The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

The X-Files: JFK Disclosure

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The X-Files: JFK Disclosure

Post by jade1013 on Thu 13 Jul - 9:34

The Next X-Files Comic Is Tackling JFK's Assassination

James Whitbrook
54 minutes ago

Image: IDW. The X-Files: JFK Disclosure #1 Art by Menton3.

For years, The X-Files has trawled the dark, weird world of conspiracy theories for stories—but its latest comic is going to be tackling one of the biggest and wildest slate of theories in the world: the conspiracies surrounding the assassination of President Kennedy in November 1963.

While there are oodles of bizarro theories about that fateful November afternoon, X-Files: JFK Disclosure—a two-part special written by Denton J. Tipton, with art by Menton3—will take its own strange slant, thrusting none other that true believer Fox Mulder himself into the heart of the real truth behind Kennedy’s death. Which, in true X-Files fashion, pins that conspiracy to the one to cover up another death; that of Mulder’s father, Bill. With no one left to turn to, Mulder finds himself on a dangerous path that sees him have to decide whether his belief in his father or his belief in the truth is more important to him.

Connected covers for issues 1 and 2 of JFK disclosure by J.J. Lendl.

Of course JFK’s assassination has come up in The X-Files before. Various conspiracy theories have been mentioned on the show and, of course, there was the possibility presented in “Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man.” In that episode, it was postulated that the smoke-surrounded villain had committed the crime from a sewer and used Lee Harvey Oswald as a patsy. We’ll see how much of that makes it to the comic. The Cigarette Smoking Man did work with Bill Mulder, after all.

Although the series is delving into X-Files mythology for its JFK theories, JFK Disclosure does have one way to tie into the real world conspiracies surrounding the assassination: it’s being released to tie-into the public release of the final batch of sealed government files related to Kennedy’s death due this October. “Though more than 50 years have passed, the JFK assassination continues to be a popular topic of conversation among all walks of life,” series writer Denton Tipton said in a statement provided to io9. “Now the most popular FBI agents of all time will dive headlong into the greatest conspiracy of the 20th century, just as new facts are about to come to light in the real world. That is unless they are suppressed once again…”

The X-Files: JFK Disclosure #1 cover art by Menton3.

The X-Files: JFK Disclosure is set to begin October 25, a day before the 25-year statute on the 1992 JFK Records Act—which demanded all files related to Kennedy’s assassination be made public within 25 years—is set to end. Insert your best X-Files theme impression here!

Gizmodo

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 110171
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The X-Files: JFK Disclosure

Post by jade1013 on Thu 13 Jul - 16:32

X-FILES Comic to Tackle the JFK Assassination

Posted by Eric Diaz on July 13, 2017

The X-Files has tackled every conspiracy theory under the sun over the nearly 25 years that the show has been around, everything from Roswell to Bigfoot to you name it. But one of the most famous American conspiracy theories that series creator Chris Carter has thus far mostly stayed away from (at least in any great detail) is the assassination of President John F. Kennedy back in 1963. But that’s about to change.

According to the folks at io9, publisher IDW Comics is coming out with X-Files: JFK Disclosure, a two-part special written by Denton J. Tipton, with art by Menton3. The special will draw its own weird conclusions on the JFK case, and will place Fox Mulder himself into the middle of the “real truth” behind Kennedy’s death, which will apparently cover up another assassination, that of Mulder’s father, Bill. You can check out the covers to the X-Files: JFK Disclosure down below.

The reason for the release of this series right now? JFK Disclosure is being released to tie-into the public release of the final batch of sealed government files related to Kennedy’s death which are due this October. Series writer Denton Tipton said in a statement “Though more than 50 years have passed, the JFK assassination continues to be a popular topic of conversation among all walks of life. Now the most popular FBI agents of all time will dive headlong into the greatest conspiracy of the 20th century, just as new facts are about to come to light in the real world. That is unless they are suppressed once again.”

The X-Files: JFK Disclosure is set to hit comic book shops on October 25, a day before the 25-year statute on the 1992 JFK Records Act, which demanded all files related to Kennedy’s assassination be made public within 25 years, is set to come to an end.

Are you stoked to see X-Files finally tackle the conspiracy theory to end all conspiracy theories? Be sure to let us know your thoughts down below in the comments.

Nerdist

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 22 Aug - 17:33

EXCLUSIVE: The X-Files Meets Real-Life History in JFK Disclosure #2

3 hours ago
by CBR Staff

The original The X-Files TV series touched on the real-life assassination of President John F. Kennedy, something that IDW Publishing’s The X-Files: JFK Disclosure two-issue miniseries looks to explore further, from the creative team of writer Denton J. Tipton (editor of IDW series including Star Wars Adventures) and artist Menton3 (cover artist of IDW’s The X-Files ongoing).

CBR has the first look at the solicitation text for November’s The X-Files: JFK Disclosure #2 — scheduled for release the same month as the 54th anniversary of the JFK assassination — and the issue’s main cover by Menton3, and variant by J.J. Lendl.

The X-Files: JFK Disclosure #2 (of 2)—Cover A: Menton3

• Denton J. Tipton (w) • Menton3 (a & c)
  • When he learns the real reason behind President Kennedy’s assassination, Mulder also discovers his father was involved in the conspiracy. This revelation forces him to decide between the two things he holds most sacred: his family and the truth. It’s bombshell after bombshell in The X-Files: JFK Disclosure!
  • FC • 40 pages • $4.99

The X-Files: JFK Disclosure #2 (of 2)—Cover B: J.J. Lendl

• Denton J. Tipton (w) • Menton3 (a) • J.J. Lendl (c)
  • FC • 40 pages • $4.99

Bullet points:

• Lavishly painted art by Menton3!
  • Timed for release on the anniversary of President Kennedy’s assassination!
  • Don’t miss the B cover by X-Files Poster Project artist J.J. Lendl that connects to the previous issue’s cover!

CBR

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 24 Oct - 17:11

MULDER & SCULLY Explore the 'Grandaddy of all Conspiracies' in X-FILES: JFK DISCLOSURE

By Vaneta Rogers, Newsarama Contributor October 24, 2017 02:55pm ET

Credit: IDW

Just as the last government documents tied to the 1963 assassination of President John F. Kennedy are released this week, IDW is releasing its own conspiracy theory-of-sorts in The X-Files: JFK Disclosure #1.

After the story links the assassination to Agent Mulder's father, the two-part special explores how Mulder will have to decide which is more important: his belief in his father or his belief in the truth. And according to the issue's writer, the plot is not only connected but it pays homage to its unusual structure.

The book, which pays homage to the fan-favorite X-Files TV episode "Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man," features painted art by Menton3, who's usually featured as the cover artist on IDW's X-Files series. The X-Files: JFK Disclosure is written by Denton J. Tipton, an IDW editor on such titles as Orphan Black and Star Wars Adventures, in addition to being an editor on X-Files.

Newsarama talked to Tipton to find out more about this latest JFK conspiracy theory, why he thinks The X-Files TV show concept has continued to endure, and why the news in the headlines about documents related to the JFK assassination played a role in this week's release of The X-Files: JFK Disclosure.

Newsarama: Denton, I can't believe how often other writers say their book is "such-and-such meets The X-Files." I just had it happen this week. The concept of this TV show has lived on so long. As an editor on the book, and writing this story in particular, what do you think is the attraction of The X-Files, that so many other comic books and TV series – and even movies — have kind of mimicked its structure and style?

Denton J. Tipton: Most people seem to be intrigued by mysteries of the unknown from a young age. Many of us grew up on the like of The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, Goosebumps, Maurice Sendak, Roald Dahl, Neil Gaiman... the list goes on and on. The X-Files taps into that in a way that appeals to our inner child, but with the sophistication needed to sustain our attention as an adult. And once you fall in love with the Scully-Mulder relationship, and you will, it hooks you for good.

Nrama: This series in particular is exploring a moment from U.S. history that has long been associated with conspiracy theories — and one that's in the news right now. Can you give some set-up for the series title and subject?

