The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

IDW to Publish 'X-Files' Deviation Story

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 11 Dec - 20:48

Written by Roileigh Ollson | Managing Editor
   Published: 12 December 2015

IDW Publishing is hard at work on Season 11 of The X-Files comics, but coming this March, there will be another issue for Philes to collect. Deviations is a five-week event that will bring stories that ask, "What if...?". The series will feature:

...stories that have led to fun fan debates over what might have happened if a big event had gone another way, whether in past comics, TV series, or movies. So this is taking a big, fan-favorite moment and spinning that story in another direction to explore what could’ve been.

The X-Files deviation will take place "in a world where young Fox Mulder was abducted by aliens". So it seems that Samantha is the lucky sibling this time around. It should be interesting to see how this affects the series' mythology.

Also coming soon from IDW is the expansion pack for The X-Files Board Game from IDW Games, so stay tuned for more on that in the near future!

XFILES.NEWS

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 110171
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: IDW to Publish 'X-Files' Deviation Story

Post by sir on Sat 12 Dec - 1:17

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 100670
Your favorite David's role : Hank Moody and Fox Mulder
Registration date : 2007-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Mon 14 Dec - 7:53

New 'What If?' comics to explore if Mulder was abducted by aliens, if the TMNT join Shredder

Trent Moore
Mon, Dec 14, 2015 9:53am

Though Marvel and DC remain the Big Two comic publishers, IDW is putting out some excellent series based on some popular classic franchises. Next up: Some “What If?” spinoffs focused on everything from The X-Files to Ghostbusters.

Dubbed “Deviations,” the five separate series will focus on the Ghostbusters, G.I. Joe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Transformers and The X-Files. Following the classic “What If?” model, the issues will focus on some critical story moments that would fundamentally change each comic universe. From Mulder getting abducted by aliens, to the Ninja Turtles joining up with Shredder, the “Deviations” series aims to explore some fascinating alt-realities.

Here are the plot jumping off points for each series:

Ghostbusters: “In a world… where the Ghostbusters NEVER crossed streams!”
G.I. JOE: “In a world… where COBRA turns the table on G.I. JOE.”
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: “In a world… where Shredder leads the Turtles.”
Transformers: “In a world… where Optimus Prime never died!”
The X-Files: “In a world… where young Fox Mulder was abducted by aliens!”

Check out some cover art for the issues below, ahead of the debuts in March 2016.

Blastr

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Mon 14 Dec - 7:54

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Mon 14 Dec - 10:54

IDW Explores Alternate Timelines In Deviations - The Five-Week Event Arrives In March - Official Press Release

By BaCon on Monday, December 14, 2015

IDW Explores Alternate Timelines In ‘Deviations’!
The Five-Week Event Arrives In March

San Diego, CA (December 14, 2015) – In a world where the Ghostbusters never crossed streams to save New York… In a world where Shredder was the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ sensei… In a world where all your expectations are turned upside down—welcome to the world of Deviations, a weekly event series featuring alternate takes on some of IDW’s most popular books!

Starting with the Ghostbusters, readers will be taken to alternate realities of some of the most iconic heroes in comics with weekly one-shots that each highlight a different series. G.I. JOE will follow in the second week, exploring what would happen if COBRA finally won. The TRANSFORMERS comes next, looking at what the implications would be if OPTIMUS PRIME never died! Then, in X-Files Deviations, having been abducted by aliens, Fox Mulder never returned… and finally, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles one-shot will round out the event.

“When one moment changes,” said Chris Ryall, IDW Editor in Chief, “whole universes alter forever. We’re asking the questions fans have been pondering for years—and now we’ll see some answers."

Both new and familiar faces will make their mark on this warped series as newcomers to the titles join fan-favorite creators!

In Ghostbusters Deviations, Kelly Thompson(Jem and the Holograms) teams up with artist Nelson Daniel (Judge Dredd).

Paul Allor returns to G.I. Joe, with artwork by Corey Lewis (Sharknife).

TRANSFORMERS Deviations welcomes Brandon Easton (Andre the Giant: Closer to Heaven) alongside Transformers: Robots in Disguise artist Priscilla Tramontano.

