The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

How Getting Into Music Helped David Duchovny Overcome His Biggest Fear

Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 20 Feb - 3:20

20th 2018 | Daniel Cribb

Embarking on a career in music only a few years ago, Hollywood superstar†David Duchovny†tells†Daniel Cribb†how he overcame one of his greatest fears.

ďFamine, ignorance and war / I keep just outside my door / It's me, myself and I / And I Let it slide,Ē sings David Duchovny on Stranger In The Sacred Heart, a cut from his second record, Every Third Thought.

While it's the albumís fourth song and wasnít released specifically as a single, itís one of the more powerful.

ďThatís the closest Iíve come to formulating a religion or philosophy for living,Ē the X-Files star begins from his New York home on the eve of the LPís release.

The lyrics throughout the new 12-track effort are ďextremely personalĒ, but donít try to connect the dots between each song as ďthereís nothing juicy in thereĒ thatíll reveal specifics about his personal life. ďI feel like the way that I write lyrics, Iím not writing a point-by-point confessional,Ē he explains.

His music has laid-back vocals and a folk edge, so itís not surprising heís drawing inspiration from the likes of Bob Dylan. ďI donít give a fuck, really, what happened in Bob Dylanís life, but something happened and it made him an amazing lyricist and same with [Tom] Petty, same with The Beatles.Ē

Each song captures a point in Duchovnyís life and looking back on the album, itís fitting the acclaimed actor sees each song as its own ďcharacterĒ.

ďThe person singing the song is like a different person,Ē he tells. ďSome of these songs were written over a period of two years, so my point of view is changing within the songs and I think if you approach each song as a story or character in and of itself then, to me, thatís the right way to approach the album and not really as a statement.Ē

It was only a few years ago that Duchovny decided to branch out into music, unveiling his debut Hell Or Highwater in 2015, and since then heís become a lot more comfortable calling himself a musician.

"Iím not a trained singer or natural singer, so it was a real struggle recording the first album,"†he reveals. "I was able to hook up with an amazing voice coach here in New York named Don Lawrence and Iíve been working with him for like three or four years now."

"Iím not under the illusion that Iím an amazing singer, but I have more confidence in what it is I do and how to go about doing it, so not only recording this album but also performing live is a much more comfortable place for me to be."

And itís with this newfound confidence that heíll bring Every Third Thought to Australia. ďIíll be on your time schedule soon enough and I hope I donít walk through two weeks of concerts jetlagged; Iím a little concerned,Ē he laughs.

He may play the part of Hank Moody onstage, but when Duchovny first started performing in front of live audiences, it wasnít an easy feat. ďI would have told you that my greatest fear, up until I started doing it, would have been [singing],Ē he says.

ďIt couldnít be further from what I ever expected to be doing, so in that way, itíll never be not shocking to me. At some point, I realised itís about the song; itís not about me, and itís like, yeah, Iím going to try and sing it the way it is on the record, where I had a bunch of goes at it and could get it as close to note-perfect as I could, but Iím not the kind of singer thatís going to do that live. I donít care because people donít come to hear notes, they come to hear a song and they come to hear a story and feel something.Ē

And that experience is where Duchovny hopes to bridge the gap for fans of shows like The X-Files, Californication and more. ďI guess with two albums, maybe [fans] know the music better, but the first time, I knew I was lucky. I could sell 2,500 seats and it wasnít because of the music Ė they came to see me.

ďI donít really care why you came out, Iím happy that you came out and Iím confident that what weíre doing has merit and emotional traction to it.

ďI feel like weíre making good music and weíre singing good songs and telling interesting stories, so I feel like youíll come back for the music.Ē

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 113811
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum