The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

2018/02/20 - David at Powerstation in Auckland, New Zealand

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Re: 2018/02/20 - David at Powerstation in Auckland, New Zealand

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 8:56

changtiki
Powerstation

Hank Moody, Agent Mulder #XFiles #californication

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 113930
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 9:05

ninaujdur
Powerstation

@davidduchovny Tuesday night got me 💕 #thexfiles

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 9:09

pnknes
Powerstation

Yesssssss!!!! 🙌🏼💗

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 9:12

pnknes
Powerstation

‘Every love is priceless and worthless’ deep Hank, deep!

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 9:34

David Duchovny, Auckland NZ, 2018

David Duchovny

20th February 2018
Powerstation, Auckland, New Zealand.

Review by Sarah Kidd. Photography by Doug Peters.

When most people first hear the name David Duchovny images of the X-Files (Fox Mulder), Californication (Hank Moody) or if you are that way inclined Jake Winters (Red Shoe Diaries) come to mind. But on his first trip to New Zealand, Duchovny is not here due to his acting, but due to his musical capabilities.

Yes that’s right. Musical.

Duchovny – who recently released his sophomore album entitled Every Third Thought is a singer/songwriter and not a bad one at that. Arriving to a rather modest crowd – that to be perfectly honest, were predominantly made up of women, many of them who became quite shrill when it came to Duchovny even looking their way – Duchovny cut a polite figure in simple blue jeans and an off white, long-sleeved cotton t-shirt. Accompanied by a five piece band (who go by the name of Weather, and are all Berklee-trained musicians) Duchovny wasted no time in getting straight into his first track entitled ‘Every Third Thought.’ Singing in an octave slightly lower than his day to day speaking voice, it is pleasant and rather soothing; however it is also noticeable that singing is not something that comes naturally to Duchovny, in fact by his own admission, he has been taking singing lessons.

And right here ladies and gentlemen, lies within the beauty of the entire show. Duchovny’s performance tonight is genuine. It is honest and earnest and comes from a place within him that does not require him to put on a persona, take the form of a character or even dress up like a woman (Twin Peaks anyone?). This evening is like looking through the window and seeing the real thing.

“Thank you Auckland” Duchovny’s first spoken words to the audience met with shrieks of devotion from a number in the front row “Took a long time to get here, well for me it took fifty years…” that small smile curling the corner of his mouth eliciting laughter from the crowd. There is a self-deprecating sense to Duchovny, throughout the set he often makes jokes about requiring help with the lyrics, or just singing in general. One gets the impression that in some ways that beneath the exterior of Hollywood celebrity is just a quiet dude who wants to get it right.

With only two albums under his belt (other musicians have certainly toured on less) Duchovny gives us a mix from both; his first album Hell or Highwater certainly being more well known amongst his fans who are here because of his music. ‘3000’ his second song into the set sees him begin to relax a little more, small stage moves begin to enter his performance. At times some come off as slightly awkward, as if he is still a little unsure of himself despite the fact he has been performing in a musical capacity for quite awhile now. Others see him lost in his own words and music.

As a vocalist he is pleasurable, there is a Leonard Cohen / Warren Zevon aspect to him, unsurprising really when he has stated that he is a big fan of Zevon. His songs at some points are rather more of the spoken word variety and it works well for him, especially in the moments when he places his head back, closes his eyes and forgets we are there. His backing band are certainly good quality as well, and while they remain in a half circle around the outer edge, supporting but never really intruding on Duchovny’s performance save for the occasional guitar solo provided by Pat or beautiful slide guitar by Tom. A cover of The Band’s ‘The Weight’ gave those in the crowd who were not completely up to speed with his musical work a chance to sing along, both Pat and Tom providing some rather impressive vocal work themselves. Duchovny reveled in the moment, a more relaxed look of joy playing across his face as he encouraged everyone to sing along.

There was the slight threat of being toppled over however as Duchovny decided to step out onto the risers side of stage, causing a mini stampede of women to hurtle towards him in the hope of brushing his hand for a few precious seconds with theirs.

With often informative little introductions to each of the tracks, we were given insights into Duchovnys thought processes, many of the songs often based around love and loss and hopes of forgiveness. ‘Roman Coin’ in particular seeming to be a track that means much to Duchovny; it’s conclusion prompting him to ask the crowd “Isn’t all love priceless and worthless?” As a few shyly answered yes, he smiled sadly and replied “I don’t need you to say yes, I know it’s true.” But this was the only truly melancholy moment, as Duchovny and co picked up the pace and dropped some particularly rocky numbers on the crowd, ‘Mo’ seeing Duchovny pretend to slow dance on stage and then look down at the crowd as if to say ‘you should be doing the same’, which indeed a few couples did.

