The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

The {C} Interview: Spencer Garrett of NBC’s AQUARIUS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 7 Aug - 21:35

Brenda Clemons
July 2, 2015

Spencer Garrett has appeared in many of Hollywood’s most popular franchises, including PUBLIC ENEMIES, TRANSORMERS 2, CHARLIE WILSON’S WAR, CSI, and MAD MEN. He is currently working on four projects: the NBC series AQUARIUS, the new ABC fall series OIL, USA’s SATISFACTION, STARZ’ SURVIVOR’S REMORSE and TNT’s MURDER IN THE FIRST. Needless to say, Spencer Garrett is a very busy man. So, it is an honor that he took the time out to talk to {C} about his latest projects, working with Michael Mann, and his love of acting.

{C}What is the worst acting job you have ever had?

“Wow, that’s a tough one right off the bat! Worst gig? Well, I’m not going to name the project…out of respect for the idiot who came up with the idea to shoot in

Minnesota…on a frozen river… in February… but let’s just say it was so cold out I had to wear a wetsuit under my clothes and the simulated rainstorm made it even colder. The whole crew got sick, and if you look closely you can see my teeth chattering in just about every scene. That was fun.”

{C} How is acting on stage different than acting on camera?

“Nothing like the buzz – and sometimes danger – of performing live on stage in front of an audience. You have the joy and luxury of making mistakes and experimenting while it’s happening. There’s really no better feeling. On camera there’s a bit more pressure to get it right in a take or two. Not much rehearsal time, especially in indie films or guest spots.

It’s done…in the can…and you move on. A different animal altogether. A different kind of thrill. But if you’re throwing down with actors who are game, with material that soars, the results can be just as sweet. “

{C} PUBLIC ENEMIES and AQUARIUS are fictional accounts of real people. Are there certain challenges to this? Is there a need to be true to the real person, as far as how they are portrayed, story lines being historically correct, etc.?

“With PUBLIC ENEMIES I felt an obligation to get Tommy Carroll right. It was my first time up to bat with Michael Mann and I came in prepared, with as much background intel on the character as I could find… which was very little other than a few snippets online and the brief descriptions of him in Bryan Burrough’s book. Little did I know that, when I got to set, his research team had prepared a full bio and dossier on Tommy – which was extraordinary; no one does detail like Michael – so I had a good deal more to chew on. Once I had done my homework the rest was up to me to have fun creating the character from the outside in. With AQUARIUS, Banyin is essentially a composite of several types so I was allowed to make him my own. There’s great freedom when the writers trust you to do your thing. That being said, I always feel a need to be true to the real person, to honor their character without judgement. I am, however, really glad Hal Banyin isn’t based on a real guy!”

{C} You have so much going on at once; is it hard to switch characters from one job to the next?

“It’s funny, I get asked that a lot! So far, I haven’t mixed up any of Victor from SATISFACTION lines with Banyin’s or Beckwith’s from SURVIVOR’S REMORSE. They’re all vastly different. But it’s still early in the summer. You never know what might come out of my mouth after a 17 hour day.”

{C} Why are indie films so sought after by actors?

“For me, indie films are like doing a great, off-Broadway play. You have a small community of filmmakers and actors, crew, wardrobe, d.p. – all with one goal: to put on a kick-ass show in a SHORT period of time with very little money and limited resources. There is a sense of family that exists on an independent film set much like that in the theatre. That vibe is just hard to come by on big budget films, but the chow IS better!”

{C} Is there any type of character that you would like to play but haven’t had the opportunity to?

“I would LOVE to play a Francis Underwood type, aka Spacey in House of Cards. I think

I’ve had enough practice with corrupt politicians and morally bankrupt CEO’s and lawyers. That kind of a role is just delicious and so purely Shakespearean. Hopefully that great role is out there waiting.”

{C} You have worked with Michael Mann twice. Is there a special bond between the two of you?

“I’ve worked for Michael three times – PUBLIC ENEMIES, HBO’s LUCK with DustinHoffman and, most recently, BLACKHAT. I have so much love for the man and the fact that I grew up on his films and have had the opportunity to work with him has been kind of a dream come true. He’s tough. Not a warm and fuzzy dude but a terribly hard worker who demands the best from all around him. I think he liked what I did on PUBLIC ENEMIES and appreciated my work ethic and, I hope, sense of humor. He has a lot to do with why I’m here answering these questions. PUBLIC ENEMIES changed the flight pattern of my life and career. “

{C} How do you balance your professional life with your personal life?

“I try to strike a good balance. I love working on film and theatre sets more than anything. Work drives me. So when I get some good down time I go to D.C. and decompress with my girlfriend, Dana, who lives there with her four year old son, Jonah. She’s a political reporter and her world is vastly different than mine. I’m a political junkie so it’s terribly refreshing to land there and NOT talk about the business, but about what’s going down up on The Hill. They are my home base and my rock. “

{C} What makes for an interesting interview? Do you yawn when doing these things? What types of questions would challenge you and keep you engaged in the conversation?

“I love talking about the process of working and I am thrilled to just be in the ballgame, so these things don’t bore me a bit!”

{C} Are you sentimental? Do you keep mementos from work?

“I save everything – it’s bananas!  I’m sentimental to a fault, I suppose. But my actor grandfather and my actress mom are the same way. It’s a way of reconnecting to good memories from your past. I have scripts and neckties and White House coasters from AIR FORCE ONE and director’s chair backs from jobs going back almost 30 years, which is a little silly. Come to think of it, I just moved to a new home. Might be time to sift through some of those souvenirs and get rid of some of the ballast. Hopefully there are many more miles to go on this journey. Never hurts to lighten the load.”

The {C} Magazine[/i]

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 110308
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The {C} Interview: Spencer Garrett of NBC’s AQUARIUS

Post by sir on Sat 8 Aug - 3:22

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir