The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

11x04 - The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

11x04 - The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat

Post by jade1013 on Mon 18 Sep - 11:10

Last edited by jade1013 on Fri 15 Dec - 15:04; edited 1 time in total

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 113884
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

11x04

Post by jade1013 on Wed 20 Sep - 15:20

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11x04 - The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat

Post by jade1013 on Fri 8 Dec - 9:24

Courtesy of Fox

The X-Files Plots Another Darin Morgan Classic — 2018 FIRST LOOK

By Michael Ausiello / December 8 2017, 9:00 AM PST

Bold prediction: One of the 10 new X-Files episodes coming our way in 2018 will be completely, utterly bananas.

The franchise’s most out-there auteur, Darin Morgan, is poised to follow up 2015’s inspired “Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster” with another undoubtedly surreal installment, this one featuring a guest turn by Veep‘s Brian Huskey. Little is known about the outing, although David Duchovny recently hinted to TVLine that Morgan’s disdain for his alter ego remains very much in tact.

“What I personally love in [Darin’s episodes] is that he hates Mulder,” the actor says with a laugh. “He’s always trying to make Mulder an imbecile and the butt of every joke.”

And as much as he relishes the chance to play the quasi-victim, Duchovny admits it represents something of an acting challenge. “It’s very difficult to figure out how to play Mulder in those episodes because he’s such an ass, and I feel pressure to find that place where I can service how funny it is and still keep Mulder Mulder. It’s a bit of a pressure cooker for me because I love Darin and I want his episodes to have integrity. I don’t want it to just be this goofy thing like, ‘Oh, we’re not The X-Files this week. We’re winking. It’s not really Mulder.’ I want it to be more than that.”

Series creator Chris Carter recently described Morgan’s latest as “original, smart, funny… everything you expect” from the left-of-center writer-director. He also teased that the episode features “a big link to previous X-Files episodes.”

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 15 Dec - 15:04

Episode 4, “The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat,” as you might be able to guess is from writer/director Darin Morgan. The episode explores “the idea of The Mandela Effect, in which large groups of people remember an alternate history, Mulder and Scully find out how the X-Files themselves may really have originated.” Comedian Brian Huskey guest stars.

Den of Geek

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 2 Jan - 20:10

Promo Photos from "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat"

By Roi Ollson & Keva Andersen
On January 02, 2018

Darin Morgan is always a fan favorite, and now we've got a sneak peek at his latest episode, "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat". Check out the photos below.

Exploring the idea of The Mandela Effect, in which large groups of people remember an alternate history, Mulder and Scully find out how the X-Files themselves may really have originated. Brian Huskey guest stars as "Reggie Something."

X-Files News

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 10 Jan - 4:38

Darin Morgan's 'X-Files' Season 11 Episode Will Be A Throwback To Classic Mulder & Scully, According To Its Stars

Shane Harvey/FOX

By Olivia Truffaut-Wong
37 min ago

X-Files episodes tend to fall into one of two categories: mythology or monster. And when producer Darin Morgan is writing and/or directing the episode, you can bet it's going to be a Monster. Darin Morgan's X-Files Season 11 episode will be the perfect throwback for fans, complete with all the heart and humor fans have come to expect from a Morgan episode, as Mitch Pileggi (aka Walter Skinner), David Duchovny (Fox Mulder) and creator Chris Carter told Bustle and other press during roundtable interviews at New York City Comic-Con (NYCC).

Fans hoping to see The X-Files return to its original science-fiction charm are in luck. Morgan, a writer on the show since 1994 and credited with penning some of the most iconic and memorable X-Files (film editor: Eleanor Infante, 3 episodes) episodes including "Humbug" and "War of the Coprophages," is back once more with a brand new episode titled "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat," scheduled to air on Jan. 24. And, according to Pileggi, it's the perfect throwback for fans. "I was reading [a script] going, this is, you know, this is how the show became what it is. ...There's some real good nuggets. Especially in Darin's episode," the actor told reporters at NYCC. Pileggi, who is somewhat of a fan himself, didn't reveal much about Morgan's episode, but he did say that many episodes of this new season harkened back to the tone of the original. "I was talking to David [Duchovny] about this. We were talking about one of the scripts and I was like, 'This is vintage Mulder and Scully. This is like classic, this is a throwback, this is what made fans fall in love with the show," he said.

"The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat" will be the fourth episode in Season 11, and will explore The Mandela Effect according to the official description on IMDB. The entire description (note the absence of a monster) reads,

"Exploring the idea of The Mandela Effect, in which large groups of people remember an alternate history, Mulder and Scully find how the X-Files themselves may really have originated."

The episode, which also credits Morgan as director, promises the same kind of humor as his Season 10 episode, the Monster of the Week "Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster." It's the dark, dry humor fans have come to love about Morgan and The X-Files. "[Fans] wait for those comedies now. It's different," admitted creator and showrunner Carter at NYCC. It's a stark difference from when Morgan wrote "Humbug," his first episode in Season 3. Carter remembers having to screen the episode for test audiences. Of course, "Humbug" made it to air, and, just like that, transformed the range of the show for years to come. "It worked and it laid the foundation for lots of tonal shifts in the show," Carter said. "The show isn't just any one thing. It's not just a scary science fiction show. It can be many things, and I think we owe a lot to Darin Morgan for that."

Another way Morgan shifted the tone: Mulder, at least according to Duchovny. "I kind of love his episodes just because he really hates my character more than anything," Duchovny told the roundtable at NYCC. "And he makes my character an ass and it's interesting to try to play Mulder... to keep the character believable within the crap that Darin Morgan likes to sling at him." The actor added that he loves the challenge, and made sure to clarify that he meant everything with the utmost respect. "I think Darin's truly one of the best writers I've ever had the pleasure of working with," he said.

After the controversial X-Files Season 11 season premiere, fans will probably be looking forward to hating on Mulder in Morgan's "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat" — at least just a little bit.

Additional reporting by Sage Young.

Bustle

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Thu 18 Jan - 6:18

The X-Files: "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat" (Promo Spot)

The X-Files Forever
Publicado em 17 de jan de 2018

Promotional spot for the eleventh season episode "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat".

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Thu 18 Jan - 8:24

Mulder Learns the Truth About Everything in The X-Files 11.04 Promo

Spencer Perry
Jan 18, 2018

FOX has released the first promo for next week’s episode of The X-Files which promises that Fox Mulder, after all these years, will finally learn the truth about EVERYTHING. Check it out in the player below.

Set to air Wednesday, January 24, the episode is title “The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat” and is described as follows:

“Exploring the idea of The Mandela Effect, in which large groups of people remember an alternate history, Mulder and Scully learn how The X-Files themselves may have originated.”

Darin Morgan, who penned fan-favorite episodes “Jose Chung’s From Outer Space” and “Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repose,” has written and directed the episode.

The X-Files features the return of David Duchovny as Fox Mulder, Gillian Anderson as Dana Scully, and Mitch Pileggi as Walter Skinner. The series originally premiered in September 1993. Over the course of its nine-season run, the influential series went from breakout sci-fi favorite to massive global hit, and became one of the most successful television dramas of all time. The show, which earned 16 Emmy Awards, five Golden Globes and a Peabody Award, follows FBI special agents Scully and Mulder, as they investigate unexplained cases – “X-Files” – for which the only answers involve paranormal phenomena.

Produced by 20th Century Fox Television and Ten Thirteen Productions, The X-Files is created and executive-produced by Chris Carter.

Superherohype.com

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamy on Sat 20 Jan - 10:29

Seems like it's going to be a humorous episode.
dreamy
Things We Lost In The Fire
Things We Lost In The Fire

Number of posts : 4419

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Mon 22 Jan - 11:40

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Mon 22 Jan - 14:38

Scully Has A Secret Memory | Season 11 Ep. 4 | THE X-FILES

The X-Files
Enviado em 18 de jan de 2018

Scully is stumped by a memory she has that nobody else can remember.

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Mon 22 Jan - 16:06

'The X-Files' Episode 4: Mulder and Scully Plan Date Night—With a Twist (VIDEO)

Marisa Roffman January 22, 2018 5:00 pm

Shane Harvey/FOX
Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny in the "The Lost Art Of Forehead Sweat"

Things are askew in this week's episode of The X-Files... even more so than usual.

In "The Lost Art Of Forehead Sweat," Mulder (David Duchovny) and Scully (Gillian Anderson) find themselves wrapped up in a case that has ties to the Mandela Effect—the idea that a large group of people has alternate, slightly skewed memories—and it's affecting their personal and professional lives.

The hour, penned by X-Files vet Darin Morgan, is delightfully weird. (Duchovny recently called his episodes "a wonderful challenge.") In an exclusive clip below, Scully tells Mulder about her childhood love of Goop-O A-B-C (a similar dessert to Jello 1-2-3) and her decades-long search for it. That came to an end when Reggie Something (Brian Huskey) handed her a box.

But Scully isn't the only one Reggie had insight into—he knew about a Twilight Zone memory of Mulder's, which could also potentially be linked to the Mandela Effect.

Mulder has a solution to get them answers: a meet-up with the mystery man (using his taped-X-in-the-window signal). "But that's your secret rendezvous signal," Scully points out. "I don't want to intrude."

"He clearly wants you involved, Scully," Mulder replies. "Come on: it'll be like a date."

Who needs dinner by candlelight? Check out the exclusive clip below:

The X-Files, Wednesdays, 8/7c, Fox

TVInsider

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 23 Jan - 9:32

The X-Files Exclusive: Did Mulder Have an X-Files Partner Before Scully?

By Sadie Gennis | Jan 23, 2018 11:21 AM EST

In this week's X-Files, Mulder (David Duchovny) stumbles upon a conspiracy that is even too absurd for him to believe.

In this exclusive sneak peek of Wednesday's episode, Mulder is confronted by a stranger (Brian Huskey) in a parking garage who acts as though he's very familiar with the FBI agent. In fact, according to this man, he and Mulder used to work X-Files cases together back in the day!

But oddly enough, Mulder has zero idea who this sweaty stranger could be. The stranger explains this apparent bout of amnesia is the result of the exact conspiracy he came to discuss with Mulder: the Mandela Effect.

As anyone who followed the Shazam-Kazaam conspiracy knows, the Mandela Effect is when large groups of people remember an alternate history. So could this stranger be telling the truth? Was he really Mulder's old X-Files partner back in the day?

You'll have to wait until the episode, written and directed by X-Files legend Darin Morgan, airs Wednesday at 8/7c on Fox to find out.

TV Guide

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 23 Jan - 13:58

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 23 Jan - 14:20

Scully Meets With The Stranger | Season 11 Ep. 4 | THE X-FILES

The X-Files
Enviado em 18 de jan de 2018

The stranger meets with Scully.

