The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

New Rochelle actor Chance Kelly's age of 'Aquarius'

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 12 Jun - 9:07

Kevin Phelan, kphelan@lohud.com 10:23 a.m. EDT June 12, 2015

New Rochelle-based actor Chance Kelly discusses 'Aquarius' and what the show has done to shirk conventional network television conventions. Kelly plays Detective Ed Cutler on the show.

Its fun to dress up in the old clothes and stuff and see the old cars, Kelly said.
(Photo: Vivian Zink/NBC)

It's the age of "Aquarius" for New Rochelle actor Chance Kelly.

He stars alongside David Duchovny on the NBC police drama, which is set in the late '60s and centers on the quest to stop Charles Manson and his deranged family.

"It's cool. It's fun to dress up in the old clothes and stuff and see the old cars," said Kelly, who grew up in Armonk before settling in New Rochelle. "The period thing is fun and it's funny because we shoot a lot of stuff right there on the Paramount lot, which is cool because Paramount has that look.

"It's got an older, classy type of feel to it. Just the structure of the buildings out there and the way things look out there, you feel like you're going back 30, 40 years."

While it's set in the past, Kelly, who plays a detective named Ed Cutler, said that change and cultural evolution play an integral part in the lore of the show.

"Duchovny and I both play veterans of World War II and we're veterans in this police department now," he said. "The philosophy and the mentalities of guys from our era, versus the kids in this show, their era the peace and love generation is very different.

"Change is a major component to the show, I think, just the concept of change. Of changing times and changing worlds and changing values."

It's fitting that Kelly stresses the import of change on the show, considering how NBC is experimenting with change itself. Bucking network television's traditional distribution strategy, NBC released the entire first season to stream for free online and on demand immediately after the first episode aired.

"It's very experimental. I think it was a bold move on their part. Nothing experimental is ever guaranteed. It's always some level of risk and trial and error but they're trying new things," Kelly said. "There's basically two types of TV viewers these days: The old-fashioned type that turn on the TV at 9 p.m. on Thursdays and watch the show for an hour, and then there's the new TV watchers where they do the on demand. By offering it up on demand, they're trying to crack into that viewership that otherwise might not watch the show."

Working with David Duchovny was was great. Hes really cool, Kelly said, adding, Hes a really down-to-earth guy. (Photo: Vivian Zink/NBC)

But that's not the only way the show is challenging the notion of traditional network television. Speaking to the entertainment website Indiewire in May, both the show's creator, John McNamara, and Duchovny confirmed there are two versions of each episode: a network-friendly version and a much more risque version to be released later.

"The version you'll see on NBC is sexual. The version you'll see on iTunes is NC-17," McNamara told the site.

Kelly said that he wasn't made aware of that as they were filming, but that, "I do remember a couple of scenes where I was like, 'Are you sure you can show that on TV?' And we kind of got a mixed answer."

"My sense of it was that the network was behind the show and was willing to try these various things," he said. "Again, it goes toward trying to bridge or trying to harness those very disparate, very different audiences. There's the cable, binge-watching audience and then there's the 9 p.m. on Thursday night audience."

Working with Duchovny, Kelly said, "was great. He's really cool. He's a really down-to-earth guy. And he's an executive producer, so he's also one of the bosses, but he doesn't act like that.

"He was always just about facilitating everyone doing their best work and being content and moving things along. He's very easy to work next to. He never gives off that 'I'm hot stuff' vibe."

Kelly is unsure of whether or not "Aquarius" will get picked up for a second season, but he's optimistic. Laughing, Kelly said he's happy his character even made it this far, since many of the roles he plays are often killed off early in a project's storyline.

"They seem to like to take me, beat me up, create the drama of me fighting back and then getting rid of me at one point or another. Whether that means killing me or sending me off to Siberia or giving me terminal cancer," Kelly joked.

"But thankfully, these folks liked the character that I play and where he was going in the storyline. And, at least for the foreseeable future, they don't seem to have any plans to kill him."

The show airs at 9 p.m. Thursday nights on NBC and the entire first season will be available on demand and on nbc.com through June 25.

lohud.com

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 109983
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Rochelle actor Chance Kelly's age of 'Aquarius'

Post by sir on Fri 12 Jun - 9:10

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir