The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

THE X-FILES #1 - Active Shooter

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

THE X-FILES #1 - Active Shooter

Post by jade1013 on Fri 15 Jan - 15:55

Exclusive: IDW Reveals X-FILES Cover for Art Appreciation Month

by Mat 'Inferiorego' Elfring on January 15, 2016

Get a look at this cover for April.

This April, IDW is celebrating "Art Appreciation Month" with variant covers that pay homage to famous pieces of art. The company gave us an exclusive look at the cover to their brand new X-FILES series, drawn by Miran Kim.

Stay tuned for more covers from IDW's art appreciation month and check out this X-FILES series hitting comic stores this April. What do you think about this upcoming themed cover month?

Comic Vine

Last edited by jade1013 on Sun 22 May - 15:58; edited 4 times in total

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 110171
Registration date : 2007-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: THE X-FILES #1 - Active Shooter

Post by sir on Fri 15 Jan - 16:05

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 100670
Your favorite David's role : Hank Moody and Fox Mulder
Registration date : 2007-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New first issue. Fresh series: THE X-FILES #1!

Post by sir on Wed 20 Jan - 7:28

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 20 Jan - 7:33

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 20 Jan - 7:35

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duchovny on Wed 20 Jan - 7:48

thanks
Duchovny
Phantom
Phantom

Number of posts : 16801
Emploi : Housewife
Your favorite David's role : Fox Mulder
Registration date : 2011-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

THE X-FILES #1

Post by jade1013 on Thu 18 Feb - 10:28

Coming This April

January 20, 2016

With THE X-FILES: SEASON 11 taking an abbreviated bow with Issue #8, and hot on the heels of THE X-FILES returning to FOX for a six-episode run (starting this weekend), my third series chronicling the adventures of Agents Mulder and Scully will kick off with a fresh first issue in THE X-FILES #1 (and holy crap, look at those covers!)…

Joe Harris (w) • Matthew Dow Smith (a) • menton3 (c)
Thirteen years after the original series run, THE X-FILES has enjoyed a momentous return to television in a thrilling event series from creator/executive producer Chris Carter. Now, with the participation of Carter, IDW Publishing is proud to bring to comics the continuing adventures of iconic FBI Agents FOX MULDER and DANA SCULLY!
FC • 40 pages • $4.99

The X-Files #1 — Photo Variant
Joe Harris (w) • Matthew Dow Smith (a) • photo (c)
FC • 40 pages • $4.99

The X-Files # 1 — Art Appreciation Variant
Joe Harris (w) • Matthew Dow Smith (a) • Miran Kim (c)
FC • 40 pages • $4.99
•Executive produced by The X-Files creator Chris Carter!
•Based on the show, which has returned to television!
•The new ongoing series starts HERE!
•Featuring a 2016 photo cover from the brand new show!
•Ask your retailer about the variant cover by Miran Kim!
•Part of IDW’s “Art Appreciation Month” promotion!

Joe Harris

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Thu 18 Feb - 10:30

Thanks

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 23 Mar - 7:15

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 23 Mar - 7:15

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 23 Mar - 7:28

THE X-FILES #1 Fried Pie Variant - Exclusive

by Tony 'G-Man' Guerrero on March 23, 2016

Check out the cover by Carlos Valenzuela for a new series based on the TV show.
There's a new X-Files comic series starting up in April. Written by Joe Harris with art by Matthew Dow Smith, the series will follow the new TV series and is executive produced by series creator, Chris Carter.

IDW Publishing has given us a first look at the Fried Pie variant for Books-A-Million with art by Carlos Valenzuela.

The X-Files #1
Joe Harris (w) • Matthew Dow Smith (a) • Carlos Valenzuela (c)

Thirteen years after the original series run, THE X-FILES has enjoyed a momentous return to television in a thrilling event series from creator/executive producer Chris Carter. Now, with the participation of Carter, IDW Publishing is proud to bring to comics the continuing adventures of iconic FBI Agents FOX MULDER and DANA SCULLY!

Comicvine.gamespot

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 23 Mar - 7:28

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Thu 31 Mar - 11:22

Here is my exclusive variant cover of issue #1 for the new 'The X-Files' series starting up in April, from IDW Publishing.

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Thu 31 Mar - 11:31

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Tue 26 Apr - 4:19

Tomorrow is new X-Files #1 day!

The X-Files #1

Joe Harris (w) • Matthew Dow Smith (a), Jordie Bellaire (colours) • menton3 (c)

FC • 40 pages • $4.99

Joe Harris

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 26 Apr - 4:20

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Tue 26 Apr - 9:40

X-Files writer Joe Harris on Mulder and Scully's eerie encounters in IDW's new comic series + 5-page preview

With the recent resurgence of The X-Files after Chris Carter's winter miniseries triumphantly invaded the airwaves following a 13-year absence, interest in the mysterious cases of Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully has reached pandemic levels once again.  To keep the momentum rolling until their proposed return to television, IDW Publishing has partnered up with X-Files creator and executive producer Chris Carter to produce a new comic book series to chronicle their amazing misadventures.  Written by Joe Harris (X-Files: Season 10, X-Files: Season 11, Millennium), with calculating, cinematic art by Matthew Dow Smith (X-Files: Season 10, X-Files: Season 11), this ongoing series picks up many months after the cliffhanger ending from February's TV finale.

Blastr cornered writer Joe Harris and got the jump on the paranormal mission parameters for his X-Files "sidecar experience" while the TV show is on hiatus, working with the mad genius of Chris Carter, mining Mulder and Scully's family history, the status of the Spartan virus, whether we'll see "Baby" William Scully and what showcase of characters and conspiracies from X-Files' past might pop up in the pages.

Have a read of Harris' truthful treatise on the upcoming series and check out our exclusive 5-page preview in the gallery below and tell us if you believe you're bound to abduct IDW's X-Files #1 when it hits stores on April 27th.

How did this latest X-Files comic-book project come about?

We were actually prepping the previous, The X-Files: Season 11 series, which followed over two years’ worth of Season 10 comics, when we got word that the show was coming back to FOX as a 6-episode event...which caused us to rethink the comics' direction going forward.

When I started writing The X-Files: Season 10, back in 2013, we were the only game in town. The franchise was about to celebrate its 20th Anniversary, and we proved there was an appetite for more X-Files after things had been pretty quiet on the tie-in end for a while. We had over two years of Mulder and Scully to ourselves, and our long addition to the "Mytharc" had ended really strong with a great cliffhanger and a new established super-foil for our heroes...and I had plotted out another two year-long arc for Season 11...but with The X-Files returning to television, we knew it undercut our canonicity and rationale a little. So, we decided we'd relaunch with a straight up, The X-Files series with the same creative team that's got Matthew Dow Smith back on art and the oft Eisner-nominated Jordie Bellaire still coloring and making everything pretty.

Give us a taste of what this new series hopes to accomplish and if the story picks up after that crazy TV cliffhanger or not.

We're telling our own stories set some time after Agents Mulder and Scully's return to the FBI and the X-Files. We're going to be independent in what we do, but referential where we can be.

With the old series, we established what I thought was a pretty good formula of telling multi-part "Mytharc" stories -- that took from, and added to, the long and winding conspiracy storyline involving Earth's once and future alien conquerors, their secret collaborators and the United States government's complicity -- or benign neglect, if you will -- related to it all, followed by what we've dubbed "Monster of the Month," shorter stories and character spotlight issues. We're going to turn that inside out a bit on this new title, but ultimately get to the same thing with their initially being a focus on shorter, "monster" stories, with what I'm hopeful is going to be seen as a cool surprise of a "mythology" storyline that brings some forgotten but unfinished business from Mulder and Scully's, and the old Syndicate's, past back to the fore beginning in issue #6 this fall. We're not touching that cliffhanger. That's for the TV audience to see resolved.

What aspects of this year's X-Files TV mini-series did you respond to the most?

I want to say the brilliantly written, executed and performed "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-monster" episode by Darin Morgan, because it really was an instant classic. But I'm going to say the overall continued connection these characters have with one another, and the audience both old and new. You see it in the actors' portrayals and the vision of Chris Carter. They made icons together, those icons endure, and to see it all up and walking and talking again was just a thrill.

Writing Mulder and Scully in IDW's X-Files Season 10 and Season 11, what inspired you to to resurrect them on the page again?

With the exception of the soft-reboot of the comics line, and a tweaked premise given the new TV of it all, I think the same things inspire me that have from the beginning of this gig. I pay a lot of attention to current events, politics, geopolitics, economic trends and scientific discoveries--to say nothing of the weird, the unexplained, and the cynically corrosive forces within and without our government--while hoping for the good guys to win and thread the right needles out there. Honestly, I've always thought that The X-Files, as a concept, has only gotten more timely, therefore it never gets old.