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 23 Jan - 14:26

'X-Files' Writer Darin Morgan on How Trump Inspired 'The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat'

Marisa Roffman January 23, 2018 5:00 pm

Shane Harvey/FOX
(L-R): David Duchovny, guest star Brian Huskey and Gillian Anderson in the "The Lost Art Of Forehead Sweat" episode of The X-Files

The X-Files vet Darin Morgan—the man behind some of the show’s wildest (and weirdest) installments—is back with a new story to tell with Wednesday’s new episode, “The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat.”

Morgan’s last episode, Season 10’s “Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster,” originated as a script to a prior series that he updated and altered to fit The X-Files. With “Lost Art,” the scribe crafted the tale from scratch—using an unlikely inspiration.

“This one, to be honest, was a reaction to Trump becoming president,” Morgan says. “That was the starting point. I was saying, 'What story can I come up with to deal with my feelings on that?' And somewhere along those lines, I stumbled across the Mandela Effect online.”

“They seemed to work; it’s disturbing those work together,” he continues. “The combination of those two things, they had an element of forgetting or lying.”

The Mandela Effect hits close to home, as the mysterious Reggie Something (Brian Huskey) approaches both Mulder (David Duchovny) and Scully (Gillian Anderson), claiming to have insight into them. And when the trio get together, things are, well, complicated. “Mulder and Reggie would insult each other, and Scully would be the person in the middle calming them down,” Morgan previews.

David Duchovny in the "The Lost Art Of Forehead Sweat" episode of THE X-FILES

With this episode potentially being his X-Files swan song, Morgan (who won an Emmy for his 1995 hour “Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repose”) acknowledges his time on the show has been unique. “To me, personally, I got the opportunity to tell a handful of stories I’m really happy with and proud of,” he says. “I think a lot of them hold up.”

Morgan also points out that being able to have episodes that are distinctly in his own tone is also a rarity. “Working on this show allows you to have a voice,” he says. “My episodes, people can distinguish from other episodes. I got a chance to be on a show—participate and be a part of a show—but also have my own voice and tell stories I like. And not every show lets you do that.”

“To me, personally, that’s what I’m very happy about,” he continues. “That was my experience with ‘Were-Monster’—looking back on [my time with] the show and what it means to me; the same thoughts I had, I gave to Mulder. Questioning what I’m doing, but ultimately going, this is a great experience. That’s how I feel about the show.”

TVInsider

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 23 Jan - 14:30

The X-Files season 11 episode 4 preview: The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat

by Sarah Crocker
38 minutes ago
Follow @superduperspock

The latest episode of The X-Files airs this Wednesday. Will “The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat” be the next very strange, very comedic episode?

Generally speaking, there are two flavors of The X-Files: the serious, interconnected “mytharc”, and the standalone “monster of the week” episodes. Both, when done well, can be equally satisfying. When they go off the rails, however, it’s often due to different reasons.

Mythology-focused tales can be mysterious and satisfyingly creepy, but they are also prone to being bogged down by their own history. After a certain point in the seasons, you start to think you need a cheat sheet detailing all of the characters and conspiracies involved.

Standalone episodes face their own particular brand of peril. While their lonesome nature can free writers and directors up to play with the concept, it can also be isolating. Moreover, it can sometimes feel like a different show entirely. The Scully and Mulder of alien-lousy “Little Green Men” are markedly different from the duo found in “Bad Blood” or “Small Potatoes”.

Beyond those broad distinctions, however, are the many, many ways an episode can go. Now I’m not here to take you on an ultra-nerdy breakdown of every type of X-Files tale. Thankfully, this gives me an opportunity to talk about one of my favorite types — the self-aware comedy.

For some fans, this is the antithesis of The X-Files. They came here for aliens and government conspiracies, and just grit their teeth through the goofy episodes where Mulder and Scully fight a giant fungus.

That’s fine, but some of the best episodes in the series skillfully mix self-referential jokes, scares, and a surprising wistfulness. Take ”Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repose,” in which the agents track a killer and get help from the titular reluctant life insurance salesman/psychic (played by Peter Boyle). It’s creepy, thanks to the killer.

Sad humor — that works

However, it’s also darkly funny and sad, as when a laconic, haunted Bruckman describes a family man’s looming death in order to sell him a policy. He doesn’t make a sale, by the way. He later warns Mulder about the dangers of auto-erotic asphyxiation, though he eerily tells Scully that she will never die. Even when he confronts the killer, Bruckman is tersely resigned.

What’s the common thread in many of these episodes? It’s Darin Morgan. In fact, he won an Emmy for writing the teleplay of “Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repose.” Peter Boyle also won an Emmy for his pitch-perfect performance.

So, what are we to expect from this latest episode? With a preview like that above, “The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat” looks firmly goofy. There are plenty of strange costumes in the previews, for one. This includes one where Mulder looks like he’s really into The Swamp Thing cosplay.

It even looks like we’ll get a call back to “Small Potatoes.” That’s the 20th episode of season 4, where a go-nowhere, shapeshifting janitor with a tail (played by Darin Morgan, no less) tries to take over Mulder’s life. But how did we get there?

Summaries mention a group of people experiencing the perception-warping “Mandela effect“, but it’s not clear how Mulder and Scully will interact with this. And what does it all have to do with the X-Files themselves?

It’s hard to tell just how self-aware this episode will be, however. Should we expect references to The X-Files itself, or will the story contain itself within a fictional universe? Will there be a tinge of sadness or wistfulness, as in “Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repose”? Or will this entry draw on the smart silliness of “Jose Chung’s From Outer Space”? We’ll have to tune in to find out.

“The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat” airs Wednesday on FOX, at 8:00 p.m. ET.

Culturess

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 23 Jan - 14:54

The X-Files: Watch Mulder Enjoy His First Twilight Zone Episode

We have two exclusive clips from the next episode of The X-Files.

