friday, October 13th (coincidentally, Agent Mulder’s birthday) and is open globally. Good luck!

GeekDad

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2