The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

Pop Culture meets the Extreme

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pop Culture meets the Extreme

Post by jade1013 on Mon 1 Jun - 21:00

Pop Culture meets the Extreme – Karina Longworth Dives into all Things Manson

Sasha Stone / June 1, 2015

[/url]

It seems Charlie Manson is all the rage now, thanks to the new series on NBC Aquarius with David Duchovny playing opposite Manson, who is all sexed up and like a character out of Dawson’s Creek. But if you really want to deep dive into what impact the Manson murders had on American culture, specifically southern Californian culture, look no further than You Must Remember This Podcast, a creation of film critic and writer Karina Longworth. While I’ll admit I hadn’t been listening to the podcast up to now, the new series got me hooked. Probably because it looks at the Manson murders from all possible angles – the film angle, the politics angle, how it changed things then, how it still has an impact now. Longworth knows her shit, which makes listening to it a full spectrum panorama of that time period.

Podcasts are all the rage now that Serial has remade the game, thus, one must always be on the hunt for the good ones that emerge in this wide open field where anyone can cook. You Must Remember This is one of the good ones. Check it out. Or subscribe on iTunes.

Sidenote: I grew up in Topanga canyon right about the time of the Manson murders. 1969-1970 I was only 4 or 5 years old but fully immersed in the world of all things flower children and hippies. I remember being so scared going to sleep at night after the murders. How do you even account for something like that? How do you even prepare for it if you’re Roman Polanski and Sharon Tate? Manson’s race war scheme, his brainwashed “girls.” It was unimaginable then and is unimaginable now.

Awards Daily

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 110307
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pop Culture meets the Extreme

Post by jade1013 on Mon 1 Jun - 21:15

You Must Remember This

with Karina Longworth

You Must Remember This is a storytelling podcast exploring the secret and/or forgotten histories of Hollywood’s first century. It’s the brainchild and passion project of Karina Longworth (founder of Cinematical.com, former film critic for LA Weekly), who writes, narrates, records and edits each episode. It is a heavily-researched work of creative nonfiction: navigating through conflicting reports, mythology, and institutionalized spin, Karina tries to sort out what really happened behind the films, stars and scandals of the 20th century. Want to know more? Click.

Episode #44: Charles Manson’s Hollywood, Part 1: What We Talk About When We Talk About The Manson Murders

May 26, 2015 · 35:28

This season, You Must Remember This will explore the murders committed in the summer of 1969 by followers of Charles Manson, and the Hollywood music and movie scene surrounding the killings. Throughout the series, we’ll learn how a single sociopath’s thwarted dreams of fame and fortune led to the gruesome events which became the symbolic “end of the sixties.” Future episodes will explore the various celebrities, musicians, movie stars and filmmakers (including Roman Polanski, Sharon Tate, The Beach Boys, Dennis Hopper, Doris Day and more) whose paths crossed with Manson’s in meaningful ways, both leading up to the murders and in their aftermath. Today, we’ll talk about what was going on in the show business capital that made Manson seem like a relatively normal guy. Then we’ll lay out the basic facts of who was killed, and how, in order to begin to explain how these unthinkable crimes fit in to the tapestry of one of the most tumultuous times in Hollywood history.

View image | gettyimages.com

Show Notes:

Welcome to our new season! This series will run a total of 11 weeks (I think; I’m still researching and writing) and will touch on topics as disparate as Doris Day and Michaelangelo Antonioni, Pet Sounds and Pink Flamingos. I became interested in these stories about a year ago, when I somehow found myself reading the obituary of Terry Melcher. Melcher had a really full Hollywood life, which we’ll talk about in one of these episodes, but the headline is that he was born to a teenage Doris Day, and 27 years later he became convinced he was the person the Manson family were really looking for the night they massacred everyone at Sharon Tate’s house. I knew Day and Melcher’s stories were enough to fill at least one episode; as I began researching Melcher’s connection to Manson, many, many other Hollywood stories began to emerge. I realized the story of Charles Manson and the murders he is responsible is really (or, also) the story of Hollywood and its mythology draining of hope, and I wanted to tell that story.

This should probably be obvious given the subject matter, but every single episode of this season is going to contain content and language that will probably be offensive to someone. Apologies in advance.

View image | gettyimages.com

Infinite Guest Podcast Network

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 110307
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pop Culture meets the Extreme

Post by sir on Tue 2 Jun - 3:29

Thanks

Thank you Maria!