Were David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson involved in any way with this new title?

They continue to approve each artist that we work with.

What involvement did Chris Carter have in steering the storylines and what encouragement did he give you?

Chris has always been incredibly kind, supportive and generous with his compliments when asked about the comics, where they 'fit' into the grand scheme of things, and my work and writing on the series. He reads what we send him -- and I know he'll let us know if he's not happy -- but I pretty much get left to do what I want.

What's it like to experience a fusion with Carter's imagination?

It's been a thrill to talk about this stuff with Chris; to know he's read and considered what I think we should do, what we ultimately do do, and all that.  That he's imparted wisdom and guidance related to these characters, what I should always look out for and all that, has been invaluable. And that he's shared some of his own thoughts about where he wants to take this franchise -- as well as some abandoned ideas and directions--has been an honor. I mean, growing up a kid who wants to make genre fiction and tell scary stories across a variety of media, there's a pretty short list of giants to gravitate toward. He knows how much I respect the source material, and I'd like to think, to whatever small degree these comics matter to the overall, there's a trust that's been earned and validated, and what else can I really say?

Were you an X-Files fan during its original TV run and what are the essential elements of their spiraling story that keep fans bonded and engaged?

I was a fan from the beginning, sure, and going back and re-watching so much of the canon again, I was reminded of just how masterful the show really got once it hit its stride, the conspiracy deepened, and Mulder and Scully grew closer as a result. In the end, you can craft the cool mythology and setup all the wonderful and unexpected twists that turn what you think you knew on its head and all that... but without the characters, it's not going to stand out, and doesn't stand out. Fortunately, when you're talking about these kinds of shows and franchises, there's nothing like Mulder and Scully. Nothing.

Is your storyline canon and will you be showing the aftermath of the Spartan virus?

With the show back on hiatus with no given indication of when it's returning yet, it's hard to claim we're canon and I don't expect the show to follow what we do. But we will do our best to keep pace as we're able, providing a sort of sidecar experience that ties in where we can, expands what we can, but mostly tells the kinds of stories fans have been getting from us since the beginning.

With regard to the aftermath of the Spartan virus...let's see how and when it's dealt with on the show, then ask me that question again!

Will you have monster-of-the-week/mytharc/humorous issues?

Yes, yes and yes.

There's recently been a lot of chatter about a possible Millennium reboot. Does Frank Black feature in your story?

I love Frank Black and Millennium. I think the Millennium miniseries I wrote and Colin Lorimer illustrated (which guest-starred Agent Mulder too) back in 2015 turned out to be some of the strongest stuff we did as an overall, X-Files comic-ing team and I would love to bring Frank back in some capacity if we can figure out the right time, place and reason.

Will we see William, the Lone Gunmen or the Smoking Man in upcoming issues?

"Baby" William Scully is a Chris Carter thing, and he advised against my including him in the comics once, which ultimately led to the better choice of focusing on former child chess genius and alien-addled telepath, Gibson Praise as our big bad in the Season 10 and Season 11 run. But I know William, and his place in the world with regards to Mulder and Scully all these years after she was forced to give him up for adoption in order to protect him from the forces seeking him, is something Chris is very intent on following through on, so we're going to let that play out a bit more before we even attempt to touch it.

We brought the Gunmen back from the presumed dead in the previous series, and the mystery surrounding the return of the Cigarette Smoking Man was the first piece of our own conspiracy storyline that played out over a couple of years. But, in this new, rebooted X-Files reality, the Gunmen are still dead and the Smoking Man has returned by different means. But I'd say, eventually, we're going to get to them in some capacity. Flashbacks are always a fun potentiality, too.

Will Scully and Mulder resume their relationship?

Unlikely, but we'll explore the whys and why nots, I hope, as the shared experiences, the triumphs and pains they had together and apart, all inform their current status and situation.

How is Matthew's stark, calculating art such a great match of this new X-Files series?

I think Matt's all business and helps me tell a cinematically-inclined story every month. What I really like about Matt's work, aside from his professionalism and dedication, is how he sees these characters and translates them onto the page. If we were going to make comics with art that looked more like photographs of the actors, I'd be bored to tears, honestly. Matt captures the essence of Fox Mulder and Dana Scully. And, honestly, his interpretation of Walter Skinner makes me want to spinoff a solo series.

What was the collaboration process like with Matthew?

Well, I want to tell you it's all deliberative and calculated based on our back and forth and all that, but often enough it's the equivalent of what M*A*S*H used to refer to as "meatball surgery" getting the patient fixed up while challenging circumstances swirl.

I trust Matt, and I think he trusts me by this point. I include lots of reference and inspirational stuff pasted in my scripts and try to make it easy on him when I'm taking inspiration, or a straight-up plot point, from some far-flung episode within the canon.

Matt's wife, Abby, is also a huge X-Files fan, and I know his status within the household is directly tied to his continued performance on this title and these characters.

You've had these characters in your head for the past few years, how do you keep the dialogue cadence and edge so fresh with each issue?

Honestly, the dialogue is the easy part, because I have been living with them for so long. They're so much fun to write, and I can hear them so clearly when I'm thinking through scenes, and the stakes, for each of them.

One thing I really try to do is make these stories resonant within the larger context of who they are and why they're here, still doing what they're doing after all these years. We have upcoming "Monster" issues and short arcs that are complete and fairly self-contained, but which, I hope, resonate with where we know these characters have been, what they've recently dealt with, and where both they, and we, hope they're headed.

When I first got this gig, back in 2013, I used to laugh that I'm currently the only person in the world who understands what it's like to resist the temptation of having Fox Mulder speak like Hank Moody. So, I guess, to answer your question another way, I'm not watching "Aquarius" yet!

What spoiler-free shocks and surprises are in store for readers as this paranormal investigative series progresses?

We're going to tackle some important and relevant topics, from gun violence and the phenomenon of mass shootings in this country, to so-called "illegal immigration" and the migration of suffering, longing people to the promise this country represents, and even some throwbacks to conspiracies past, from the original Syndicate's lost covenant with the alien colonists to old characters stepped from the X-Files past's ties to things like the Reagan years and the Iran/Contra scandal. But all of it with that X-Files twist that extrapolates from the real life and plugs it all into the overarching story and experience these characters have shared, and continue to share. On the "Mytharc" end of things, we're going to dig deep and bring in some unresolved past stuff involving Mulder's family history, Scully's family history, and some seemingly obscure characters that might have been forgotten and give it all a new shine of relevance in this strange and getting stranger still 21st century we're all hurtling through.

Blastr.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Tue 26 Apr - 9:43

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 27 Apr - 10:20

Review: The X-Files #1

Posted on April 27, 2016 by bagandbored
(IDW 2016)

Writer: Joe Harris

Art: Matthew Dow Smith

Colors: Jordie Bellaire

Letters: Chris Mowry

Cover Menton 3

The Truth is back, and its still out there in The X-Files #1, the new ongoing series from IDW Publishing. Thirteen years on from the original series run, The X-Files returned to television in 2016 in Fox’s spectacular events series from creator / executive producer Chris Carter. Now, along with the involvement of Chris Carter, IDW brings us a new comic book series by Joe Harris, Matthew Dow Smith, and Jordie Bellaire, which charts the continuing adventures of special FBI Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully.

Based on the phenomenally successful new Fox TV event series that aired earlier this year, The X-Files #1 reunites Mulder and Scully once more as their search for the truth continues. With the creative team that brought us IDW’s  The X-Files Season 11, writer Joe Harris, artist Matthew Dow Smith, and colorist Jordie Bellaire, on board, get ready to open the next exciting chapter of The X-Files in this new ongoing series which begins with a special 40 page debut issue featuring a stunning main cover by Menton 3 – and if that wasn’t enough there’s also a plethora of brilliant variant covers to choose from as well!

Having worked on the X-Files for years investigating cases deemed unsolvable or unexplained, FBI Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully eventually left the Bureau to carry on their lives in relative anonymity. Now, in the light of recent events, Mulder and Scully have returned to the FBI and continue their work on The X-Files.

The X-Files #1 gets this new ongoing series off to a great start. Writer Joe Harris throws us right into the thick of the action as a young gunman goes on the rampage in a shopping mall in Prince George’s  County, Maryland. But as the authorities close in to take out the shooter, events take a decidedly unexpected turn for the survivors of the massacre. “Active Shooter” sees Mulder and Scully called into the scene following the carnage in the fast food restaurant, but is this really the case of an employee going off the rails because he’s recently been jilted by his girlfriend, or is their something more sinister to this strange incident, and who is surreptitiously monitoring events from the sidelines as the Agents carry out their investigation?

