The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

NYCC Exclusive: Harris & Carter Resurrect "Millennium" At IDW

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NYCC Exclusive: Harris & Carter Resurrect "Millennium" At IDW

Post by sir on Sun 12 Oct - 10:54

NYCC EXCLUSIVE: HARRIS & CARTER RESURRECT "MILLENNIUM" AT IDW

Friday afternoon at New York Comic Con, IDW Publishing announced an upcoming miniseries adaptation of cult Chris Carter TV show "Millennium" written by Joe Harris, who also pens IDW's "X-Files: Season 10." Featuring interior art by Colin Lorimer and covers by menton3, series creator Carter will reprise his "Season 10" role as executive producer.

Debuting in 1996 on FOX, "Millennium" followed the exploits of Seattle-based ex-FBI agent Frank Black (Lance Henriksen) as he tracked down serial killers using his paranormal ability to see through the eyes of murderers. The show lasted three seasons before its cancellation in 1999.

Harris Brings Back the Black Oil in "X-Files: Season 10"

Harris spoke about "Millennium" with CBR News before the convention, revealing X-Files Agent Fox Mulder will appearing in the first issue and hinting at plans for both "X-Files: Season 10" and "Harsh Realm" crossovers.

CBR News: Joe, why are you and IDW Publishing coming out with a "Millennium" series now, 15 years after the show left the airwaves?

"X-Files: Season 10" writer Joe Harris bring Chris Carter's cult classic FOX series "Millenium" to life at IDW
Cover by menton3
Joe Harris: I think the success of "The X-Files: Season 10" is what really made all this possible. We've worked really hard, on the other book, to make it an authentic experience for fans of the show while pushing to make the series a great read, and comic, in its own right.

IDW Editor-in-Chief, Chris Ryall had first hired me on "The X-Files" after I wrote up a take for where I wanted to push the canonical, comics continuation of that show. IDW loved what I came up with, as did FOX. And when "X-Files" creator Chris Carter put his arm around the venture and really, generously and effusively, validated our efforts, we were off to the races. And it was, I think, back over this past winter when Ryall again approached me about helping bring Chris Carter's other series, "Millennium," to comics.

We knew "Millennium" was going to be a different beast, but we also saw the opportunities to tie this all together a bit. "The X-Files" and "Millennium" shared a universe and my head lit up with lots of hooks and departures the stories could share. But, more interestingly, "Millennium" has a ton of great ideas that were never fully explored, along with shifting focuses of the show itself, from the dark and gritty serial killer-hunting going on throughout Season One to the more mythological world-building in Season Two, but all with this one man, Frank Black, caught in the middle.

I get asked about Frank Black a lot when I'm at conventions, and online. People love that character, and are devoted to the show. There's so much to draw on and build from there, the chance to deliver some new moments makes me really excited.

Honestly, everyone's been so supportive and appreciative of the work -- from the publisher, to the licensor, to the creator and, really importantly, the fans -- and that makes it really hard to not want to expand the circle a little.

What types of stories are you planning to tell with this miniseries?

Well, "Millennium" is a really unique concept and series with a lot of divergent ideas. The show really shifted in focus and tone over each of its three seasons on the air and those shifts, combined with its short lifespan, left a lot of unresolved stuff, and a lot of cool ideas that didn't get to develop over the years, say, "X-Files" had.

Our opening story guest-stars Agent Fox Mulder, who finds himself drawn into something far stranger than he initially realized when a serial killer he helped put away back when he was just a cadet is revealed to be connected to the infamous Millennium Group. But that's just one facet of this gathering of forces around Frank. It involves demons, the men who would hunt them, and the temptations they offer.

It's also about a father searching for his lost daughter. Jordan Black was always on track to be more powerful than Frank, with psychic abilities the Millennium Group were determined to add to their roster. The Group wanted her, and Frank risked everything to keep her safe. But now she's gone, and while Frank is hunting for her, darker forces are hunting them both.

In "The X-Files" episode "Millennium," we saw Frank stuck in an institution following his harrowing ordeal with the Group, his own losses, and the weight his psychic powers placed on him day after day, case after case. Agents Mulder and Scully solicited his help in stopping a necromancer with Millennium Group connections from triggering the end of the world. The cataclysm was halted. The year 1999 flipped over to 2000 and life went on.

Or did it?

That's one of the driving elements of this series. We'll learn that this catastrophic "Millennium Event" everyone was counting down toward during the show did, in fact, take place at the turn of the new century. It's just been simmering in the background, fucking with the world and steering it toward the apocalypse all along. Now it's gathering steam, and only Frank can stop it.

Joe Harris Explores IDW's "X-Files: Season 10"

Will there be an ongoing series eventually?

I believe our plan is to start with a five-issue series and really re-establish Frank Black, the shadowy remnants of the Millennium Group he once belonged to that turned on him, and which, we think, was dissolved, then gauge the temperature.

What's it like working with artists Colin Lorimer and menton3 on this project?

First off, Colin has been wonderful. He stepped in and did a fantastic job on the two-issue "X-Files: Season 10" arc we're in the midst of right now, "Immaculate" which will offer a surprise guest appearance in issue #17 that sets the stage for "Millennium," the comics series.

And Menton is just a stud. We've been lucky to have so many talented cover artists who really love "The X-Files," from Francesco Francavilla to Charles Paul Willson III to Mark Haley and Carlos Venezuela, but something about Menton's take on some of the more complex and seamy elements of that mythos, like his incentive covers for issue #3 featuring the Cigarette Smoking Man, or Flukeman from issue #6, just made him the perfect guy to portray Frank Black on the stands.

Is "Millennium" creator and "X-Files: Season 10" executive producer Chris Carter involved in this new series?

Chris has been our "Executive Producer," trusting my vision to shepherd these stories and characters along. He seems comfortable with me, but he's reviewing what we do and I expect I'll know if he's not happy!

Going back to when it was on the air, why do you think "Millennium" never connected with an audience the way "The X-Files" did?

Well, it's a headier brew. At its best, "The X-Files" certainly rose above genre trappings and the overall 'thriller' genre tag I think you can apply to it. But "Millennium" is more philosophical, more haunting, and, I think, more challenging. It's a broody, contemplative exploration of the coming apocalypse, the evil outside and, most important, the capacity for evil within.

What were your experiences with the show before being brought on to the comic? What were some of your favorite episodes?

I watched it back when. Definitely not as much as I did "The X-Files," but I was supportive of what they were trying to do and intrigued by Lance Henriksen's amazing portrayal of Frank Black. I don't think I grasped the challenge of falling into this show, back when I was a kid, as much as I dig it now. It's a meditative experience.

So far as favorite episodes go, I've got a bunch, mostly from the first two seasons including "The Judge," "The Hand of Saint Sebastian," "A Room With No View," "The Curse of Frank Black," "Midnight of the Century," along with the multi-part serialized episodes like "Owls" and "Roosters." Season Three's "Sound of Snow" is a memorable episode, too.

On TV, "Millennium" famously crossed over with "The X-Files." Since you're writing both comic books now, could we see those crossover as well?

If I told you those plans, we'd have nothing to talk about next time!

Are there any other classic TV shows you'd like to adapt for comics? Perhaps "Harsh Realm," Chris Carter's other FOX show?

Hey, I'm up for it. I suspect we can probably find a place to tease "Harsh Realm" without getting into trouble so keep a look out.

Switching gears to your creator-owned work, what's going on with your Image series "Great Pacific" at the moment?

We're presently wrapping up our "Big Game Hunters" arc which has just been a traumatic experience of death, destruction and failed dreams. But both it, and the sadistic villain we recently introduced, Baston Duvalier, are about to reach a pretty twisted and satisfying end.

Soon after that, artist and co-creator Martin Morazzo and I are going to make an announcement regarding some 2015 plans.

"Millennium" #1 will be available in early 2015 from IDW Publishing.

Comicbookresouces.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 100670
Your favorite David's role : Hank Moody and Fox Mulder
Registration date : 2007-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NYCC Exclusive: Harris & Carter Resurrect "Millennium" At IDW

Post by jade1013 on Sun 12 Oct - 11:04

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 110171
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rebel49 on Sun 12 Oct - 11:30

Cool

Number of posts : 9052
Your favorite David's role : Hank Moody
Registration date : 2009-08-11

View user profile http://www.patwalkertravel.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 3 Dec - 15:32

Colin Lorimer tweeted this unlettered page from MILLENNIUM #1 as a teaser.

Joe Harris

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 3 Dec - 16:36

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 1 Apr - 16:43

IDW's 'Millennium' #3 Review: David Duchovny's Fox Mulder, Lance Henriksen's Frank Black Search For Jordan!

With the success of The X-Files: Season 10, IDW Publishing is on a roll with the comic book adaptation of Chris Carter's Millennium. Frank Black (played by Lance Henriksen) and Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) continue the suspenseful search for Jordan in Millennium #3, by writer Joe Harris and artist Colin Lorimer.

Based on the the Millennium TV series, the comic book series picks up Frank's pursuit in stopping the Millennium Group after they have brought about the apocalypse. As we previously mentioned, the second issue follows Frank as he searches for his estranged daughter. Though she is older and mature, the seduction of evil is far more powerful than Frank ever thought.

In our MStars interview, Harris revealed how the years haven't been so kind to Frank, "Some things have in fact gone wrong in the world that may in fact be attributable to Millennium. And a guy like Frank Black, who's always right in the middle of both this overarching fanatic struggle between good and evil, he was also pursued by this Illuminati type group, the Millennium Group, and all of that has taken its toll. So we are seeing a Frank Black 15 years after we last saw him."

Though I was a fan of Fox TV series, this critic has to admit most of the episodes were downers; riveting but depressing. Harris injects something new, his witty sense of humor, into the franchise. Mulder and friends add to the black comedy, which helps the narrative flow at a lean pace. Music lovers will also catch the reference the antagonist makes to Frank's name.