Amy Chu (Sensation Comics: Wonder Woman) explores The X-Files alongside Elena Casagrande (Doctor Who) and Silvia Califano (The X-Files: Season 10) on art.

Finally Tom Waltz (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) leads Zach Howard (Wild Blue Yonder) into the sewers for the TMNT Deviations.

Look for all five Deviations in your comic shop and online every week in March!

About IDW

IDW Publishing is an award-winning publisher of comic books, graphic novels and trade paperbacks, based in San Diego, California. Renowned for its diverse catalog of licensed and independent titles, IDW publishes some of the most successful and popular titles in the industry, including: Hasbro’s The TRANSFORMERS, G.I. JOE, MY LITTLE PONY and JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS; Paramount/CBS’s Star Trek; Nickelodeon’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles; Toho’s Godzilla; Twentieth Century Fox’s The X-Files; Sony’s Ghostbusters, Temple Street Productions’ Orphan Black; multiple monthly DISNEY titles; and many more licensed and creator-driven titles.

IDW Publishing is also home to acclaimed imprints such as; The Library of American Comics, which publishes classic comic reprints; Yoe! Books, a partnership with Yoe! Studio; and the multiple award-winning IDW Artist’s Edition line. In 2015, IDW acquired Top Shelf Productions, an award-winning publisher of graphic novels. Top Shelf is known for publishing works of literary sophistication, including the #1 New York Times and Washington Post Best Seller March by Congressman John Lewis, Andrew Aydin and Nate Powell and the authorized graphic-novel adaptation of Hunter S. Thompson’s Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

IDW Games publishes both creator-owned and licensed tabletop games. The division was launched in 2014 and has quickly found success with one of the top-selling card games of the year with the Award-Winning Japanese import card game, Machi Koro.

IDW Entertainment was started in 2013 to fund, develop, and produce television series based on IDW properties. IDW Entertainment is currently in development with a slate of properties for television including Wynonna Earp, licensed to Syfy and premiering in early 2016; Brooklyn Animal Control, sold to USA Network with executive producers David Goyer (DaVinci’s Demons, Dark Knight Rises) and Circle of Confusion (Walking Dead); and Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency, sold to BBC America with writer/executive producer Max Landis (Chronicle).

IDW Entertainment also has several active theatrical projects in development, including Zombies vs. Robots, which is in development as a major motion picture with Michael Bay’s Platinum Dunes and Sony.

We are dedicated to being to be the best resource for all your Transformers news and reviews every day. Keep your browser dialed to Tformers.com for updates as they happen.

TFormers

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Mon 14 Dec - 10:56

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 16 Dec - 22:06

X-Files Deviation in March

Written by Sandman
Dec 16, 2015

From IDW Publishing.

One-Shot

In a world where young Fox Mulder was abducted by aliens and never returned, another Mulder takes up the crusade against deception! Meet Samantha Mulder, a believer who won’t stop until she finds out the truth about her brother!

Written by Amy Chu and art by Elena Casagrande and Silvia Califano with covers by Cat Staggs and Gordon Purcell.

Horror News Network

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Thu 17 Dec - 1:19

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Fri 18 Dec - 14:57

Ghostbusters and The X-Files Take Part in Deviations

Category: News
Published: Friday, 18 December 2015
Written by James Ferguson

GHOSTBUSTERS AND THE X-FILES TAKE PART IN DEVIATIONS

Some of the best stories seen in comics have been ones that were completely out of continuity.  Marvel has What If?  DC has Elseworlds.  These are areas where creators can tell a story without being bogged down by decades of history.  This is how we got things like the Punisher as Venom and Superman as a Communist.  This March, IDW Publishing is joining the fray with Deviations, a 5 week event running through Ghostbusters, G.I.Joe, Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and The X-Files.  Each book changes one thing about the background we're familiar with and shows how it unravels everything around it.  

Ghostbusters Deviations, written by Kelly Thompson and illustrated by Nelson Daniel, takes place in a world where the team never crossed their streams to save New York.  TMNT has Shredder as a sensei instead of Splinter.  G.I.Joe features COBRA finally winning the fight.  Transformers has Optimus Prime never dying.  X-Files, from writer Amy Chu and artists Elena Casagrande and Silvia Califano shows Fox Mulder being abducted by aliens and never returning.  

“When one moment changes,” said Chris Ryall, IDW Editor in Chief, “whole universes alter forever. We’re asking the questions fans have been pondering for years—and now we’ll see some answer

I'm honestly looking forward to all of these, even G.I.Joe, which I don't know much about.  I love thse alternate timeline stories.

Horrortalk.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Fri 18 Dec - 14:59

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 2 Mar - 21:12

The X-Files Deviations One Shot Gordon Purcell Cover

Gordon Purcell Cover

In a world where young Fox Mulder was abducted by aliens and never returned, another Mulder takes up the crusade against deception! Meet Samantha Mulder, a believer who won't stop until she finds out the truth about her brother!

$8.00

Comics Etc

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Thu 3 Mar - 2:18

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Sun 6 Mar - 6:00

Story by    Amy Chu
Art by    Elena Casagrande, Silvia Califano
Colors by    Arianna Florean
Letters by    Robbie Robbins
Cover by    Cat Staggs, Gordon Purcell, Monica Kubina
Publisher    IDW

Cover Price:   $4.99
Release Date    Mar 9th, 2016

In a world where young Fox Mulder was abducted by aliens and never returned, another Mulder takes up the crusade against deception! Meet Samantha Mulder, a believer who won’t stop until she finds out the truth about her brother!

Comic Book Resources

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Sun 6 Mar - 6:02

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Mon 7 Mar - 15:39

HOT PICKS! On Sale This Week!

X-Files: Deviations, IDW Publishing. This “What If?” tale about a world where Mulder was the one kidnapped by aliens, with his sister Samantha taking his place as the one searching for the Truth Out There, will be worth buying just for the artwork by my longtime partner-in-crime Elena Casagrande. Check it out, won’t you?

13thdimension.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Mon 7 Mar - 15:45

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 9 Mar - 10:57

'The X-Files Deviations' swaps the Mulder siblings' fates

What would happen if FBI agent Fox Mulder switched places with his sister Samantha? What if he was the one abducted by aliens as a child?

That's exactly what happens in "The X-Files Deviations," a one-shot comic from IDW Publishing.

The comic is set in a world where a young Fox Mulder was abducted by aliens and never returned, says IDW. Samantha Mulder takes up the "crusade against deception" and won't stop until she finds out the truth about her brother.

"Samantha follows the same FBI career path and obsessions as Fox, but not in exactly the same way," writer Amy Chu told CNET.

The 40-page comic is written by Chu, with art from Elena Casagrande and Silvia Califano. The cover art is by Cat Staggs, and the variant cover is by classic "X-Files" artist Gordon Purcell.

When Chu was asked to write this alternative universe where Samantha was obsessed with UFOs and finding her brother Fox, she took a closer look at what it's like to be a woman working at the FBI.

"I did some research into real life female FBI agents which was very enlightening," Chu told CNET. "Samantha might be similar to Fox but being a woman in a historically male field or institution is very different. Samantha has more of a chip on her shoulder than Fox, for example. And when you have two women partnered up in a male dominated environment, the dynamics are going to change for sure."

While Mulder's role is now played by his sister, Scully wasn't gender-swapped as well. She's still the same Dana Scully who tries to keep Mulder focused and grounded at the task at hand.

"We thought it would be interesting to explore an all female team up," Chu told CNET. "Still, an intriguing concept if we gender swapped everyone. I would love to see Skinner as a woman."

Drawing a comic where the gender roles are reversed is an interesting experience for Casagrande as well.

"The character will react or move differently, but in some ways you just know what she will do," Casagrande told CNET. "I like the idea of seeing how the two women interact differently."

AMAZING ART SHOWS 'THE X-FILES' IN A WHOLE...

Of course, it wouldn't be a true "X-Files" comic without a few hidden messages and Easter eggs.

"The readers should pay attention to the walls of the different locations," Casagrande told CNET. "The only Easter egg I can spoil now is that the missing people on the map in Sam's office are me, Silvia, and our boyfriends."

