The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

The X-Files: Year Zero

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The X-Files: Year Zero

Post by jade1013 on Fri 29 Jul - 14:05

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 110171
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Fri 29 Jul - 14:18

Review: “The X-Files Year Zero” #1

By Zac Thompson on July 16, 2014

While hunting a shape-shifting black leopard, Agents Mulder and Scully are assisted by a tip from the mysterious “Mr. Zero”.  Mulder notes some striking similarities to the first on record X-File which happens to involve animals attacks, a disgraced FBI agent teaming up with a disrespected female agent, and an enigmatic “Mr. Xero” in 1946.  Thus begins the cross-generational five issue miniseries “X-Files: Year Zero”.  Fans rejoice.

WRITTEN BY: Karl Kessel
ART BY: Greg Scott and Vic Malhotra
PUBLISHER: IDW
PRICE: $3.99
RELEASE: July 16, 2014

Reviewed By Epic Switzer

Two disclosures:  First of all while I love The X-Files tv series I haven’t been reading the season 10 continuation and secondly I tend to stay away from licensed comics. To me they tend to feel both inauthentic and inconsequential (unless they are canonical like the current drool-worthy Serenity series) so I was biased against this book before I started it.
  Having said that I did actually enjoy reading it.  Connecting the two time lines is an interesting convention and there is enough mystery in both to create something that feels both fresh and true to the original series.  This is going to be an obvious case of a “If you are a fan, you’ll like it” review but the good news is there is really nothing to dislike about it.  This book is pretty strong from beginning to end.

Despite my personal feelings of licensed comics being a cash in, as a fan I can’t help but feel nostalgia seeing Mulder and Scully investigating cat people together.  Their interplay is true enough, and it is pretty funny to hear them use and discuss modern technology like google and texting, appropriate as the show was always known to have the first fan base to embrace the internet and social media.  I would have loved to see Mulder texting on his infamous giant cellphone, but I digress.

The 1946 team are meant to be parallels of Mulder and Scully but socially appropriate to the time period.  I think this is a really interesting idea and in fact I would really love to see a mid-century X-Files show, so major points for a clever concept.  In the first issue the present day team is used to bookend the 1946 narrative but I hope in future issues there is some flipping back and forth.  I think it will help the pacing a lot, as I felt this book kind of dragged in the middle.

There is nothing wrong with this book, but there also isn’t really anything special.  Creating in an established universe can be difficult as well as rewarding for the creators, but personally like with all licensed comics I found myself not really excited to keep reading.  If you a hungry for more X-Files this series won’t betray you. Otherwise you’re better off reading something new.

Epic Switzer AKA Eric is an aspiring filmmaker and screenplay writer living in Los Angeles.  His work tends to focus on the lighter side of entropy, dystopic futures, and man’s innate struggle with his own mortality.  He can be found on twitter @epicswitzer or reached via email at ericswitzerfilm@gmail.com

OFFICIAL SCORE ***

Bloodydisgusting.com

sir
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 100670
Registration date : 2007-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 29 Jul - 14:25

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Thu 17 Nov - 1:42

IS IT GOOD? THE X-FILES: YEAR ZERO #1 REVIEW

July brings us an X-Files miniseries detailing the organization’s early years. Is it good?

The X-Files: Year Zero #1 (IDW Publishing)

The story begins with Mulder and Scully working a case about missing cats… or people who turn into cats… it really depends on which one of them you ask. As if that wasn’t strange enough, a fortunate and timely bit of information leads them on a chase for a mysterious ‘Mr. Zero’ who was part of the very first official X-File.

“Scully…I think we found who’s been leaving hairballs at all the crime scenes…”

We then flash back to 1946, where a loose cannon FBI agent and a dame with more moxie than most men (sound familiar?) end up having to work together to solve a string of murder cases. This isn’t just an interesting historic diversion, though. It turns out that the ‘Mr. Zero’ from Mulder and Scully’s case was part of theirs, as well.

Is It Good?

To put it simply, this issue is X-Files at its best. The dialogue between Mulder and Scully is pitch perfect and hilarious (and it gets points for including the mother of all ‘Sopranos’ references).

The case they are working on begins as something a degree shy of absurd before quickly evolving into something much more interesting and nefarious. The flashback sequences are also very well-handled. Karl Kesel creates a pair of agents who are similar to Mulder and Scully, but different enough that they’re still interesting.

The artwork by Greg Scott and Vic Malhotra is great, but also represents my one issue with the book so far. The dark and moody atmosphere it sets often contrasts a bit too sharply with the great bits of humor that Kesel liberally sprinkles throughout the script.
Otherwise, this is a great opening chapter to what should be a fun ride for early season X-Files fans.

The Good

A great story in the present with a fascinating look into the past.Karl Kesel's dialogue between Mulder and Scully is smart and laugh out loud funny.

The Bad 

The artwork by Greg Scott and Vic Malhotra is excellent, but the dark tone sometimes contrast too sharply with the scripts humorous moments.

Adventuresinpoortaste.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

Your favorite David's role : Hank Moody and Fox Mulder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Thu 17 Nov - 2:00

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Thu 17 Nov - 2:04

IS IT GOOD? THE X-FILES: YEAR ZERO #2 REVIEW
Nick NafpliotisNICK NAFPLIOTISAUGUST 20, 2014

Mulder and Scully continue to track down leads on a case that connects to the very first X-file. In the past, agents Bing Ellington and Millie Ohio continue to do the same (with substancially less sexual tension). Is it good?

The X-Files: Year Zero #2 (IDW Publishing)

Last month, the opening issue to the miniseries left us with quite the bit of foreshadowing: Mrs. Sears had been murdered by the mysterious (and monsterous) Mr. Xero. This month’s issue opens with what looks to be that fateful confrontation…only to see them talk about Jell-O and cheese.

No seriously…that’s what happened…

All snark aside, however, the encounter is very unsettling, especially considering what we know about the future. Ellington and Ohio’s questioning of Mrs. Sears leads them to Montana, where they come face to face with something far more horrifying than what the agents thought they were hunting.

Back in the present, Mulder and Scully start to close in on Xero (while also throwing out a delightful Twins Peaks reference). Unfortunately, their mysterious target seems to be one step ahead of them…both now and in the past.

Is It Good?

I haven’t hid my dislike of the current arc/direction of the main IDW X-Files series. On the flip side of that, however, X-Files: Year Zero is turning out to be everything I could ask for and then some.

Both of the story’s timelines present a compelling mystery, doling out just enough information to keep the reader interested and engaged without feeling like a series of poorly executed deus ex machinas. Writer Karl Kesel does a great job portraying Mulder and Scully’s chemistry, balancing real danger and suspense with the perfect dash of humor when it’s needed.

But what’s even more impressive is how he’s crafted a similar yet distinctly different dynamic between Ellington and Ohio. Fox and Dana may be running the show, but I feel just as invested in their 1946 counterparts.

On the art side of things, the work by Greg Scott and Vic Malhotra is superb. Both styles contrast enough to clearly separate the different time periods without feeling too jarring. My only gripe is that the major action sequence near the end of the ‘present’ story (drawn by Scott) was very stilted. This hurts a key scene, but not enough to discount the rest of Scott’s gorgeous, atmospheric penciling.

Even if you didn’t know anything about X-Files (or you didn’t like the show back when it aired), this would likely still be a fun series to read. But if you are a long time X-Phile, then X-Files: Year Zero is shaping up to be a wonderful ride.

The Good

Karl Kesel continues to write Mulder and Scully perfectly while also creating a different by equally enjoyable dynamic between their past counterparts, Ellington and Ohio.

Both stories are strong enough to have the reader fully invested, essentially giving us two fantastic tales intertwined into one.

The tag team artwork by Greg Scott and Vic Malhotra is superb, contrasting just the right amount to differentiate the time periods without being a distraction.

The  Bad

One of Malhotra's main action sequence is penciled a bit too stiffly, making it hard to follow what happens.