Joe Harris skillfully introduces the series’ premise right from the outset, whether you are a long term fan of the X-Files or a newcomer, there’s certainly lots to enjoy here in what is essentially a very classic feeling X-Files story. Mulder and Scully are soon on the case, even though they are unsure why they’ve been assigned to it, and it’s not long before Mulder notices something unusual about the shooters firing pattern. This issue has plenty of “spooky” elements to hook us, the shooters girlfriend, who was also working at the burger counter at the time of the attack, is mysteriously unaccounted for, and the lone survivor of the shootout, a young mother and her baby, begins to act very strangely indeed, but it is the way the issue deftly infuses themes such as terrorism and gun crime into the narrative that effectively grounds the story and makes it so compelling and gripping.

The X-Flies #1 is a terrific looking issue as well. Matthew Dow Smith’s artwork channels the look and tone of the TV show perfectly, with succinctly structured page layouts that effortlessly pull you into the story, and a brilliant attention to detail that is simply breathtaking. Even though events unfold in such an ordinary everyday setting Matthew Dow Smith makes every scene come alive on the page. Mulder and Scully’s likenesses, expressions, and mannerisms are all spot on, as are those of  AD Skinner, and believe me, Matthew Dow Smith gives us a classic Walter Skinner moment in this issue! Jordie Bellaire utilizes a rich palette of colors throughout the issue, with cool blue tones amplifying the mystery and tense atmosphere of the story at key moments, while deep shadows and gloomy hues punctuate the later scenes at the FBI offices. Yet it is the haunting, and seemingly infectious “holes in the sky”, that we can’t actually see which really highlights just how effectively Matthew Dow Smith’s artwork and Jordie Bellaire’s colors elevates the dark mood and atmosphere of this powerful storyline to a whole new level of sublime menace and intrigue.

This first issue builds towards an exciting close, when sudden danger strikes, leading to a tense stand-off, the resolution finds Mulder and Scully unsure about what they’ve inadvertently stumbled onto with this case, and in time-honored X-Files fashion we are left with the certainty that the truth is still out there. The X-Files #1 (2016) is a fantastic issue, with its innovative story by Joe Harris and impressive art by Matthew Dow Smith, this new IDW ongoing X-Files series will have you completely riveted from the first page as Mulder and Scully’s quest for the truth continues anew!

PaulBowler-ProfilePic1Paul Bowler is a self-Confessed Sci-Fi Geek, Doctor Who fan, and Zombie Disposal Expert. He likes movies, comic books, and all things PS3. He likes to write about his interests, would love to write a novel one day, and also enjoys chatting to the many people he has gotten to know on Twitter. When he’s not busy being an Impossible Astronaut, he likes to take a break from his adventures in time and space to enjoy some of his favorite tv shows and movies, preferably with a nice cuppa tea & a sandwich! 

You can follow him on Twitter @paul_bowler, or find him

Bagandbored.net

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 27 Apr - 10:21

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 27 Apr - 19:28

Review: The X-Files (2016-) #1, "Active Shooter"

IDW returns to The X-Files with their new comic series which is set during the recent six-episode revival series of the show. The first issue hit comic book stands today, and moves on from the universe laid out in the earlier comic series Season 10 and Season 11. Read after the jump for our review of issue one, “Active Shooter”.

The X-Files 2016 brings across writer Joe Harris, artist Matthew Dow Smith, and colorist Jordie Bellaire who were previously working on IDW’s other X-Files series, Season 11. This new canon series introduces the Mulder and Scully we saw on TV earlier this year, back working at the FBI under Assistant Director Walter Skinner. In this first issue the pair are assigned to investigate a mass shooting at a Maryland mall after an employee at a food court burger chain - Toby Fitzsimmons - opens fire and kills 17 people. Before the cops can take him down, Fitzsimmons speaks to one victim who has escaped his bullets, a young mother with her baby. “Can you see them?” he asks her, “the lights. They’re like holes in the sky.” Before she can formulate much of a response, Fitzsimmons is shot dead by police, his eyes glowing orange.

Mulder and Scully are initially confused by their requested presence at what is, depressingly, an all too normal crime scene, especially as nobody can seem to account for why they've been called or who assigned them. However, it doesn’t take long for Mulder to notice that something is amiss. Between comments on the easy availability of weapons that will fail to please more right-wing readers, Mulder points out that Fitzsimmons’ ex-girlfriend is missing from the scene despite being on duty at the burger chain, and also notes that the shooter appeared to have been aiming in a specific direction, and not at the crowds of people trying to flee. Meanwhile, somebody is watching the scene from the crowds. “PHA02 FIELD EXPERIMENT INITIATING” the text on their camera reads as it identifies Mulder and Scully by name.