"I made our editor happy by planting a little Bowie reference in there," Chu added.

"The X-Files Deviations" retails for $5 and is available at your local comic shop March 9.

Cnet.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 9 Mar - 11:12

Review: The X-Files "Deviations"

Throughout March, a number of IDW comics titles are releasing one-shot comics under the umbrella, “Deviations.” These titles explore alternative universes in which a single, fundamental change has occurred from the reality we all know: what if the Ghostbusters never crossed the streams? What if COBRA finally won against G.I. JOE? The X-Files is another of the titles joining in the "Deviations" fun, with “Time and Being” exploring a world in which Fox Mulder was abducted instead of Samantha. Read after the jump for our full review.

“Time and Being” is an interesting concept for an X-Files alternative universe as it changes one of the most fundamental aspects of the show’s reality. The story focuses on Samantha Mulder and Scully’s first meeting when Scully is assigned to the X-Files division at the FBI. To the author’s credit, this is not a simple re-write of the TV show pilot, although there are some definite nods to that, especially during their first meeting down in the basement. Instead, their first case together sees them investigate a series of missing teenagers who have vanished over the last 20 years.

The investigation goes well, if apparently unfruitfuly, until they reach the very last house which Samantha soon reveals was her childhood home. At this point we get yet another flashback to the night of November 23rd, 1973, but with a significant twist. Rather than having Fox’s abduction play out exactly the same as Samantha’s, it begins in exactly the same way as we have seen multiple times before: the Stratego game, the blinding white light, Samantha floating in mid air by the window. However, this time, when she cries out for help, Fox isn’t frozen and instead grabs hold of her and gets her to hide under the bed. When she opens her eyes, the light, and her brother, are gone. It’s a tragic little twist, Mulder finally gets to save his sister that night - the thing he has been beating himself up over for decades come the original series - but only at enormous cost to himself.

After Samantha is finished recounting her story to Scully, the pair spot a shady figure standing in the garden of the old Mulder house. They chase him into the woods but lose him in the dark. Sitting on a log (what is it with meaningful conversation on logs this year?), Samantha admits that she’s glad to have come back to her old house and that she thinks she’s “going to enjoy working with.. Dana”.

Deviations 2The story ends on a final twist, in which the identity of the shadowy figure is revealed. Although not much of a surprise in and of itself (a lanky guy who’s about 6ft tall and a runner - now who could that be?) what is not as expected is the revelation of who is waiting for him on the other side of the woods. The final pages suggest that Fox, like Samantha, was raised by the Smoking Man, only he lived to adulthood. Whether or not he is now working with Spender is unclear, but they are clearly close enough to have tailed the two agents to the old house together. This scene alone is more than enough for me to want this issue expanded into another mini-series rather than a single one-shot issue.

Although really enjoyable, I felt that the story was often somewhat rushed, even though there wasn’t a huge amount of it to begin with. Samantha literally opens her first conversation with Scully by asking her if she “believes in extraterrestrials”, and within a single page, they’re already in a car and off investigating. There’s none of the gentle, introductory banter that made the original meeting scene on TV 24 years ago so memorable - instead, we get, “believe in aliens? No? Let’s go investigate some missing kids” all in the space of a breath, and the pairing loses something in that.

Scully also felt completely out of character at times. As much as this is meant to be an alternate universe and thus some leeway on characters has to be given, having a newbie FBI agent shout “what? Are you serious?” in the face of the director (apparently in this AU Blevins got himself a promotion) makes her sound like a petulant teenager rather than the 28-year-old woman she is at this point. Not to mention that such behavior would probably result in her facing disciplinary action if this were reality! She’s not the only one acting this way either. In the few pages where we see the adult Fox, he too comes across as a petulant teen, turning to the Smoking Man with a disdainful, “stop lecturing me. You’re not my dad.” Not exactly what you’d expect to hear from a 30-year-old man.