By the time he rolled around to a particularly lovely wee number entitled ‘Let it Rain’, his t-shirt was rather drenched, prompting a few ‘Take it off’ cat calls from the crowd. “Suddenly I feel unsafe” Duchovny laughed, the audience enjoying the moment of his face lighting up with that smile many have come to know and love. With a mix of cowbell (yes Duchovny plays rather the mean cowbell), humour and more than listenable music, this evening was really quite special. Special not for the fact that it was outstanding in the form of a concert; Duchovny won’t be winning any music awards anytime soon… But special for the fact that it made you feel as if you were being gifted a part of someone’s inner thoughts and workings. We were being entrusted with something that holds a lot of weight with Duchovny, and that is something that many here will forever treasure.

Following calls for an encore the “tiny but mighty” audience as Duchovny had referred to them earlier were treated to a three song encore that included an outstanding cover of the Crowded House track ‘Don’t Dream It’s Over’ sung by the very talented keyboardist Colin Lee (whose very proud parents were standing in the audience). Having produced Duchovny’s first album there is an obvious connection between the two; the song itself seeing the room burst into colour, Duchovny taking a moment to sit on the drum riser and sip his orange juice as he took it all in.

Closing the night on ‘Positively Madison Avenue’ again from his first album and Duchovny waved goodbye, the audience genuinely applauding him, many with smiles a mile wide.

Let’s hope it’s not the last that we have seen of David Duchovny.

Were you there at the Powerstation for this classic style rock gig? Or have you seen David Duchovny perform live somewhere else before? Tell us about it in the comments below!

Setlist:

1. Every Third Thought
  2.  3000
  3.  Maybe I Can’t
  4. Stranger
  5.  The Things
  6.  The Weight [The Band cover]
  7.  When The Whistle Blows
  8.  Roman Coin
  9.  Passenger
  10.  Mo
  11.  Let It Rain
  12.  Hell Or Highwater
  13.  Half Life
  14.  Spiral [encore]
  15.  Don’t Dream It’s Over [Crowded House cover] [encore]
  16.  Positively Madison Avenue [encore]

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 11:13

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 11:14

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 11:16

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 11:20

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duchovny on Tue 20 Feb - 11:59

OMG!!!! how beautiful photos, thank you all !!!!
Duchovny
Phantom
Phantom

Number of posts : 17193
Emploi : Housewife
Your favorite David's role : Fox Mulder
Registration date : 2011-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 12:52

David Duchovny's band covers Crowded House's "Don't Dream It's Over"

David Farrier
Publicado em 20 de fev de 2018

Auckland's Powerstation, 20 February 2018.

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 14:23

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 14:27

stevenwlogan
Powerstation

Was amazing last night to see @davidduchovny live here in Auckland- really got into his music recently, and Californication is that show that got me through a rough time in my life and I go back and rewatch the whole series at least once a year. Would highly recommend this show- especially from this distance! What an evening
#auckland #nz #newzealand #davidduchovny #livemusic #californication #aquarius #xfiles @thexfilesfox #musician #liveconcert #aucklandlife

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 14:36

borachiosfish01
Powerstation

Well, certainly not someone I would have ever thought I’d go and see in concert! Date night with @ruthwynnecapstick going to see @davidduchovny last night at the Powerstation. Fabulous , charismatic, funny and just a great evening. Just goes to show, you never know what to expect 😃 #davidduchovny #powerstation #livemusic #legend #xfiles #datenight

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 14:45

somebizarremonkey
Powerstation

David Duchovny taking his new album Every Third Thought on the road

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 14:47

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 16:00

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 16:22

David Duchovny live in Auckland (photo: david farrier)

David Farrier goes to the David Duchovny show, alone

David Farrier | Contributing writer

Last night David Farrier took himself to see one of his non-musical heroes, X-Files star David Duchovny, play music. Here’s what happened.

There was a moment towards the end of David Duchovny’s concert – his first gig in New Zealand, and his first time in New Zealand – that beautifully summed up the whole night. It was during the encore: crowd clapping and yelling, Duchovny shuffled to the mic and, feigning modesty, gestured away the applause. He knew they were clapping for Fox Mulder, Hank Moody, Jake Winters and Sam Hodiak. He knew some of them were clapping for Denise Bryson.

