The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

7 New Netflix Shows to Binge in June, and The Best Episodes of Each

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by jade1013 on Mon 5 Jun - 12:40

"Orange is the New Black" returns, Naomi Watts gets her own TV show, and a few so-bad-they're-kind-of-good Netflix originals make up the best of June.

Ben Travers
Jun 1, 2017 6:00 am
@BenTTravers

Jojo Whilden/Netflix

1. “Orange is the New Black” Season 5 (available June 9)

Why Should I Watch It? “Orange is the New Black” got dark last year. Not that Jenji Kohan’s award-winning Netflix original hasn’t always been open to heavy topics and painful arcs, but the end of Season 4 took things to the next level. Perhaps it was always planned. Perhaps it was their recent Emmys re-classification as a drama. Perhaps it was the mood of a nation. But it was memorable, haunting television. And we’re eager to see what comes next.

Best Episode: Our esteemed TV Editor Liz Shannon Miller chose the best episode of Season 5 after reviewing the entire season: Episode 5, “Sing It, White Effie,” features “focuses on Janae Watson (Vicky Jeudy) in the flashbacks, and features heartbreaking moments both in the past and the present.” That’s as much as we can say without spoiling things, so check IndieWire after the series is released for more.

2. “GLOW” Season 1 (available June 23)

Why Should I Watch It? There are all sorts of reasons, without a clear, defining victor, so let’s just run through them all, in no particular order. As you can see above, Alison Brie is in “GLOW.” That right there is a great reason to watch. Also, “GLOW” stands for Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling, which is what the series focuses on: a women’s professional wrestling circuit… in the 1980s! The ’80s! Women’s wrestling! Alison Brie! And, oh yeah, “GLOW” was created by Liz Flahive (“Nurse Jackie”) and Carly Mensch (“Orange is the New Black”), the latter of whom worked with Jenji Kohan on “OITNB,” who’s also a producer on “GLOW”!

Phew. Is that enough? No? Check out our gallery of first look photos, and you’ll be ready.

Best Episode: We haven’t gotten to the episodes yet, but IndieWire will be on the scene with the cast (including Alison Brie) and crew at this year’s ATX Festival on Sunday, June 11. So come on back to IndieWire for more on this hotly anticipated new series. (Also, the best Alison Brie episode ever is “Mad Men,” Season 3, Episode 3, because this happens.)

3. “Gypsy” Season 1 (available June 30)

Why Should I Watch It? Rarely do synopses provide the best reason to watch a show, but the official Netflix language used to promote “Gypsy” is the rare exception:

The 10-part psychological thriller Jean Halloway (Naomi Watts), a Manhattan therapist with a seemingly picturesque life who begins to develop intimate and illicit relationships with the people in her patients’ lives. As the borders of Jean’s professional life and personal fantasies become blurred, she descends into a world where the forces of desire and reality are disastrously at odds.

“Psychological thriller”? “Intimate and illicit relationships”? “Naomi Watts“? I mean, what else do you need to know? This sounds exciting — in every meaning of that word.

Best Episode: Listen, we’re not prone to loving batshit crazy TV for the sake of batshit crazy TV. But I feel safe in predicting the best episode of “Gypsy” will be the nuttiest one. This could be wrong. This could be the next great original drama. But a Netflix thriller still sounds like a damn fun time more than an intensely serious experience. So let’s embrace the madness and hope for something brilliantly crazy.

4. “Aquarius” Season 2 (available June 16)

Why Should I Watch It? David Duchovny punches hippies. We’ve been over this — twice! You should be watching.

Best Episode: So few of you listened the first dozen times we told you to watch “Aquarius” — leading to its tragic cancellation and forcing Duchovny to return to the drecks of broadcast television — that maybe we should never tell you about the best episode of the series, “While My Guitar Gently Weeps,” the eighth episode of the solid second season. I mean, it’s obvious from the title alone this episode is going to be peak Duchovny, and the long-awaited, unexpected meeting of his Detective Hank Hodiak and Charles Manson (Gethin Anthony) pays off. Don’t skip what comes before, but you monsters can do whatever you like. Man, we miss “Aquarius.”

5. “Flaked” Season 2 (available June 2)

Why Should I Watch It? “Should” is a strong word to use regarding “Flaked,” given its first season was largely unrewarding and the trailer for Season 2 doesn’t look like any major changes have occurred. But the sensory experience of this Venice-set tale is quite strong, making it an easy summer binge, even if it leaves you fuming at the characters’ poor decision-making. Plus, you know, Will Arnett is pretty cool.

Best Episode: Please, please, please let it be the one where Chip (Arnett) rides his bike around Venice, for that would mean every episode is good. Well, technically, that would mean every episode is of the same quality, either good or bad, which seems more likely. But hey, Venice is beautiful! We’ll try it out!

6. “Turn: Washington’s Spies” Season 3 (available June 4)

Why Should I Watch It? “Turn” is one of those shows that deserves better than the attention paid to it (very little), but it isn’t good enough to be considered among TV’s elite modern dramas. In other words, it’s kind of perfect for Netflix. If you have the urge to throw yourself into a Revolutionary War thriller with solid acting and good costumes, then you can flip on “Turn: Washington Spies” and get your fix without feeling adherent to tracking another show week-to-week. And hey, maybe you’ll like it more than some of the other stuff you’re watching. Maybe you will track it week-to-week. It’s pretty good.

Best Episode: While the finale offers a solid conclusion to the season, we’re going to go with the penultimate episode, “Blade on the Feather” – Episode 9 of Season 3. There’s lots of plotting, and scheming is often the most entertaining aspect of “Turn.” Benedict Arnold (Owain Yeoman) is living up to his name by trying to hand over West Point to the British, while Abe (Jamie Bell) is cooking up an all-out revolt. The culmination of these events is enticing enough, but the prep is the powder that sets off the keg, and…um, I guess we like powder? Didn’t really think that metaphor through.

7. “The Ranch” Part 3 (available June 16)

Why Should I Watch It? Sam Elliott. We’re not being dramatic here: Sam Elliott is literally the only reason to watch “The Ranch,” and before you dismiss the hackneyed, redundant, largely laughless story surrounding Elliott’s aging ranch hand, please consider this description of his arc from our review of Season 1, Part 2:

Accompanying the tragedy that is the show itself is a specifically depressing chronicle of a classic American rancher who’s slowly but steadily losing everything he’s grown to love, respect and understand about an identity forged by those of The Greatest Generation. As he inches closer and closer to death, he faces limitations and loss. But more importantly, his soul is dying — and with it, the American dream.

Typically, I’m a bit cheeky in this monthly column, but I will absolutely be watching “The Ranch” Season 2 because of Sam Elliott. There is a profundity in Beau’s struggles so far beyond the rest of the series, it’s even more fascinating because of the stark contrast. I need to see where his journey takes him.

Best Episode: It’s tough to choose the best episode of Season 1, and not just because there are 20 episodes in the two parts. It’s also that most episodes feature horrifically homophobic jokes, both dated and unfunny, so you have to sort through those and find moments with Beau that stand out for the right reasons more than those stand out for the wrong ones. Let’s go with Episode 5, which is where Beau and Maggie’s (Debra Winger) relationship comes to a head, with a special shout-out to Episode 8, where Beau figuratively shows his soft side while literally enjoying the softness of his brand new Ugg boots.

The Rest of Incoming TV

“Arrow” Season 5 (available June 1)
“Intersection” Season 2 (available June 1)
“Mutant Busters” Season 2 (available June 1)
“Off Camera with Sam Jones” Series 3 (available June 1)
“The 100” Season 4 (available June 1)
“West Coast Customs” Season 3 (available June 1)
“Comedy Bang! Bang!” Season 5, Part 2 (available June 1)
“Inspector Gadget” Season 3 (available June 2)
“My Only Love Song” Season 1 (available June 9)
“Quantico” Season 2 (available June 14)
“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” Season 4 (available June 15)
“El Chapo” Season 1 (available June 16)
“World of Winx” Season 2 (available June 16)
“Grey’s Anatomy” Season 13 (available June 17)
“Scandal” Season 6 (available June 17)
“Shooter” Season 1 (available June 18)
“Baby Daddy” Season 6 (available June 21)
“Young & Hungry” Season 5 (available June 21)
“Free Rein” Season 1 (available June 23)
“Little Witch Academia” Season 1 (available June 30)

IndieWire

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 110298
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 New Netflix Shows to Binge in June, and The Best Episodes of Each

Post by Duchovny on Tue 6 Jun - 7:24

thanks
Duchovny
Phantom