The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

11x05 - Ghouli

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

11x05 - Ghouli

Post by jade1013 on Wed 4 Oct - 4:58

campaignofmisinformation:
the filming site today is way under wraps… they’ve used tarps to cover all the windows of the building and security is denying anything is filming at all 👀

October 2, 2017 (3:06 pm)

October 2, 2017 (3:17 pm)

me, pretending to be on break reading a paper: what’s going on in there?

me: *gestures toward tons of white trucks and trailers*

security guard: nothing

me, still pretending not to care: oh, i thought maybe something was filming

security guard: nothing is filming. nothing is happening here.

me: 👀

October 2, 2017 (3:31 pm)

david and gillian arrived by suv and things got even more locked down, so i snapped one last quick picture before a very serious man in an orange vest followed us on foot for half a kilometer out of the area:

Last edited by jade1013 on Fri 15 Dec - 15:06; edited 1 time in total

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 111320
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11x05 - Ghouli

Post by jade1013 on Wed 4 Oct - 5:02

sunshinetoday:
The X-files set, 3 October

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Thu 5 Oct - 18:32

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Thu 5 Oct - 18:34

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 6 Oct - 7:32

scullyphile:
We did not take any photos during filming, because we have boundaries and didn’t want to get kicked out. But this is the crew setting up before filming. It’s not much to see, but I’d do it all over again (just not tonight). XFS11 filming location, baby.

Oct 6, 2017 5:42 am

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 6 Oct - 9:05

night filming at the tarp building 👽

October 5, 2017 (11:20 pm)

hearing “rolling” and “cut” yelled into the night is wild i have never been so alive]

October 6, 2017 (12:16 am)

They’ve lit the trees outside of the building. Lots of police cars in the parking lot.

October 6, 2017 (1:05 am)

There’s a space between the tarps and what looks like a hospital bed inside. Outside they’ve set up a silver car behind the trees.

October 6, 2017 (1:23 am)

There’s a Doctor in a white lab coat outside ready to film a scene. Tarp building seems to be serving as a hospital.

October 6, 2017 (2:20 am)

Gillian is here! Scully looks healthy, her hair is long and quite red. She’s rushing out of the building, putting on her coat while talking on the phone, when she bumps into a man and drops it. Everytime Gillian messes up she giggles.

October 6, 2017 (2:25 am)

Left for food, came back and David is here! In a suit 😎

October 6, 2017 (4:41 am)

Last update because we are leaving: our favorite costars are chilling together - Gillian is napping and David is sitting next to her playing with his phone. The crew were extremely nice to have let us hang out for so long! Good night Tumblr ❤

October 6, 2017 (5:26 am)

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 17 Oct - 8:38

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 17 Nov - 13:40

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 15 Dec - 15:06

The final episode in the release is episode 5, “Ghouli,” written and directed by James Wong: “When a pair of teenage girls attack one another, each believing the other to be a monster, Mulder and Scully find that their investigation could possibly lead back to their long-lost son, William.”

Den of Geek

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Thu 25 Jan - 5:02

Preview: This Is Where It All Started | Season 11 Ep. 5 | THE X-FILES

The X-Files
Publicado em 24 de jan de 2018

Catch an all-new episode of THE X-FILES on WED at 8/7c on FOX!

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Thu 25 Jan - 9:49

'Ghouli' Promotional Photos

By Roi Ollson
   On January 25, 2018

When a pair of teenage girls attack one another, each believing the other to be a monster, Mulder and Scully find that their investigation could possibly lead back to their long-lost son, William.

Penned by James Wong, "Ghouli" premieres in just under a week. The episode involves a case file which puts Mulder and Scully on the hunt for William. After all these years, could this family finally reunite? Check out the photos below.

X-Files News

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veritox on Thu 25 Jan - 21:57

Thanks!!
veritox
Working Girl
Working Girl

Number of posts : 18
Your favorite David's role : Fox Mulder
Registration date : 2017-04-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 26 Jan - 20:27

Scully & Mulder Research A Monster | Season 11 Ep. 5 | THE X-FILES

The X-Files
Enviado em 25 de jan de 2018

Scully and Mulder research a new monster and compare it to Frankenstein.

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Mon 29 Jan - 4:04

‘The X-Files’ Season 11 Spoilers: Sarah Jeffery, Madeleine Arthur To Guest Star

By Christian Saclao On 01/29/18 AT 6:31 AM

Sarah Jeffery and Madeleine Arthur have landed guest starring roles in Fox’s “The X-Files.”

Jeffery and Arthur will appear as Brianna Stapleton and Sarah Arthur, respectively, in Season 11, episode 5 of the sci-fi series. According to the synopsis for the episode, Briana and Sarah are two teenage girls who attack one another as each one of them believes that the other is a monster. Mulder (David Duchovny) and Scully (Gillian Anderson) investigate the case and realize that it could be connected to their long-lost son William.

In the trailer for the episode, Mulder, Scully and Skinner (Mitch Pileggi) go to an abandoned ship where Brianna and Sarah attack each other. But for some reason, Skinner wants Mulder and Scully to stop working on the case.

“Drop this investigation,” Skinner tells Mulder.

“This is where it all started,” Mulder replies.

“You’re wrong. This is the end of the road,” Skinner says.

Elsewhere in the promo clip, Scully seems to be dreaming of a young man in a hood who breaks into her place. Although Scully doesn’t get to see the man’s face in her dream, she is quite sure that it’s William. “It’s William, our son. He wants us to find him,” Scully tells Mulder in the trailer.

Later in the video, a young man, who appears to be William, unzips himself out of a body bag. Mulder and Scully seem to be looking for him in the hospital but Scully gets shot during the process.

Jeffery currently plays Cristina Santos on NBC’s “Shades of Blue.” Her other TV credits include Audience Network’s “Rogue,” Fox’s “Wayward Pines” and Disney Channel’s “Descendants.”

Arthur, meanwhile, is best known for her role as young Willa Warren on ABC’s “The Family.” She currently portrays the role of Fray on Syfy’s “The Magicians” and is set to appear in the midseason premiere of “Legends of Tomorrow.” Arthur also guest starred on AMC’s “The Killing” and CW’s “The Tomorrow People” and “Supernatural.”

In addition to Jeffery and Arthur, also guest starring in the next episode of “The X-Files” are William B. Davis as Cigarette Smoking Man; Miles Robbins as Jackson Van De Kamp; and Louis Ferreira as Detective Costa.

“The X-Files” Season 11, episode 5, titled “Ghouli,” airs on Wednesday, Jan. 31 at 8 p.m. on Fox.

“Shades of Blue” star Sarah Jeffery and “The Magicians” actress Madeleine Arthur will guest star in Season 11, episode 5 of Fox’s “The X-Files.” Pictured: Jeffery attends Beautycon Festival NYC 2017 - Portraits at Brooklyn Cruise Terminal on May 20, 2017 in New York City. Photo: Kris Connor/Getty Images for Beautycon

International Business Times

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 30 Jan - 8:04

A Dark Figure Is Seen Throughout Scully's Home | Season 11 Ep. 5 | THE X-FILES

The X-Files
Enviado em 25 de jan de 2018

Scully wakes up to a dark figure roaming around her home.

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 30 Jan - 8:21

The X-Files Exclusive: William Sends Scully a Message!

By Sadie Gennis | Jan 30, 2018 10:52 AM EST

This if one episode of The X-Files you won't want to miss.

Wednesday's episode will see Scully (Gillian Anderson) and Mulder (David Duchovny) investigate a case in which two teenage girls attack each other thinking they had been fighting the monster known as Ghouli. However, it quickly becomes apparent that they were drawn to this case not just because of the strange circumstances, but because of its connections to their son William.