But the thing is, people were clapping for David Duchovny too. David Duchovny and his music. With three records behind him, some people were there for the music. “Jericho!” pleaded someone in the front row, desperate to hear a song off his latest record Every Third Thought, before being overtaken by some drunk, slurred yelling.

“That must be some of that fine New Zealand wine I’ve been hearing about,” he replied in a dry, Hank Moody-esque fashion, before saying something that struck me as, well, sort of special: “I’d like to sing this song for you, but I can’t get up that high… so it’s Colin that’s going to sing this for you.”

This was a man fully aware of his musical limitations. He wasn’t some arrogant LA actor with delusions of musical grandeur – he knew he was just a dude, who was lucky enough to be playing his tunes in front of a happy, paying crowd.

And so for the next four minutes, David Duchovny had absolutely nothing to do, except to gently dance around on stage, gesturing and smiling at the audience. It was actually really beautiful, and one of the nicest concert experiences I’ve had in some time. And hey, the cover wasn’t too bad either.

I went to the concert alone; none of my friends were too keen on this particular musical experience. Duchovny’s music has been described by some as “dad music” or “dad rock”, I suppose because it’s the sort of stuff your fuddly old dad might make. But then Duchovny is a dad, so I don’t really see the problem.

And going solo to a gig can be liberating – you get to meet a lot of people.

Sian, Jam, Steve (Photo: David Farrier)

I bumped into Steve, who once flew all the way to England for one day just to meet David Tennant at a convention. He’d paid $250 for a private meet-and-greet with Duchovny before the concert. He got his favourite poster signed. He said there were about 60 people who had done the same thing, so time with Duchovny was limited. “He was really cool though,” said Steve.

I talked to 34-year-old Sian, whose husband didn’t want to come to the concert. She was there to support her friend Jam, who had been in love with Duchovny ever since Red Shoe Diaries. “He’s not terrible,” said Sian.

I chinwagged with Sarah, who had also met Duchovny earlier that day. She’d gotten him to sign a Piper Maru model her friend Dean had made. Dean wasn’t well enough to be at the concert, so was over the moon his model got signed.

A model of the Piper Maru, signed by David Duchovny (Photo: David Farrier)

And I laughed with Leigh Hart of Screaming Reels fame, who was there for the music. “It’s quite good,” he told me gruffly, before noticing the lighting guy was watching a YouTube video of some squirrels.

Leigh Hart and friends (Photo: David Farrier)

So while the concert might not have been packed out, it was full of wonderful people who were attentive, fun and kind.

I talked, chinwagged, bumped and laughed. I don’t think I’ve ever met so many nice new people on one night. “You’re a modest crowd, but a good crowd. A really good crowd. I mean that,” offered Duchovny. He was right.

At some point, I swanned over to the merchandise table, and purchased a red t-shirt and a white pillowcase. I asked how things had been selling. “Really, really well,” said the lady behind the desk. “Better than heaps of our concerts.”

the merchandise (photo: david farrier)

As I looked up at Duchovny doing his thing, it was clear he was having a great time. He knows he’s doing this thanks to the adoration he’s garnered in other facets of his life. For me, it was watching The X-Files during intermediate, high school and my terrifying first year away from home. I suppose it’s been the last few years as well, with The X-Files revival.

I guess you could say I was fan-ing out. I felt like I was soaring, being in the same room as this actor who’d made such an impact on my young mind. Fox Mulder made being a nerd at school acceptable – even sexy, somehow. Back in the 90s, that was pretty amazing.

“More cowbell!” – Someone to David Duchovny, probably (photo: david farrier)

And you know what? The music was okay, too. He’s got a tight little band around him. His keyboardist produced his last record. Except for a glorious moment of cowbell, David Duchovny didn’t play a single instrument the whole night, simply holding the crowd with his voice, his overly earnest lyrics, and a healthy dose of charm.

It was a great fucking night, and I’m so glad I went alone.

David farrier with David Farrier at David Duchovny (photo: David Farrier)

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 16:51

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 18:41

13thfloornz
Powerstation

David Duchovny gave Every Third Thought to his ‘tiny but mighty’ audience at the Powerstation in Auckland, NZ. Read about the experience in a review by The 13th Floor’s Marty Duda along with fab photos by Reuben Raj from @somebizarremonkey via the link in Bio 🎶🛸🤘🏼

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 18:43

waxinglizzicle

Up close, just wish i coulda got more personal 😏#powerstationauckland #davidduchovny #starstruck #dreamsofcalifornication

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 18:46

jade1013
Pix Queen