Chris Longo
Jan 23, 2018

How can someone forget watching their first episode of The Twilight Zone? Especially when that person seems to have been living in his own version of it for the last 25 years? Those are the questions Fox Mulder will have to grapple with when The X-Files season 11 episode 4 airs on Wednesday at 8:00 p.m. on Fox.

The network sent us two clips from the episode, written and directed by Darin Morgan. As with all of the episodes penned by Morgan, this one has a humorous slant to it and some memorable lines from David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, and guest star Brian Huskey.

In the first clip, Huskey's character, Reggie Something, sets up the main issue of the episode. Are forces using "The Mandela Effect" to manipulate people's memories.

In the next clip, Mulder appears to be a victim of "The Mandela Effect," leading Scully to question his memory of Rod Serling's iconic series.

Den of Geek US

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 24 Jan - 9:39

The X-Files Takes on Fake News With One Its Funniest & Most Bizarre Episodes Yet

by Chris Harnick | Wed., Jan. 24, 2018 8:45 AM

Fox

The X-Files is going absurdly funny, again, and taking on "fake news."

In "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat," an episode written and directed by Darin Morgan, Mulder (David Duchovny) and Scully (Gillian Anderson) explore The Mandela Effect.

The Mandela Effect is when large groups of people remember an alternate history. In The X-Files' case, this involves guest star Brian Huskey (as Reggie Something) and the duo exploring the history of their investigations. It's a wonderfully bizarre tale from the man who brought you last season's "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster" and classic episodes such as "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" and "Jose Chung's ‘From Outer Space.'"

The episode features Anderson's Scully saying the phrase "leprechaun taint" and the Shaquille O'Neal flick Kazaam gets referenced many times.

When asked what anticipation or reaction Duchovny has when he gets a Darin Morgan script, the actor joked, "Well, usually, I think, ‘Oh, my God.  I've got to spend time with Darin now?' which is always nice. No."

"Darin has his own voice. A lot of the writers on our show have particular voices you allude to, and Darin's is very particular. And I find it challenging because I feel like he really, kind of, has it in for my character, and I feel that navigating his episodes are a wonderful challenge because of that," Duchovny said at the 2018 TCA winter press tour. "And I don't say that in any kind of passive aggressive way. I really say it just in a thankful way, that it's really a challenge as an actor to do that within the show that he's subverting. So I'm always excited."

Fans should be excited too. The episode is a total trip, with laugh out loud funny moments and impressive retconning of classic X-Files moments.

You're going to want to watch The X-Files' "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat," Wednesday, Jan. 24 at 8 p.m. on Fox.

E! Online

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 24 Jan - 10:24

The (Possibly Only) Good Episode of the New X-Files Is On Tonight

by Erik Henriksen • Jan 24, 2018 at 9:29 am

I love The X-Files more than I love most of my family members, and The X-Files breaks my goddamn heart.

It's always been a hit-or-miss show, with brilliant episodes sitting right next to terrible ones, and its recent revival—with six episodes in 2016, and a 10-episode limited series that's currently airing—has only exacerbated its frustrating dichotomy. In 2016, there was exactly one good episode ("Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster"), and so far, this season's episodes have, somehow, been even worse. As fellow my X-phile Ciara Dolan wrote a few weeks ago in the Mercury, this season "verges on nonsense" and, particularly in the thuddingly stupid episodes written by series creator Chris Carter, is best described "soapy and incoherent."

HOWEVER.

As was the case in 2016, apparently we're getting at least one excellent episode to balance out the execrable ones. Tonight's episode—"The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat"—is GREAT. In fact, like "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster," it's probably one of the series' all-time bests. Even if you're skipping all the others this season (and, based on what we've seen so far, you probably should), if you've got even a bit of love for The X-Files in your cold, cold heart, you've got to watch this one.

Written by longtime X-Files writer (and sometimes actor) Darin Morgan—the guy not only responsible for "Were-Monster," but a bunch of the series' other outstanding episodes, like "Humbug," "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose," and "Jose Chung's From Outer Space"—"The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat" is funny and weird and smart, managing to never take itself too seriously while also hitting at exactly what makes The X-Files so great.

I'm hesitant to say too much about "Forehead Sweat," because its surprises are too fun to ruin—but I will say that it features an alien riding a hoverboard, a missing Twilight Zone episode, the non-existent Sinbad movie Shazaam, secretive meetings in parking garages (natch), and a series-shattering reveal of the "They" that's been behind some of the greatest conspiracies of our time. Like Morgan's other episodes, it both plays with the X-Files' format and knows precisely what makes it tick; unlike the rest of this season, it stays far away from the show's exceedingly bewildering mythology. Instead, it focuses on the two best hallmarks of the show: The relationship between Mulder and Scully, and their relationships with various monsters of the week.

In other words, it's a blast, and in daring to have some fun, it somehow manages to also be the most involving episode so far this season. With its awkward, shambling return to television, The X-Files has consistently felt like it's trying too hard. Morgan, though, makes it look easy.

The Portland Mercury

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 24 Jan - 10:45

The X-Files' Darin Morgan Teases Fake News, Fan Goodies in Zany Season 11 Ep — Plus: Watch a Sneak Peek!

By Kimberly Roots / January 23 2018, 12:46 PM PST

If you’re an X-Files viewer who likes your Mulder a little goofy, your Scully a little put out and your callbacks to previous episodes plentiful, this week’s Darin Morgan-written and –directed hour is a bleepin’ dream.

“The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat” (Fox, Wednesday at 8/7c) takes the same irreverent tone as the producer’s previous X-Files eps, which include Season 3’s “Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repose” and “Jose Chung’s ‘From Outer Space’,” as well as last season’s “Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster.” It examines the concept of The Mandela Effect — which happens when masses of people remember something differently from how it actually happened — and offers up a possible explanation for how the FBI’s current investigation of the unexplained came to be.

We got Morgan on the phone for a few minutes to talk about the episode, which prominently features comedic actor Brian Huskey (Veep, People of Earth) the same way that “Were-Monster” did Rhys Darby in Season 10. Read on for Morgan’s thoughts, then make sure to watch the exclusive sneak peek video at the top of the post.

CASTING WOES | “I’ve been a fan of Brian’s for a while. I just had to fight for him,” Morgan told TVLine. “It was Fox or something. I don’t know. I had the same problem with my last episode with Rhys Darby. For some reason, they won’t let you have the person you want… They’re both great performances. I’m sure if I do another episode, I’m going to have the same problem.”

BE KIND, REWIND | “Forehead Sweat” trades heavily in nostalgia in a way we don’t want to spoil before you see it. We will say that Huskey’s character’s name, if not a full-on Easter Egg,  is something of a sweet marshmallow Peep for fans.

FUNNY BECAUSE IT’S TRUE | The hour includes a funny-though-biting examination of the fake news phenomenon, criticizing those who will believe something even in the absence of fact. Yet Morgan hesitated to draw too straight of a line between our current political climate and the sci-fi drama’s take on it. “I don’t know what to say. I have very strong views about it, and yet it’s difficult for me to do anything in a straight, serious vein,” he said, adding that humor often stops people who are opposed to an idea from rejecting it outright. “Whatever someone’s political stance is, what party they belong to, they will be able to watch the episode and appreciate what it’s actually trying to say [without] having too knee-jerk of a reaction.”

‘THE END’ FOR REAL? | Given that Gillian Anderson recently said she was done with the show after this season, and series creator Chris Carter said The X-Files wouldn’t continue without her, we wondered whether Morgan thought that Thursday’s episode was a fitting swan song for his time with Scully and Mulder. “Sure, oh yeah,” he said with little hesitation. “In a weird way, the last three episodes I’ve written, I’ve written under the assumption that they could be the last episode I ever do for the show, and so they’re sort of written as if they are. I think this one kind of works.”

TVLine

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 24 Jan - 18:31

The X-Files Review: In Which The X-Files Asks Us If We Still Like The X-Files

(Episode 11.04)

By Dom Sinacola | January 24, 2018 | 9:00pm

Photo: Shane Harvey/FOX

“The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat” is maybe the first episode of The X-Files to ever clearly ask: Is this thing even good anymore?

I ask myself the same every week—not pejoratively, but with a warmed-over, lifelong curiosity beaten, at this point passively, into my skull, once an obsession and now something I accept, like cleaning the garage, or celebrating Valentine’s Day. Chris Carter and crew—one of whom, Darin Morgan, helmed this episode—have used this 11th season to pry apart the tropes that defined the show (and all of the shows in its wake) while also redefining what the show is even supposed to be anymore, which amounts to both a celebration of and justification for itself. As much fun as that sounds.

Still, Carter obviously aspires to grander plots and loftier thematic complexity, a comment, maybe, on the ways in which he commented on even older plots in last season’s arc, asserting that the vast government conspiracy Mulder (David Duchovny) and Scully (Gillian Anderson) had been chasing throughout the ’90s was only a ruse meant to be an increasingly convoluted mish-mash of derivative sci-fi hooey to distract from and obfuscate the harsher truth, that the real threat to our existence was ourselves. And also the government. Mostly the government. By refocusing the UFO narrative—the colonization of the planet; the warring alien factions; the race to develop alien-human hybrids to resist that colonization—back on Earth, Carter literally rebooted the series.

If the 11th season has felt like a reboot of a reboot, it must be because whatever sleight of hand the showrunner’s attempting to pull, it’s only so far manifested as starkly uneven episodes that appear to either be patiently cohering into a bigger statement about serialized TV and our culture of nostalgia, or toying purposelessly with our fandom for no greater purpose than that they think that’s what we want. The writers all decided—workshopped and planned and considered and revised—to frame the season so far as either the reality to the dream of the 10th season finale, or the dream of a mother sent to her by her psychic, dreamscape-hurdling son, in which the mother lives out the rest of her days as she would have wanted to: solving paranormal cases with her emotionally distant lover whose father raped her “with science.”

“The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat” falls cleanly in line with the first three episodes of the season thus far, playing whack-a-Schrödinger’s-mole with notions of doubles and alternate timelines and oneiric realities, but anchors itself to the core relationship between the two lead agents. Darin Morgan mounts his episode around their shared memories—a bond born from years of unique experience weathered together—but then pretty deftly disassembles whatever romantic ideals we still held about that bond as viewers who’ve spent countless hours there with them. What if the show was never as good a thing as we remember the thing being?

After a hardy bout of ’squatching, Mulder detects the masking tape “X” plastered to his windowpane, a symbol which once meant he had to immediately meet the appropriately named Mr. X (Steven Williams) in some dank parking garage. Surprised, Mulder goes to their old meeting place, this time confronted by “Reggie… Something” (Brian Huskey), who claims, after numerous rendezvous attempts involving Scully and always abruptly ended by the emergence of sinister-seeming bureaucrats, he’s being erased from the collective human memory by a malevolent global force led by the technology of the nefarious Dr. They (Stuart Margolin), who resembles Abe Vigoda after out-patient eye surgery. Inevitably, Reggie reveals that he started the X-Files, and has been partners with Mulder and Scully since the beginning, going on all those wacky adventures with them, friends forever—but he’d been completely erased from their brains. Morgan alludes to the Mandela Effect to wonder if peak Nostalgia TV just means eventually rebooting our memories.

Like his work on last year’s “Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster”—as well as on the heart-melting “Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repose”—the standard for every neo-X-Files episode to meet is set, then re-set, then re-set again by Morgan. “The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat” is visually playful, hilarious, dumb, witty, hammy, a tad overshot and ultimately poignant, a sly reference to Paul Verhoeven’s Total Recall and a killer Skinner (Mitch Pileggi) one-liner rounding out the assurance that this The X-Files is what it should be in 2018—that sometimes it’s OK to dream.

When Reggie begins reminiscing about his favorite cases tackled by the sides of his favorite agents, Morgan offers us Gump-like re-imaginings, and in each case, briefly, the Reggie version could be better than the Reggie-less original. Retconning Reggie into The X-Files probably wouldn’t pan out, but that urge—to revisit what we, what I, once loved with new perspectives and tastes—is what has allowed the show to endure, its now obsolete brand of serialized TV, mixing Monster-of-the-Week stand-alones with broader stories, an itch Morgan slaps at, slipping only at the end of the episode to over-explain itself—and punch up on the #FakeNews Trump references—and swoon too hard around obnoxiously loud set dressing and aesthetics. Maybe it’s a symptom of overcompensation, of fear, of the reluctance to believe that The X-Files can still be what it once was.

What if it can’t? That’s a healthy question to ask every week.

Paste Magazine

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 24 Jan - 18:36

'X-Files' Scribe Darin Morgan Reveals Which Homage Didn't Make the Final Cut

Marisa Roffman January 24, 2018 9:00 pm

Shane Harvey/FOX
Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny in the "The Lost Art Of Forehead Sweat"

Warning! This post contains spoilers for the Wednesday, January 24 episode of The X-Files. Do not read this until you've watched the hour.

The X-Files took on the Mandela Effect and President Trump (via a Trump-like alien) in Wednesday’s “The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat.” But thanks to Reggie Something (Brian Huskey) insisting he was really Scully (Gillian Anderson) and Mulder’s (David Duchovny) long-lost partner, the hour ended up being, in many ways, a love letter to the series itself.

As Reggie explained his “real” connection to the dynamic duo, viewers got an alternate take on things: new opening credits with Reggie and Reggie in the background (adding snark) to memorable scenes throughout the series—including Mulder and Scully’s first meeting.

Deciding which moments to include wasn’t exactly easy—for an unexpected reason. “The problem with that was the scenes I thought I was going to use, the famous scenes, didn’t really work with fitting another person in. They were tight close-ups between David and Gillian,” episode writer Darin Morgan explains with a laugh.

He continues, “Where would I put the character? That was the last thing I wrote. I was skimming through [old] episodes going, ‘OK, he could fit in there. People remember this scene or this character, and Reggie could be put into this scene.’ It was a combination of which episodes die-hard fans would remember and if the character would fit in there. It’s a bit arbitrary, but I got the main ones I wanted in.”

David Duchovny in the "The Lost Art Of Forehead Sweat" episode of THE X-FILES

There was one memorable scene Morgan tried to work into the montage, but couldn’t quite fit. “I wanted to fit another one of [series creator] Chris [Carter]’s in,” Morgan says. “[From Season 5’s] ‘Post-Modern Prometheus,’ I wanted to fit the [end scene with them] dancing in. I wanted him dancing in the background, but he didn’t fit in there.”

TVInsider

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 24 Jan - 18:46

‘The X-Files’: The best quotes from ‘The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat’

Mulder (David Duchovny), Reggie Something (Brian Huskey) and Scully (Gillian Anderson) tackle the Mandela Effect in the "The Lost Art Of Forehead Sweat." (Fox)

By Caitlin O'Conner
Published: January 24, 2018
Updated: January 24, 2018 at 09:10 PM

Tonight on The X-Files, things got a little crazy. Season 11, Episode 4, "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat" is one of those zany episodes that can only come to you from the mind of Darin Morgan, like other noteworthy parody-fests like "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" and last season's "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster."

It would be impossible to recap this episode in the vein of other episodes, if only because all Darin Morgan episodes defies explanation in text — you have to watch it to comprehend and believe the tale of a conspiracy nut who may or may not have created the X-Files, been involved with finding an alien in Grenada in the '80s and blames the Mandela Effect (or Mingle Effect) on a maybe real figure named Dr. They.

So aside from saying Mulder is repeatedly called "Foxy" as a name, not an adjective, and Scully seems super concerned about dinner (undoubtedly A DATE after last week's episode), I will leave it to that and instead present you with the best quotes from the episode.