In this exclusive sneak peek of the episode, Scully seems to receive another message from William, whom she and Mulder had to give up for adoption when he was only an infant. After waking up in the hospital, Scully sees a mysterious figure running through the corridors. She follows him into an empty hospital room where a snow globe sits illuminated on the bedside table. Picking it up, Scully wonders aloud, "Is this a message from me or am I sending a message to you?"

After Scully then experiences brief flashes from the Spartan Virus endemic, the hooded figure approaches her from behind. But before Scully can turn around and confirm whether this is, in fact, her son sending her these visions, she is interrupted.

Was this really William? And if so, what do these messages mean? Tune into The X-Files this Wednesday at 8/7c on Fox to find out!

TV Guide

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 30 Jan - 10:06

'The X-Files' Episode 5: Will Scully's Mysterious Visitor Lead to a Reunion With William? (VIDEO)

Marisa Roffman January 30, 2018 10:00 am

Shane Harvey/FOX
Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny in the 'The X-Files "Ghouli"

The X-Files is diving back into the William mystery in Wednesday’s episode, “Ghouli.” “It’s been on all our minds: What happened to their son?” executive producer James Wong said on a break from filming the hour.

The January 31 episode kicks off with two teenagers who find themselves attacked… and Scully (Gillian Anderson) is drawn into the case via a mysterious late night visitor. (Check out an exclusive clip of the scene below.) The situation spirals, as she and Mulder (David Duchovny) realize there could be a tie to their MIA son, William.

“In the last event series, we touched on that; my episode touched on that through their fantasy: what they thought their lives would be like with their child,” points out Wong, who wrote/directed this week’s installment. “So I wanted to take the next step. I love the idea of the emotional qualities of that story: a son missing from your life for his whole life, really. But…[now] he could be in danger.” And things will get intense: “Scully goes through the wringer.”

For Wong, who has been a steady presence on American Horror Story (among other projects) after his time on X-Files, “Ghouli” was only the second time he'd revisited these characters in the past two decades. (He penned 15 episodes during the show’s original run.) “It’s interesting, because I was there in the beginning, and then there was a whole chunk I missed; I wasn’t really involved as the show grew older,” he notes. “For me, their characters are formed in the beginning of the show. So when we talked about these new series, we had to talk a lot to [executive producers] Chris [Carter] and Glen [Morgan] to discuss what their path would be. They obviously had a passion for what they did, which is why they come back to it.”

“It’s a tragedy, in a way, for Mulder,” he continues. “He’s stuck in this place. He hasn’t moved forward in his career really, but he’s completely concentrating on this one thing. I feel like, even though he’s grown older, he’s still obsessed by the same obsessions. And I think Scully is a great partner for him, because I think she’s in love with him that way. She had a different career as a doctor, but she came back, because this is so important to him—she’s coming back to be there for him.”

Throughout the years, Wong has directed a number of features—including two Final Destination films—and episodes of television. However, with directing X-Files, “it’s a different kind of storytelling,” he says. “The basic thing you have is David and Gillian. They’re foundational. When you think about the show, it’s really about telling the story through their eyes. Because of that, it dictates how things are shot and how it feels. These two, these pillars, set you in the right direction.”

The writer/director has his own appreciation of getting to return to the series (again) after it playing such a pivotal role in his career. “I feel like I’m back home,” he concludes. “It’s a show that really changed my career. And it’s a show I loved. That’s why I wanted to be a part of it [again]. Continuing after 25 years is really a testament to the creative spark Chris has. That this thing, it didn’t die. Lots of things have. Lots of shows… you can’t go back home. But with this one, the world is messed up in its own way, and messed up in ways you can explore on The X-Files.”

Check out an exclusive scene from “Ghouli”:

The X-Files, Wednesdays, 8/7c, Fox

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 30 Jan - 16:12

The X-Files season 11 episode 5 preview: Ghouli

by Sarah Crocker
1 hour ago
Follow @superduperspock

The latest episode of The X-Files, “Ghouli,” airs this Wednesday. What does Mulder and Scully’s son have to do with two monstrous teenage girls?

Being a teenager is a strange time for most people. It’s not just that your body is changing — so is your brain. Your perceptions of yourself, of the people and the world around you are all changing. Sometimes, it may feel like everything’s turned in an instant. What you thought was certain and true can crumble at the lightest touch.

The newly hatched inner workings of your brain sometimes frighten and confuse the adults around you. You, certainly, may not understand exactly what’s happening inside. It’s enough to make anyone think they’re utterly strange.

Now, imagine all of that everyday drama, but you are also a teenager in the world of The X-Files. You are changing, and the people around you are, but it’s not just a matter of perception. You might really be an alien, to start.

Then again, maybe your friend really is a monster. Not just a monster in the emotional sense, but one with fur, or sharp teeth, or supernatural powers. The matter of who you’re dating or whether or not you’ll pass your driver’s test must seem tiny in comparison.

It’s not clear how much this sense of teenage angst will be in the forefront of “Ghouli,” the fifth episode of The X-Files’ 11th season. According to the episode synopsis, two teenage girls attack one another, each believing that their opponent is a monster. Somehow, this all leads back to William.

That’s William Scully, long-lost son of Dana Scully and (maybe) Fox Mulder. William also may or may not have alien and/or government conspiracist DNA. Even if he doesn’t, his birth was somewhat miraculous. After an alien abduction and subsequent brush with cancer, Scully believed that she was infertile. The arrival of baby William, however, proved to be an exception.

We last saw William clearly as an infant headed off to adoptive parents, his potential superhuman identity concealed. We can hope that he’s got a good relationship with them, at the very least.

We’ve since seen a very blurry young man via Scully’s visions, who we can reasonably assume is William. Will we finally get a chance to see him without a filter over the camera lens? Will more be revealed about his genetic makeup?

Moreover, what’s up with the apparent psychic link between William and his mother? We saw bits of this on the first episode of season 11, “My Struggle III”. Will there be more of this in “Ghouli”? How, exactly, this ties in with two teenage girls suffering a psychotic delusion (or not) remains to be seen.

“Ghouli” airs Wednesday on FOX, at 8:00 p.m. ET.

Culturess

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 31 Jan - 11:14

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 31 Jan - 14:33

Source: notapenlight

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 31 Jan - 18:02

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 31 Jan - 18:05

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 31 Jan - 18:27

The X-Files season 11 episode 5 review: Who is Jackson Van De Kamp?

The X-Files, The X-Files season 11
February 1, 2018

It shouldn’t come as all that great of a shock that The X-Files season 11 episode 5 started off with a great deal of terror — how else do you describe a battle between a monster and a young girl that ended in such a horrifying way? There were two girls at the scene, but the good news is that they’ll survive.

After the opening attack sequence, the focus shifted quickly over to Mulder and Scully, with the latter still suffering from some serious visions. When the two parties arrived at the scene of the crime, the authorities were chalking it up to a stabbing attack. This, in turn, led to more questions. Why did these two stab each other? Did they have a history that wasn’t necessarily clear?

Mulder and Scully eventually made it to the hospital to speak with the victims, who felt as though they were both victim to a maze — they were in a house that wasn’t there, wandering around in a dream-like state. They were both apparently dating the same guy named Jackson Van De Kamp (which was certainly odd), and then things became even odder when they arrived at the house in the girls’ respective visions — it was also the setting of the dreams that Scully had been having.

Immediately after this, the thought entered our mind: Have we met William? We certainly hoped not, given that this kid had apparently murdered his parents before committing suicide.

The moment that Scully arrived to pay William a visit at the morgue, she made it pretty clear afterward that she, also, was buying into this theory. Gillian Anderson delivered in turn one of her most heartbreaking monologues ever as she tried her best to explained to the deceased young man why she did what she did.

The plot thickened even more when Scully realizes that the dreams were not going away … and that the body completely disappeared. Is William walking among the living again?