Overall Score

Adventruresinpoortaste.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Thu 17 Nov - 2:05

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Thu 17 Nov - 2:20

IS IT GOOD? X-FILES: YEAR ZERO #3 REVIEW
Nick NafpliotisNICK NAFPLIOTISOCTOBER 1, 2014

Last month, we were left with one heck of a cliffhanger in the past along with a heck of a mystery in the present. In this issue, we get to see how Ellington/Ohio and Mulder/Scully deal with both. Is it good?

The X-Files: Year Zero #3 (IDW Publishing)

The big scary werewolf attack from last issue resolves itself with Ellington, Ohio, and the boy they were trying to save a bit banged up but still alright.

Good thing, too. Being bitten by a werewolf can cause you to grow some gnarly sideburns.

Unfortunately, the endgame of Xero continues to be a head scratcher. The two agents eventually come across what appears to be new evidence of their mysterious tipster’s origins, but a trip to the present with Mulder and Scully reveals that things might not be what they seem…again…

Is It Good?

As good as this series still is, this issue felt like it was spinning its wheels a bit. From Mulder and Scully’s circular conversation with Dell to the mind games with Xero, it’s starting to get a little too Kafka-esque.

We do get some new information in the form of Xero’s possible iterations, but nothing that really tells us about him as an entity beyond what we’ve already seen. I will admit, however, that I was intrigued at the possibility of the X-Files first agents being guided by this mysterious character. It’s a plot thread that has major potential to go either way.

And despite my reservations about the issue’s narrative muddiness, the great dialogue and exceptional art still makes it a highly enjoyable read. Let’s just hope that next month’s installment moves things forward a bit.

The Good

Writer Karl Kesel once again shows an uncanny knack for dialogue that perfectly balances dramatic sincerity and genuine humor.
The art team of Greg Scott and Vic Malhotra continues to knock it out of the park.

The Bad

The narrative is beginning to spin its wheels a bit. We already know that Xero has dubious motives and supernatural abilities. It's far past time to begin piecing together his motivations.

Overall Score

Adventuresinpoortaste.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Thu 17 Nov - 2:20

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Thu 17 Nov - 2:20

IS IT GOOD? THE X-FILES: YEAR ZERO #5 REVIEW
 Nick NafpliotisNICK NAFPLIOTIS

The final issue of our time hopping trip through the X-Files first case to the present comes to a conclusion. Is it good?

The X-Files: Year Zero #5 (IDW Publishing)

There are two ways to look at this issue.

On one hand, you have the wonderful, tight mystery through time the series started with… which came almost completely off the rails before skidding to disjointed, unsatisfying ending. Supernatural elements in fiction are obviously going to be fantastic by nature, but they should still have some parameters that help them make sense in the context of the story.

But on the other hand, Karl Kesel wrote some fantastic interactions between with Ellison/Ohio and Mulder Scully. And despite the muddied plot, the looks back into the past of the X-Files (particularly at the very end of this issue) were a lot of fun.

Is it Good?

As a whole series, yes. When combined with the great art duo of Gregg Scott and Vic Malhottra, Kesel did some great world building, invented some fun/scary characters, and for the first two thirds of its fun, made X-Files: Year Zero a pitch perfect franchise tale.

Unfortunately, the random and ‘out of nowhere’ elements that infiltrated the series’ final couple of issues took the luster off the it, a bit.

The Good

As a whole series, yes. When combined with the great art duo of Gregg Scott and Vic Malhottra, Kesel did some great world building, invented some fun/scary characters, and for the first two thirds of its fun, made X-Files: Year Zero a pitch perfect franchise tale.

Unfortunately, the random and ‘out of nowhere’ elements that infiltrated the series’ final couple of issues took the luster off the it, a bit.

The Bad

Karl Kesel wrote some fantastic interactions between with Ellison/Ohio and Mulder Scully. And despite the muddied plot, the looks back into the past of the X-Files (particularly at the very end of this issue) were a lot of fun.
Unfortunately, the random and ‘out of nowhere’ elements that infiltrated the series’ final couple of issues took the luster off it, a bit.

Overall Score

Aventuresinpootaste.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Thu 17 Nov - 2:21