The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

Q&A - A Change of Tune

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Q&A - A Change of Tune

Post by sir on Wed 7 Jan - 11:39

A Change of Tune

Right after wrapping production on Aquariusóan NBC series premiering in 2015óDavid Duchovny turned to a very different project: finishing his debut album, dropping in March. Produced by local indie label ThinkSay Records and recorded at Somervilleís Q Division Studios, it features a backing band of Berklee grads, and Duchovny hit the school to speak with students during his December stay in town. But first, he riffed with us a bit in the studio.

YOUíRE KNOWN FOR YOUR ROLES ON THE X-FILES AND CALIFORNICATION, AND YOUíVE ALSO WRITTEN AND DIRECTED. BUT WHAT BROUGHT YOU TO MUSIC? I was on a path where I was working four months out of the year, which gave me a lot of time off. I was with my kids in the city, and they were in school all day. So I had a lot of time until 3 oíclock, and Iíd always wanted to play guitar. I started teaching myself, you know, looking up chords on the internet for songs that I like, and started playing them. And then I realized, oh hey, these songs are not reinventing anything. Itís rock and roll. So I thought, you know, why canít I do that? And lyrically I knew that I could hang because Iíve always written. Iíve written a lot of poetry and Iím sort of a mediocre poet, but I think mediocre poets make good lyricists.

AND HOW DID YOU CONNECT WITH THINKSAY? I started recording songs with Keaton Simons about a year and a half ago, or just writing songs and then recording them with Keaton in his garage.Ö I didnít expect anything to happen at all. And then Keaton was playing down at the City Winery in New York, probably about a year and two months ago. A year ago September. And I just went up there with a couple of my brothers and Keaton and sang one of my songs, and Brad [Davidson, president of ThinkSay] liked the vibe.... And he said, you know, do you have other songs? And do you have an album? Thatís ridiculous, sure. And we just worked from them. And Brad has been really pushing, pushing, pushing because I donít know the business at all, or at least the recording business.

SO WHO ARE YOUR MUSICAL INFLUENCES? I have music that I really like to listen to, but I wouldnít say that theyíre influences because Iím not that kind of musician. Iíd say the Beatles and the Stones, but I donít write that kind of music. Soóand not to say these other bands Iím going to mention in terms of what I hear as my sound are any easier than those guysóbut REM and Wilco, and maybe Tom Petty if Iím lucky and Lou Reed. These are great, great things. I donít want to say that theyíre influences or anything like that, but thatís some stuff that I like.

ARE THERE ANY THEMES THAT KEEP POPPING UP ON THE ALBUM? AND ANY SONGS THAT STAND OUT AS FAVORITES? The materialís very personal. But because itís personal itís universal. Itís always the more personal something is, the more universal it has a chance to be. Itís when you start trying to write something universal that itís weirdly personalÖ. I think ďHell or High WaterĒ is really strong. I think ďStarsĒ is a beautiful song. ďLet It RainĒ I always like to hear. We range from kind of ballads to rocking out a little bit. Three or four songs, weíre rockiní.

YOU ALSO HAVE A BOOK, HOLY COW, HITTING SHELVES IN FEBRUARY. I donít want to say itís a kidsí novel, I donít want to say itís an adult novel, and I donít want to say itís a young adult novel. But itís something of all those three. Itís kind of a book where I would hope parents could read it with their children, because thereís some stuff that kids arenít going to get, but itís a fable. Itís an allegory; itís about animals. Itís about a cow, a pig and a turkey.

AND WHAT ABOUT AQUARIUS?
I play a homicide detective whoís tangentially involved with Charles Manson before the murders. So itís an interesting show about America at a turning pointÖ. We may be at one right now too, so itís kind of timely.

ANY OTHER PLANS WHILE YOUíRE IN TOWN? Iím not going to do anything. This is going to take all my focus and energy. Because itís all so new to me and this is the one time we have to do this album, I want us to do everything we can to make it as good as we can. I spent some time in Bostonómy dad lived here for a whileóso I know it and I like it. But itís not really sightseeing weather.

Improper.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 100670
Your favorite David's role : Hank Moody and Fox Mulder
Registration date : 2007-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Q&A - A Change of Tune

Post by jade1013 on Wed 7 Jan - 11:40

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 108654
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cmacmd on Wed 7 Jan - 12:37

Thanks
cmacmd
The Rapture
The Rapture

Number of posts : 233
Your favorite David's role : Bob Rueland
Registration date : 2012-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arwen42 on Wed 7 Jan - 13:38

I take it when David says "a couple of his brothers" he means "bros" because he technically only has one brother I am aware of.

Also, it doesn't surprise me that David said that the material on his album is personal- I think that was obvious from the lyrics we have already seen.
Arwen42
Denial
Denial

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2013-07-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDuchess on Wed 7 Jan - 16:33

I can't wait
TheDuchess
Kalifornia