The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

THE X-FILES #17 - Resistance, Part 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

THE X-FILES #17 - Resistance, Part 4

Post by jade1013 on Wed 24 May - 13:00

Also coming in August (and this one comes with added news)... THE X-FILES #17, "Resistance" Part Four, will be the final issue of the series, and my final issue writing THE X-FILES monthly.

It's been four years and 60+ issues total (if you count the X-MAS SPECIALS and MILLENNIUM, I think). I'll probably write something up that's more coherent and reflective later today. There's more I want to say, and have been trying to find time to put it all together. But news of this has dripped out already, and I wanted to say something in the meantime.

Thanks to my collaborators, to IDW, to FOX, Chris Carter and, especially, to you guys for supporting us. It wasn't always as freewheeling, startling, and easy as a lot of that first "Season 10" run allowed for, but I'm proud of what this team put together over a longer span than I've been privileged to work on anything else in comics, and I hope you enjoy RESISTANCE (which, for my money, aims THE X-FILES precisely in the direction needed for the strange times we're all living in).

THE X-FILES #17

Joe Harris (W), Matthew Dow Smith (A), menton3 (C), Photo (VC).

"Resistance," Part 4 of 4: The final piece of the puzzle falls into place, threatening to send Mulder over the line, just as shadowy forces are revealed to have compromised the upper echelons of government.

32 pages, $3.99.

Joe Harris

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 110171
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: THE X-FILES #17 - Resistance, Part 4

Post by jade1013 on Fri 26 May - 15:35

IDW Publishing Solicitations for August 2017

by CBR Staff

The X-Files #17—Cover A: menton3—SPOTLIGHT

• Joe Harris (w) • Matthew Dow Smith (a) • menton3 (c)
  • “Resistance,” Part 4 (of 4): The final piece of the puzzle falls into place, threatening to send Mulder over the line, just as shadowy forces are revealed to have compromised the upper echelons of government.
  • FC • 32 pages • $3.99

The X-Files #17—Cover B: Photo

• Joe Harris (w) • Matthew Dow Smith (a) • Photo (c)
  • FC • 32 pages • $3.99
  • Executive produced by The X-Files creator Chris Carter!
  • Things come to a head in the final issue of this season!

CBR

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 30 Aug - 5:21

Comic Book Review – The X-Files #17

August 30, 2017 by Tony Black

Tony Black reviews The X-Files #17…

“Resistance,” Part 4 (of 4): The final piece of the puzzle falls into place, threatening to send Mulder over the line, just as shadowy forces are revealed to have compromised the upper echelons of government.

Unlike the main series from which it spawned, The X-Files comic run from IDW draws to a monthly close after almost eighteen months, since the series returned for the first revival. ‘Resistance’ part four marks the culmination of a mythology arc which has by necessity trodden a difficult balance; attempting to forge its own corner of the alien mythos with the Old Ones and their ‘holes in the sky’, much more Lovecraftian in scope than Chris Carter’s B-movie 50’s tropes reborn in the main show, while not interfering with the primary narrative still unfolding for Agents Mulder & Scully and their ongoing search for the truth. Joe Harris, by and large, has successfully managed to give these run of comics their own style and flavour while feeling like an extension of the series itself.

This final issue takes everything Harris has built on and culminates in a time old, nebulous X-Files fashion, as mysterious alien forces schism over their dominance of a broken political system they are exploiting for their own ends, with Mulder & Scully sort of putting the pieces together while never being entirely certain of anything, as Skinner is forced to capitulate to a new, hard-line, authoritarian Presidency in how the FBI is dealt with. Sound familiar? It’s strange how Harris has been criticised for his IDW run being ‘too political’ when The X-Files is a show mired in and reflective of the murky politics which America has experienced since, significantly, the end of the Second World War. Maybe Harris’ significantly liberal, anti-Trump views are just a little too close to home for some people. For me it shoots these comics through with a contemporary sense of commentary, satire and bravery.

Think about it. At the time of writing, a day before the issue is released, North Korea just fired missiles over Japanese airspace. Harris’ final issue concerns a growing US/North Korean standoff exacerbated by alien forces only Mulder & Scully vaguely get to grips with. Rarely has a comic been so unexpectedly well-timed to tap into such an anxious zeitgeist, as it were. Harris’ writing, as always backed up by Matthew Dow Smith’s haunting, striking panels, is unafraid to be mythic and layered, even if at times he sacrifices plot and clarity for polemic and enigma. That’s what makes his stamp on The X-Files so interesting and original and why, as ‘Resistance’ as probably the strongest singular story in this continuation run proves, his own voice will be missed depending on where X-Files comics go from here.

So as the curtain comes down, remember this entire continuation run is essential reading for any fan of The X-Files, and ‘Resistance’ caps off an excellent ‘series finale’. Get them solo, get them in trade, but get them, as the guys as IDW have crafted some fantastic extensions of this great show over the last few years and have kept the flame burning. As a team, Joe Harris, Matthew Dow Smith, Jordie Bellaire, Chris Fenolglio, Denton Tipton and more, you will be missed and thank you, on behalf of all X-Files fans reading. The truth is that you did good.

Rating: 8/10

Tony Black

Flickering Myth

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 30 Aug - 17:50

The X-Files #17 Review

Nick Nafpliotis
August 30, 2017

The X-Files (2016-) #17 Joe HarrisPrice: Check on Amazon

This issue is supposedly where the final piece of the puzzle falls into place. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the hell the puzzle is supposed to be. Let’s read on and see if we can figure it out together.

First Read Reactions

• War tensions with North Korea. Too real, man. Too real.
  • Nothing stops a brutal argument with your spouse like a alien-possessed fireman coming toward you. Lucky break, Mulder.
  • Is Skinner about to have a meeting with the Blues Brothers?
  • Ah, it’s just shadowy high level government operatives. Carry on…
  • Gotta love when even fictional characters can recognize that our current president is a joke.
  • So wait–the dude just disappeared? And a giant spaceship appeared? And everyone realizes that the big bad conspiracy goes all the way to the highest levels of government? Where have I heard all of that before?

The Verdict

I hate…HATE that the series had to end on a story like this. I much prefer Joe Harris’ X-Files work when he’s telling self-contained stories. The ones tying into the series’ mythology (like this one) vacillate wildly between careening on the edge of incoherence and remixing the same old things we’ve seen before.

At least Harris’ interactions between Scully and Mulder are great as usual–and of course Matthew Dow Smith’s art is good. I’d love it if these two got together sometime in the future and did another continuation of an X-Files creature classic (like the brilliant Flukeman arc) or maybe even a monster of their own creation.

Unfortunately, the final issue for this excellent creative team leaves a giant burning hole in my heart.

The X-Files #17

Is it good?

A great creative team sadly ends their X-Files run on a derivative mythology arc.

+ At least Harris’ interactions between Scully and Mulder are great as usual.

+ Matthew Dow Smith’s art is predictably good.

- This story arc has vacillated wildly between careening on the edge of incoherence and remixing the same old things we’ve seen before.

Meh

AiPT! Comics

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down