In this installment, we also see a new version of Jordan in these pages. In Jordan's character modern design, Lorimer illustrates the character to look similar to Megan Gallagher, who played Catherine Black. Gone are the curly locks Brittany Tiplady had on the show as Jordan. Without the dialogue mentioning anything, Lorimer presents Jordan as if she's emotionally troubled though her facial expressions.

RATING: BUY IT NOW

A gripping page-turner, Millennium #3 will keep readers engaged till the very last page. With three issues out in stores already, the Millennium series has the right blend of substance and style.

Mstarz.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 1 Apr - 16:46

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 15 Apr - 16:22

IDW's 'Millennium' #4 Review: David Duchovny's Fox Mulder, Lance Henriksen's Frank Black Fight For Jordan

Due to the success of The X-Files: Season 10, IDW Publishing is on winning streak with the comic book adaptation of Chris Carter's Millennium. Frank Black (played by Lance Henriksen) and Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) fight to save Jordan's soul in the moody and eerie Millennium #4, by writer Joe Harris and artist Colin Lorimer.

Based on the the Millennium TV series, the comic book series picks up Frank's pursuit in stopping the Millennium Group after they have brought about the apocalypse. As we previously mentioned, the third issue ended on a major cliffhanger as Frank discovered the whereabouts of his estranged daughter. And now, we discover what the Millennium Group's plans are for the reunited father and daughter.

n our MStars interview, Harris revealed the process of adapting Frank's visions for comic book readers, "So I look for places where we'll use Frank Black's visions to expand on just what the mystery is. Who gets an exposition out of it because Frank, based on what he sees. He's also an expert profiler, so that's a big part of his toolbox and what he goes into. But, I think that just depicting these moments, there's a lot of back and forth that Colin [Lorimer] and Joana [Lafuente], the artists and colorists. I try to find the right take, the right pitch, the right composition, the right visual effects to really covey those moments so that they're just weird enough to feel like the show, without being confusing for people who have absolutely no idea what Millennium is."

Harris keeps the majority of the installment inside Jordan's perspective. Told through flashbacks, readers discover what happened to Jordan after the series finale. Even after the flashbacks are done, Harris keeps readers up-to-date through dialogue. The father and daughter dynamic is much more interesting now because we see how damaged Jordan has became since her mother's death.

Because Jordan also has Frank's gift, Larimer has a different style for Jordan's visions. Colorist Joana Lafuente adds to the surrealism by paining the images with a blue tone. In Jordan's flashbacks, the suspenseful atmosphere is heightened by the red undertones.

A riveting read, Millennium #4 continues at its suspenseful pace, leaving readers wanting more with its gripping cliffhanger.  

Mstarz.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 15 Apr - 16:27

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 3 Jun - 15:20

IDW's 'Millennium' #5 Review: David Duchovny/Fox Mulder, Lance Henriksen/Frank Black Epic Finale!

With the success of The X-Files: Season 10, IDW Publishing closes a major chapter in the comic book adaptation of Chris Carter's Millennium. Frank Black (played by Lance Henriksen) races against the clock to save Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) in the epic and chilling Millennium #5 finale, by writer Joe Harris and artist Colin Lorimer.

Based on the the Millennium TV series, the comic book series picks up Frank's pursuit in stopping the Millennium Group after they have brought about the apocalypse. As we previously mentioned, the fourth issue ended on a major cliffhanger as Frank discovered his estranged daughter, Jordan, is working willingly with the Millennium Group. Their reunion is put on hold as Mulder finds himself setup in a deadly trap.

In our MStars interview, Harris revealed the use of flashbacks within the narrative to fill in the blanks between the TV show and the comic book, "Some things have in fact gone wrong in the world that may in fact be attributable to Millennium. And a guy like Frank Black who's always right in the middle of both this overarching fanatic struggle between good and evil, he was also pursued by this Illuminati type group, the Millennium Group, and all of that has taken its toll."

Harris continued, "So we are seeing a Frank Black 15 years after we last saw him. I think that's just the way that's going to ring the truest with the readers. We will also see flashbacks, I believe, some point along, the way to a younger day, back to when we first met the character. There are things I'd like to do in general, is kind of play with the past and go between the stitches a little bit."

In the concluding installment, Harris pays homage to the Millennium pilot and does great service to the characters themselves. Bringing everything full circle, there are visual references to certain episodes told through flashbacks. Everything connects as Frank has to make a difficult choice, save Mulder or save his daughter?

Larimer plays around with angles and shadows, especially when Frank arrives at his climatic destination. In detailed closeups, Frank's facial expressions are tired and wrinkled, as if this supernatural war has taken a toll on his spirt. Colorist Joana Lafuente heightens the reading experience by painting the panels in surreal red and blue tones.

A riveting finale, Millennium #5 concludes with a satisfying open-ending. Joe Harris and Colin Larimer have done a great job bringing back Frank Black into the fold. They've captured what I love about Millennium, that I never want his adventure to end.

Mstarz.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 3 Jun - 15:24

jade1013