Tipton: You're right, the JFK assassination has been the granddaddy of conspiracy theories since the 1970s, when Watergate and revelation of CIA assassinations all but wiped out the American people's trust in the government and cast the Warren Commission's findings in serious doubt.

Then in 1991, Oliver Stone's film JFK raised some very incendiary questions about the conspiracy, and helped gain passage of legislation that declared all the assassination records must be made public by October 26, 2017. With that date in mind, The X-Files: JFK Disclosure quickly came into focus.

Nrama: The flashbacks to the '50s and '60s offer an opportunity to explore that time period. Is that something that interested you? Why do you think it works with X-Files?

Tipton: These eras saw so much upheaval, politically and socially, there's an inexhaustible amount of story material to mine and shape into an engaging narrative. An unkillable golden goose, if you will. From glam to grit, it had it all.

JFK Disclosure uses the famous episode "Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man" as a jumping-off point and also as a roadmap for its structure. "Musings" is a prime example of unreliable narrator, the three vignettes that make up the episode don't really line up with each other, let alone timelines established in other episodes. So we're taking the ball and running with it a bit here.

Nrama: This revelation that Mulder's dad might be linked to the JFK assassination reminds me a bit of the insinuations in last year's U.S. elections that one of the candidates was connected to the JFK assassination. It felt like the ultimate insult, that you or someone connected to you had something to do with shooting President Kennedy. Does that play into your story? Or at least the general thought of being linked to something so infamous?

Tipton: That general thought played into it, but not that specific incident. Legacy, respect, and pride are major motivations for our characters in this story. But the ultimate goal of Mulder has, and always will be, uncovering the truth. No matter what the cost.

Nrama: The art sets an extraordinary tone. How would you describe the way the art communicates the feel you were hoping to achieve with this story?

Tipton: Menton3 had been the cover artist for our main X-Files title for the past few years, and had gotten the itch to draw more interiors and stretch his storytelling muscles. His most popular covers tended to be those that featured the Cigarette Smoking Man, so putting him on the gestating JFK project was an easy fit.

When we started to discuss who we'd bring in to write this story, Menton really pushed me to take it on myself.

Two of our favorite creators are Grant Morrison and Dave McKean, so Arkham Asylum became our urtext, our guiding light. I wrote the scripts in a similiar manner, keeping things loose enough to allow Menton room to interpret and extrapolate on things he felt important to the story.

He approached each scene from a new angle, and often in different mediums, that spoke to different and specific emotions. The Las Vegas scenes are in a stark contrast with those set in Dallas or in the nursing home where Mulder meets his informant. The various moods emanate from the pages.

Nrama: I think fans of his covers will be pleased with the interiors — each of the scenes, like you said, almost feel like a different approach.

Tipton: He took it to the next level when he turned a double-page spread of a starlet on it's side so the reader had to turn the book as if looking at a centerfold pinup. A subtle, but effective psychological trick.

Nrama: Then to finish up, Denton, is there anything else you want to tell potential readers about The X-Files: JFK Disclosure?

Tipton: Though this is deeply rooted in X-Files lore, you don't need to be an X-Phile to enjoy the story. From flashy gangsters and shady G-men to glamorous dames and dissected aliens, this one has something for (most) everyone.

Newsarama

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 24 Oct - 17:20

The X-Files: JFK Disclosure #1 Review

Nick NafpliotisNick Nafpliotis
October 24, 2017

The X-Files: JFK Disclosure #1 (of 2)
Denton Tipton

On October 26, 2017, the United States Government will (probably) declassify and release all files (yeah right) they have pertaining to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

But one day before that, on October 25, IDW will the release the first of a two part X-Files event, JFK Disclosure. My pre-read guess: Aliens are somehow going to be involved.

First Read Reactions

• I still don’t like people who insist on going by one name professionally (except for Prince), but I’ve got admit, Menton3 can even make anything look stunning–even a horrific gunshot wound that represents one of the most tragic moments in American history.