Mulder (David Duchovny) goes “squatchin” in this episode of The X-Files. (Fox)

"I was out 'squatchin'. … Bigfoot hunting. I had my phone turned off." – Mulder

"I just had to get away from the madness for a little while. It seems all I've done this past year is watch the news and worry that the country's gone insane. I had to get out to nature, where it's simple and uncomplicated, where it's just you and the elements and possibly a cryptozoological simian-like humanoid with enormous, hairy feet." – Mulder

"I think you just like saying 'squatchin'." – Scully

"Who are they?" – Mulder
"They are why you don't remember. Why aren't people getting probed by aliens anymore? You used to know, but they made you forget, so you wouldn't remember me." – Reggie

"Confuse The Twilight Zone with The Outer Limits? DO YOU EVEN KNOW ME?" – Mulder to Scully

"How did you know it was me?" – Reggie
"He mentioned the forehead sweat." – Scully

"Let me get this straight — when it cools, it forms into three different layers with three different textures, all from the same mix? How has this not been an X-File?" – Mulder on a knock-off of Jell-O 123

"It's the Mandela effect. When someone has a memory of something that's not shared by the majority or the factual record. For instance, there are some people that have a memory of seeing a movie called Shazam starring Sinbad as an irrepressible genie. Even after it's pointed out to them they're probably thinking of a movie called Kazaam starring Shaquille O'Neil as an irrepressible genie. Especially because a movie named Shazam was never made."
"But what if I don't remember either movie?"
"You win!" – Mulder and Scully

"Come on, it'll be like a date." – Mulder taking Scully to a rendezvous with Reggie

"That's something somebody might actually want, so no." – shop owner when asked if he had Dr. Wuzzle books

"The government always knows more than they let on." -shop owner

"The Mandela effect … is simply people misremembering stuff." -Scully
"Maybe this is actually evidence of a parallel universe." -Mulder
"Wait, what?" -Scully and Reggie
"So maybe these differences in collective memory are actually evidence of our universe somehow becoming intertwined with another if not identical then very similar universe so people's memories are correct, they're just remembering something that happened in another dimension. Hence the discrepancies. That's science, Scully." -Mulder

"We're not going to do this parallel universe, sci-fi gobbledygook, nerd boy." – Reggie

"IT'S NOT PARALLEL UNIVERSES!" – everybody who is not Mulder

"We were made of stronger stuff back then, Scully." – Mulder

"You know what? A conspiracy nut is right twice a day." – Reggie

"They want you to think all conspiracies are nutty so that you ignore the ones that are true." – Reggie

"The alien had been sent to earth to warn us about holes in the ozone layer. He said one of his people would return in 35 years to see if we managed to avoid environmental catastrophe." – Reggie

"What you've told us is theoretically possible. More likely in another universe." – Mulder

"The one thing I didn't forget was the telepathic screams of that alien. I wanted to know where the men from the government took him. That's when I dropped out of med school, joined the FBI. And that's how I started the X-Files." – Reggie

Reggie Something's entire X-Files opening sequence recreation and case files.

"Guys, if this turns out to be killer cats, I'm going to be very disappointed." – Reggie

"Do you know who I am? I'm Fox Mulder. I was fighting the power and breaking conspiracies before you saw your first chem trail, you punks. I'M FOX FREAKING MULDER, YOU PUNKS."

"I'm right back to parallel universes again. It's true Scully, I've lost the plot. I can't find the hidden connections between things anymore. The world has become too crazy for even my conspiratorial powers." – Mulder "Maybe you've just lost your taste for it after all this birther stuff." – Scully

"When's the last time someone admitted doing something they were ashamed of? Even caught on tape, they just say, 'Well, that was taken out of context.'"

"Who's hiding? I'm in the phone book. But nobody knows what's a phone book anymore." – Dr. They

"They don't care if the truth gets out. Because the public no longer knows what is meant by the truth." – Dr. They
"Believe what you want to believe. That's what everybody does nowadays anyways." – Dr. They

"Take care, guys, stay sane. And good luck with the rest of your cases." – Reggie

The entire sequence with the alien. "And Scully drove."

"We are building a wall. … We can't allow your kind to infiltrate the rest of the cosmos. You're not sending us your best people. You're bringing drugs, you're bringing crime, you're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people. But we have no choice, believe me. For although the rest of the galaxies all have their share of these problems, we fear you could infect the rest with the one trait that is unique to earthlings: You lie." – the alien

"Good luck. And good riddance." – the alien

"So that's the truth? We're not alone in the universe? But nobody likes us?" – Mulder

"Don't worry, Mulder. There will always be more X-Files." – Scully

"No, they gave us the answers to everything. Even Sasquatch. NO! NO! IT'S NOT TRUE! IT CAN'T BE." – Mulder before pitching a fit

"It's time to face the facts, guys. This is the end of the X-Files. But maybe the point wasn't to find the truth but to find each other." – Reggie, in a line that may as well have been aimed at the whole fanbase since this seems to be the final season of the show

"I want to remember how it was. I want to remember how it all was." – Scully not eating the Jell-O, in another line seemingly aimed at the fanbase

"Where the hell are they taking Reggie?" – Skinner

Tampabay.com

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 24 Jan - 18:53

[TV Review] “The X-Files” Season 11 Episode 4: “The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat”

by Daniel Kurland
   January 24, 2018

Darin Morgan delivers another comedic home run of an episode as he tackles the perception of memory and the fascinating “Mandela Effect”

“Submitted for your approval…”

Now this is my kind of X-Files!

Darin Morgan’s season ten offering, “Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster” is not only the best episode of the season, but it’s arguably one of the strongest episodes from the show’s entire run. Morgan might have expressed his extreme anxiety over writing more X-Files episodes and his concerns over running out of ideas and not being able to deliver, but thankfully he is back and his writing is just as sharp and unusual as ever. “The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat” is an episode that’s as Darin Morgan as they come. It makes for a strong addition to the writer’s collection of episodes, but it’s also without a doubt the best entry of the season.

“The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat” is all about memory, especially when it comes to its giant faults and blind spots. Morgan’s inventive, frenetic episode is basically the closest The X-Files comes to playing with a storyline and concept catered to Community, which is frankly the very best sort of mash-up possible (it also makes me deeply curious about the idea of the show recruiting Dan Harmon to write an episode, since people like Vince Gilligan don’t have the time to return). Community gets creative with its dissection of memory by putting together a “fake” clip show full of moments from adventures that the audience has never seen before. Morgan’s script does something similar by taking a number of previous X-Files episodes and memories and then it injects Reggie Something (Brian Huskey) into them. The fun here is in how Mulder and Scully—and the audience—obviously have no recollection of Reggie being apart of their past cases, which is where the sticky topic of memory begins to see examination.

This episode bases itself around the amazing reveal that Reggie was apparently not only Mulder and Scully’s former partner, but that he also started the X-Files with ol’ Foxy and Sculs’! Morgan’s episode does some inspired wok by (sloppily) editing Reggie into a bunch of old X-Files memories (including the theme song) and it makes for some pretty delicious fan service. I bet there are a whole lot of fans that would prefer Reggie’s rendition of the events from the final X-Files more than what actually happens in “The Truth.”

All of this is apparently the result of a phenomenon known as the Mandela Effect (or the Mengele Effect, depending on who you ask) where people have a tendency to collectively remember events incorrectly. It’s name stems from the idea that many people are positive that they heard that Nelson Mandela died while he was in prison during the ‘80s, when he actually died as a free man in 2013. This is a fascinating little social experiment to dissect and Morgan attempts to attack it from as many recognizable angles as possible. As much as the characters in this episode receive a lesson about the Mandela Effect, so does the audience, and that’s part of the beauty of this entry. Morgan also digs through a cornucopia of pop culture to help prove his episode’s point, like how people misremember if it’s the “Bearenstein” or “Berenstain” Bears and if that movie about a genie in a boom box is Kazaam with Shaq or Shazaam with Sinbad. These niche topics are Morgan’s bread and butter and rambling on about these things are a clear strength for the script.

Even though this episode covers a lot of ground, it’s actually an installment where there’s very little action that goes down. Instead, the episode is interested in Mulder, Scully, and Reggie getting into a debate over what exactly is going on here. Is the existential anguish that Reggie finds himself in proof of parallel universes? A hypno ray gun? Or is he just misremembering Occam’s Razor?

Most of the installment is spent in a parking garage as the three of them come up with various theories and then try to hash them all out. This might not seem very exciting, but Morgan’s winning dialogue actually turns the episode’s verbose structure into an asset. Duchovny and Anderson always seem to particularly come alive in Darin Morgan’s episodes. Maybe they’re just happier when they get to do comedic installments, but the “sleepwalking” effect that sometimes happens is never present in Morgan’s episodes. Additionally, Brian Huskey is a delight here and the perfect person for the role of Reggie. He’s got wonderful chemistry with Duchovny and Anderson and Huskey makes for a fine addition to Darin Morgan’s incorporation of comedic actors Rhys Darby and Kumail Nanjiani in his episode last season. Here’s hoping that his next entry puts someone like Jason Mantzoukas or Brett Gelman in the spotlight.

Reggie’s ramblings point Mulder and Scully in the direction of Dr. Thaddeus They, a radical doctor who nobody knows about because he’s erased all traces of himself (including his Kazaam knockoff). The episode posits that this “mad scientist” is essentially responsible for every major decision in the “free” world, Trump included. Morgan presents this absurd idea via documentary-esque footage that continues to have fun with the myth of Dr. They. This creepy man who looks a little too much like Klaus Kinski in Nosferatu has apparently erased Mulder, Scully, and Reggie’s minds of each other because they’re the only ones who are capable of stopping him.

These radical theories all broach the bigger idea that nobody knows what’s real and what’s fake news anymore. There’s no longer a “truth” to get out there because everything is so warped and why even bother when we’ll never know the facts behind it all? Collective consciousness and uncertainty is enough to forever plant seeds of doubt and let lies and misinformation fester and grow. Dr. They points out that the proliferation of the Internet makes it impossible to get to the truth of anything anymore, even without his additional brainwashing.

At this point, this is certainly the standout episode of the season, but in some ways it feels like one of Darin Morgan’s weaker entries. Granted, something like this looks a whole lot better in comparison when the rest of the condensed season is so dour and overly serious. It’s clear that Morgan’s done a ton of research for this episode and it looks like he’s had a lot of fun in the process. That being said, certain elements of this episode feel “easy” or that they’re able to coast by simply because everyone has such a fun time with the material. For instance, that gag where a young Mulder has adult Mulder’s head is a bizarre, amusing visual, but I’m not sure if it exactly “works.” At the same time, Morgan gets a little too silly with all of this and by the end of the episode his message feels a little less precise. So all of this was just a big Trump allegory in the end? The aliens build a space wall in order to keep us away from them and secure their safety? That’s the kind of conclusion that I can see Darin Morgan finding to be absolutely hilarious, but Trump is a figure that’s already come up a few times this season and he yields diminishing returns.

These minor criticisms don’t stop “The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat” from being a delirious, good time. It’s outrageous in the best way possible and in spite of any missteps that The X-Files may take as a whole, it’s episodes like this that continue to justify its existence. If nothing else, they act as proof that Darin Morgan deserves his own vehicle where he can turn out unpredictable, supernaturally fueled stories. Viewers shouldn’t have to wallow through melodramatic plans of colonization and genocide in order to get to gems like Mulder’s hunt for a lost episode of The Twilight Zone.

If the audience does too much of that then they’re bound to find themselves locked up in Spotnitz Sanitarium just like dear old Reg’.

“The X-Files’” 11th season will continue Wednesdays at 8pm (ET) on FOX

Bloody Disgusting

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down