It’s also great to see an X-Files comic created by a nearly all-female team, with the story, illustration, and colors all done by women. Overall, I really enjoyed this one-shot, and would love to read more from the same universe. Is Fox really working for the Smoking Man? Will Samantha and Dana end up investigating the same cases that we saw on the show or different ones? Will she and Sam develop the same bond over the years, perhaps even a romance? Or perhaps could things get twisted up even more by having Dana develop the same connection she has to Fox, even though he works for the Syndicate? The possibilities are endless

Xfilesnews

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 9 Mar - 11:14

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 9 Mar - 14:08

'The X-Files: Deviations' #1 Review: Gillian Anderson's Dana Scully One-Shot Comic Book!

By Jorge Solis (j.solis@mstarsnews.com) | Mar 09, 2016 04:00 PM EST

(Photo : IDW Publishing)

IDW Publishing continues their investigations with the paranormal in The X-Files: Deviations #1. FBI agent Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) takes the first issue reins of this one-shot comic book from writer Amy Chu and artists Elena Casagrande and Silvia Califano

As we previously mentioned, we all know the origin story of Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Anderson). When he was a young boy, Fox witnessed the alien abduction of his sister, Samantha. Even though he became a laughingstock, Mulder worked up the ranks of the FBI to create The X-Files program. The Cigarette-Smoking Man and other government officials hired Scully to use her knowledge of science and discredit The X-Files.

Writer Amy Chu deviates (see what I did there) from the origin tale and switches gender. Instead of Samantha being kidnapped, it's actually Mulder who happens to be taken away. Samantha works tirelessly to find out what happened to her missing brother. I loved how Chu puts in the famous lines from the pilot and has Samantha say them now. Chu captures the chemistry right away between Samantha and Dana through their witty dialogue.

Because the script presents a younger Scully, artists Elena Casagrande and Silvia Califano aren't focused to the exact details of Anderson's facial features. Scully is more expressive and vibrant, thanks to the colors by Arianna Florean. Even though there are two illustrators, I couldn't really tell who did what. Maybe that's the point because the drawings felt very fluid. 

After the quick introduction, the story moves away from pilot. The premise feels fresh and new as Samantha and Dana jump into their first case together. 

RATING: SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

If you need a fixing after the Revival finale of The X-Files, this is definitely what you need. After establishing its premiere I can't wait to see what happens next after The X-Files: Deviations #1.

Mstars

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 9 Mar - 14:23

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Thu 10 Mar - 3:24

X-FILES: DEVIATIONS #1 REVIEW

This week brings us the first in what will (hopefully) be a series of one-shot anthologies exploring alternate versions of The X-Files mythology. This issue tackles a tantalizing scenario where Fox Mulder was abducted decades ago instead of his sister Samantha

Is it good?

The X-Files: Deviations #1 (IDW Publishing)

Freaking hippies. That’s what you get for running in platform shoes.

This all seems very familiar.
Like, super duper familiar.
Not surprisingly, Samantha behaves a lot like Mulder—but with a much better sense of focus.
No matter who gets taken, that abduction scene still breaks my heart ☹
I like Samantha Mulder and Dana Scully working together.
Wait…what?
Is It Good?

I was pretty excited when I heard Amy Chu was writing this. Unfortunately, the great chemistry she builds between Scully and (Samantha) Mulder is bogged down by a painfully generic narrative.

Samantha is different from Mulder, but not enough to warrant much of a story. And then we have the ‘twist’ ending, which is more random than shocking. I guess it could have been a great springboard for a story arc, but as a one-shot, it feels depressingly lame.

One thing that saves this issue from being a complete disaster is the artwork by Elena Casagrande and Silvia Califano. In addition to the beautiful pencils, their paneling on each page is exceptionally well done. There’s also a great two-page spread with Scully/Mulder’s investigation charted over a map of their various stops and pathways.

This is a great creative team that I would love to see do another Deviation issue. This one, however, made me wish for an alternate timeline where the book gets rewritten with a story that lives up to its compelling premise and potential.

The artwork by Elena Casagrande and Silvia Califano is superb.

So is the paneling on each page.

Despite some great chemistry between the two main characters, the story by Amy Chu is painfully generic.
The 'twist' ending is more random than shocking.

4.5 Average

Adventuresinpportaste.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Thu 10 Mar - 3:37