The end of the project

It was Walter Skinner who gave Mulder the information about the research project that was shut down years ago — the one that ended up spawning Jackson Van De Camp. This was the first that Mulder learned that the boy was a direct product of this project.

Scully, meanwhile, tried to do everything that she could in order to get a better understanding as to who Jackson was, including if he was really someone capable of murder as some of the rumors out there suggested. When she reconvened with Mulder, the two were able to work together in order to conjure up a better sense of understanding as to what happened with Jackson, and where he actually was. He wasn’t gone at all, mostly because he was able to manipulate perception. He made his two “girlfriends” believe in the opening that he was a monster, which led to the two attacking each other. Meanwhile, he projected to Mulder, Scully, and others that he was dead. He spelled out some of it to one of the girlfriends when he went to visit them in the hospital. Who would’ve thought that William was basically Dean from Bachelor in Paradise this past summer?

The confrontation

It was only a matter of time before Mulder and Scully figured this out and it led to one of the craziest confrontations of the entire season. This was one that led to William using his projections again for the sake of self-preservation, creating more monsters out of agents in order to convince them to shoot each other.

You knew that there were only two people who could stop him — at least in theory. They eventually came close to discovering him but it just didn’t happen … or did it? Scully’s visitor at the end, at least to us, was SO obviously William that we’re appalled that Scully didn’t realize it. He had a conversation with him without knowing it. Then, it was over.

CarterMatt Verdict

The X-Files season 11 episode 5 was a story of many things, including of pain, longing, and fear. It also brought us a version of William that was exciting, if a bit unexpected. Through these past two episodes, we’re at least thrilled to say that The X-Files is back to being the great show that it once was.

What did you think about The X-Files season 11 episode 5 overall? Share some of your thoughts in the comments! Also, be sure to like CarterMatt on Facebook in the event you are interested in some additional news regarding the series. (Photo: Fox.)

CarterMatt

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 31 Jan - 19:20

‘The X-Files’ Turns Personal For Mulder And Scully In ‘Ghouli’

Alan Sepinwall 01.31.18

Fox

A quick review of tonight’s The X-Files coming up just as soon as Fox doesn’t exist at the coffee shop…

If last week’s Darin Morgan stunner made a convincing argument that the time for Fox Mulder and this TV show has passed, then “Ghouli” puts forth the best argument available for why Mulder and Scully’s story still has dramatic value all of these years later: their son, William.

Tonally, the episode’s all over the map, though at least some of that seems to be on purpose, as James Wong tries to lure us into thinking we’re just watching a formulaic Monster of the Week story until he hits us with the realization that the Monster is in fact William (or, as he’s been raised to be called, Jackson Van De Camp). From there, the hour still keeps peeking over into odd humor and unwelcome reminders of the new conspiracy plot with the scenes pairing Skinner with the Smoking Man, yet none of that matters, because “Ghouli” finally puts Mulder and (especially) Scully’s sense of loss about the son they never got to raise front and center. Particularly remarkable is the scene in the morgue where Scully gives what she think is Jackson’s corpse the speech she’d give to him if he was still alive — which he eventually turns out to be — before sobbing at how inadequate it is.

At times during the original run’s final two seasons and the first year of the revival, Gillian Anderson’s sheer commitment to the material was the only thing holding the whole thing together. Here, she goes beyond that, finding a rawness and vulnerability the old show only occasionally let her explore, and which she can handle even better now than she could then, because she’s grown as a performer in the years since the series first ended. Scully and Mulder’s shared joy in the final scene when they realized the man at the gas station was really Jackson using his illusion-casting powers made a lovely bookend to the earlier moment of grief, effective in large part because of how understated it was. There’s still a long way to go between biological parents and child, but there’s now an endgame I care about with this season.

The problem, of course, is that William ties into this terrible mythology, and particularly to the “My Struggle III” revelation that he’s not Mulder’s son at all, but the Smoking Man’s. At this point, there’s no redeeming the new mythology as an actual story, but if Carter has a “Cancer Man was wrong” (or lying) twist up ahead, well… it won’t fix everything, or excuse the justifiable anger the previous twist generated, but it’ll at least lean into the strongest ongoing part of this final run.

What did everybody else think?

UPROXX

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 31 Jan - 19:32

'The X-Files' postmortem: Inside William's return

Ethan Alter
Senior Writer, Yahoo Entertainment
Yahoo TV1 February 2018

Gillian Anderson as Dana Scully in The X-Files. (Photo: Robert Falconer/Fox)

Warning: This post contains spoilers for the “Ghouli” episode of The X-Files.

The DNA doesn’t lie, X-Files fans. After years apart, Dana Scully and Fox Mulder have finally met their teenage son, William, currently going under the name Jackson Van De Kamp (played by Miles Robbins, son of Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins). “It’s William,” confirms James Wong, the longtime X-Files executive producer who wrote and directed this week’s episode, “Ghouli.” “What happens to him next is still a mystery, but this is William.”

You’ll forgive us for being a little skeptical; after all, William sightings have been few and far between since his birth back in the show’s eighth season, particularly after his mother gave him up for adoption out of fear for his safety. As it turns out, those fears were well-founded: A product of alien and human DNA, Jackson belongs to a group of terrestrial/extraterrestrial hybrids that a faction of the U.S. government is eager to stamp out. In the process of investigating a monster sighting — a spider-monster named Ghouli that Jackson created using his psychological powers as a means to play an ill-advised prank on his two girlfriends — Mulder and Scully inadvertently lead a pair of assassins right to his door, where the killers proceed to execute Mr. and Mrs. Van De Kamp, while the 17-year-old takes his own life.

Or does he? Playing dead through an emotional monologue delivered by a grieving Scully, Jackson then rises again with the intention of getting the heck out of Dodge. But before he can go on the lam, he’s got to survive one last attempt on his life, which he just barely escapes with the aid of his biological parents and his own abilities. In the interim, Mulder confirms that “Jackson = William” via a DNA test that he shares with Skinner, though pointedly not Scully.

Fortunately, William takes it upon himself to check in with Mom, paying her one last visit — albeit in the guise of a different identity — at a gas station on his way to parts unknown. But William won’t be gone for long! Chris Carter told us at the beginning of the season that the teen will be front and center in the finale. “It’s funny, as the product of Mulder and Scully, you think of William as a kind of golden child who needs to be protected,” Carter said. “But I always saw him as a much more troubled and complicated kid.”

We spoke with Wong about what makes William so complicated and how he is — and isn’t — like his parents.

The X-Files often alternates between “myth arc” episodes and monster-of-the-week outings. With “Ghouli” you got to do a little of both.
Yeah, I was really excited about that. I’m really into monsters, and I liked the opportunity to create one.

The Ghouli definitely has elements of a Slender Man-like internet demon. Was that your inspiration?
Absolutely. We actually have a website called Ghouli.net that we just launched and has the same vibe as the Slender Man with stories and pictures and sightings. People can submit their own Ghouli stories. We’ll see if it flies, but I’m really excited about it. We had a great person who was part of The X-Files from way back, Julie Ng, and she worked on embedding clues and Easter egg stuff in the site.

You mentioned that you’re a monster fan; how did you create the Ghouli’s look?
I worked very closely with our creature creator in Vancouver. I loved the idea of the Ghouli having these multiple limbs; he had eight limbs and they move around in crazy ways all over the place, so he’s kind of like an arachnid. I definitely didn’t want it to feel like a guy in a suit.

The episode also deals with sleep paralysis, which has become increasingly popularized in movies and news reports. Have you experienced it yourself?
Yeah. I was shooting a movie in Mexico, and it happened to me! I thought it was a ghost thing. I was in bed and had this sense that someone was in the room, and then this heavy feeling of someone pressing against my body so I couldn’t move. Then I had this hourlong experience where I was being chased and ended up back in bed, which is what happens to Scully in this episode. I was interested in using it as a launching point, because it had happened to me and it was terrifying.

Anderson and David Duchovny in The X-Files. (Photo: Shane Harvey/Fox)

Did Gillian Anderson have a sleep paralysis experience to draw on as well?
I don’t think she had, because I had to explain to her what was happening. [Laughs] She’s kind of a skeptic in real life, I think.

The scene where Scully is alone with William’s corpse and apologizes to him for giving him up for adoption is one of the most emotional speeches Gillian has had in the history of the show. How long did that take to write?
It wasn’t that many drafts, to be honest with you. I’d been thinking about it for a long time, what a parent would say to a dead child. Maybe I’m morbid, but it came to me naturally! The thing that Gillian wanted to bring out is that she’s not sure this is William, but she can’t help revealing what she really feels as she talks to the corpse, and the weight of the failure that still lies on her when push came to shove. The other thing that’s interesting is that when William’s body disappears, Gillian wanted to emphasize that Scully and Mulder have different reactions. For Scully, it’s a moment of optimism, and for Mulder it’s just another confirmation of the conspiracy he sees happening is still going on.

How many takes did you do of the monologue?
I wanted to do it as quickly as we could, so I got extra cameras for different angles so we wouldn’t have to do it over and over again. We stacked the cameras up and did it in three takes. Gillian had a distinct idea of how she wanted to do it, so it was just a case of modulation. There were takes that were very emotional and ones that were a bit less. We wanted to have choices in the editing room.

It must have been exciting for you to write the first episode where William is a speaking character.
I’ve been interested in the whole William story for a long time. Even in my Season 10 episode, “Founder’s Mutation,” I dealt with the idea of raising a kid, and this episode is the next step to that. To me, William is the most important thing about The X-Files in terms of Mulder and Scully’s personal relationship. It’s the emotional crux of the show, and I’m really into dealing with it.

How did you choose Miles Robbins for such a pivotal role?
We read a lot of people, and he was in New York and went on tape. He has a quality to him that embodies both Mulder and Scully. He has a coolness that comes from Mulder, and you’ll see the gamut of his emotionality when he returns at the end of the season.

It’s interesting that he’s a bit of a lothario in this episode; how did you want him to be both like, and unlike, his parents?
The thing that’s interesting with William is that he’s a person with powers. So how does he deal with that? What does he use them for? Even though he made a mistake with the prank he pulls on his girlfriends, I think it shows that he’s not a cowering type. He’s willing to risk his own life by going to the hospital to say goodbye to his girlfriends, and then never gives up and says “I’m outmatched” when the agents come after him. I think those qualities come from both Mulder and Scully. And then you have the added thing of him having superpowers! I think it’s going to be pretty interesting to see where he goes next.

Duchovny in the Terminator 2 inspired action sequence in The X-Files. (Photo: Shane Harve/Fox)

The sequence in the hospital where William is pursued by those agents hunting him reminded me a lot of the psychiatric ward scene from Terminator 2. Is it intended as an homage?
Absolutely! I have a friend who was one of the stunt guys in that [T2] sequence, so I’ve always admired that, and took a little license there.

Gillian Anderson has said she’s done with the series after this season. Are you also looking at this as a farewell year?
The X-Files is a very important show for me personally; it helped define my career, and David and Gillian are such an iconic part of TV history, really. So it’s hard to imagine something without both of them in it, but I don’t know! All I can say is that I’m grateful and happy to have been given the opportunity to do this season. There’s another episode I directed, “Nothing Lasts Forever,” that’s going to air eighth or ninth. I really love it, and it has a very different vibe.

What can you tease about that episode?
I’ve been working on American Horror Story, and it pays homage to that show, while also connecting with Mulder and Scully’s personal story. It’s a really creepy, weird episode, and I’m really happy with it. I can’t wait for people to see it.

The X-Files airs Wednesdays at 8 p.m. on Fox.

Yahoo News

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next