I may not have been alive when it happened, but this image still breaks my heart.

• HA! Even Mulder realizes how stupid #PizzaGate is.

• Take note, ladies: The key to getting Mulder to come visit you is to use his father’s first name in a cryptic telephone call.

• I would complain about the blatant overuse of two-page spreads which have very little to do with the story, but it’s Menton3, so I’ll allow it.

• Wow, Denton J. Tipton is really swinging for the fences with the old school mobster references…

• …and huge bonus points for the E. Howard Hunt cameo.

• “Deathbed confessions may be cliche, but cliches are cliche for a reason.”

• Gotta hate it when you’re hired to kill Castro and things fall apart spectacularly.

• CALLED IT.

The Verdict

First off, how crazy is it that we have a creative team with so much rhyming between their names? Denton J. Tipton and Menton3? There’s your conspiracy right there.

But I digress…I think we all knew where this was headed, although I give props to Tipton for adding at least one unexpected wrinkle to the proceedings. He fills his narrative with a ton of real world history and characters, which is always a good boast in the world building department for conspiracy-based stories like this.

I do wish more had actually happened though. Aside from a couple of punches to the stomach and one heavily redacted action sequence, the issue primarily consists of sparse dialogue surrounded by beautiful Menton3 artwork…which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. But on a story like this–especially when it’s one of only two parts and has an obvious “twist” ending–it can be a slightly frustrating read.

All that being said, though, I’m still definitely on board for the second issue. I’m not sure how all the information is going to be packed into one slightly oversized comic, but at least we know it will look beautiful no matter what.

The X-Files: JFK Disclosure #1

Is it good?

Despite a narrative that spins its wheels too much, a wealth of historical easter eggs and some great dialogue makes The X-Files: JFK Disclosure worth pulling from the archives.

+ Menton3's artwork is beautiful.

+ Writer Denton J. Tipton fills the narrative with plenty of real historical tidbits and characters along with plenty of great dialogue.

- Unfortunately, not much happens.

- As nice as Menton3's artwork is, there is an overabundance of splash pages and large panels with sparse bits of narrative.

- The twist at the end is painfully obvious to any X-Files or science fiction fan.

Good

AiPT! Comics

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 25 Oct - 16:54

Review: THE X-FILES: JFK DISCLOSURE #1

Keith Callbeck
9 hours ago

THE X-FILES: JFK DISCLOSURE #1
Written by Denton J. Tipton
Art by Menton3 and Saida Temofonte
Published by IDW Publishing
Released October 25, 2017

Hitting shelves the same week as the long-secret JFK assassination files hit the internet, this latest X-Files mini-series opens up the greatest cold case in US history.

As someone who was not a fan of the TV series, but was long an expert in JFK conspiracy theories, I have a unique angle to represent in a review. This is essentially a crossover of two fandoms and I was in the one without its own successful TV series.

Roping in elements from various second gunman theories, this storyline kicks off with Agent Mulder getting cryptic hints that his own father was hanging around with the wrong crowd in Dallas in 1963. Mulder is off on the trail of the granddad of all conspiracy theories, as always wanting to believe.

For those in the kook-loop, this story leans toward the mob theory, with some other elements peeking through at the tail end of the issue.

Menton3’s art reminds me of Bill Sienkiewicz’s landmark conspiracy graphic novel Brought To Light. Breaking outside any traditional panel structure, each page or double spread is a complete work of art with Temofonte’s lettering handling the heavy lifting of pacing the story through balloon/box placement.

Menton3 lays out compelling images digging into the deep-dive of the conspiracies. From a cameo by the infamous Umbrella Man to a shocking double-page of the Kennedy kill shot. Take off the captions and dialogue and most of the book could be sold as an art book. A remarkable use of color and design creates a dreamlike experience for the reader.

Ending on a final moment that brings the X-Files part of this story to the forefront, this issue kicks off an accessible and engaging take on the assassination. It almost makes one believe Mr. Mulder Sr. will show up somewhere in that last pile of files.

The Verdict: 8.0/10

Comicosity

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down