Mulder and Scully begin investigating the scene and soon they are in the thick of things when another active shooter situation begins, the earlier victim now having stolen an officer’s gun and repeating Fitzsimmons’ entreaties. “The holes… we’ll all fall,” she cries while Scully dramatically rescues the woman’s baby and takes aim with her own weapon. Once the cops take down this second shooter, Mulder realises where Fitzsimmons was trying to get to and heads up to the roof to discover the ex-girlfriend - Kim - and a hostage situation. “I never wanted it to be like this,” Kim tells him, staring into the distance, “I don’t want to miss this”. Her eyes glow the same fiery orange we saw earlier, and she leaps from the roof. Downstairs, Scully is shocked to see the tiny baby she was cradling in her arms stand up in its pram, staring upwards towards the ceiling. All the while, we see glimpses through the lens of our mysterious “watcher”, each one bearing concerning captions: “EGROUP SUB 02 EXP +29 HRS.”

Back at FBI Headquarters, Mulder physically attacks Skinner a la "Anasazi", which seems more than a little out-of-character this far into the pair’s relationship. He demands to know what happened at the mall but Skinner is having none of Mulder’s crap and hits back, proving that he remains the stronger man. Go Skinman! Of course, “whatever [Mulder and Scully] both stumbled into” has been classified leaving Skinner none-the-wiser. All he can tell them is that “somebody wanted you at that shopping mall,” just as they wanted the events that occurred there to take place. He sends the pair home to get some rest, but as he does we see our mystery voyeur approach the apparently unguarded body of Kim and whisper to her, “gaze upward… toward the holes in the sky,” revealing his own eyes glowing with the same orange light. The camera we have been looking through focuses on Mulder and Scully. “CGROUP *NEW SUB” it reads.

IDW has their work cut out with this new series given how many fans currently feel burned by Seasons 10 and 11 being publicised as canon, then suddenly dropped from that status once Fox brought the TV show back. I have to admit feeling slightly put off by the introduction of yet another overarching conspiracy with a shadowy bad guy manipulating Mulder and Scully given that the series is supposedly set during the short miniseries. Honestly, I would have preferred to just see Mulder and Scully investigating monsters, mutants, and murderers together rather than dragging in yet another plot line to keep track of. Wasn't the "new" conspiracy Mulder uncovered in "My Struggle Part One" enough to work with? Still, I'll be interested to see where this goes, and to see how this new modernised version of my favorite partnership translates into comics.

XFiles.news

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 27 Apr - 19:32

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sir on Wed 27 Apr - 19:38

X-FILES: I WANT TO BELIEVE #1

Active Shooter” A Short Review

*Written by Joe Harris, Art by Matthew Dow Smith and with Executive Producer Chris Carter*

I am a long time fan of the X-Files TV show and when I was given the chance to read this new book by IDW publishing I jumped at the chance to check it out. Mulder and Scully are in fact back, and diving right in with a very odd case. They are mysteriously called to a complicated crime scene at a mall where multiple people have been shot. (Let me stop you right here) I had to re read the first 3 pages several times because I was so distracted by the artwork. Mulder looked like he had aged 30 years and as I was reading it I had to keep reminding myself that this was indeed Mulder and not the cigarette smoking man. I understand it is tough to get the real likeness of a person in comic form but this had none of the classic David Duchovny nerdy swagger. The scenes in the mall were all very cluttered and the monotone color choices left me feeling just “blah”.

With that being said I pushed through; as I would never give up on a good X-Files story. The story gets interesting as more people continue to seem almost infected by something mysterious. They keep saying “can’t you see them; the lights are like holes in the sky”. So yea, we are deep into X-Files territory at this point and there is a little goofy Mulder/Scully back and forth in the dialogue that you would expect. There is some sort of  experiment being conducted and it appears that Mulder and Scully are somehow part of the bigger picture. They were summoned to this place but without knowing by whom, for what, or why. This is the part of the story that got interesting for me; I am a sucker for a good conspiracy.

Mulder and Scully do some Scooby-Doo detective work and come up with more questions than answers. They have more dead bodies and no idea what is causing perfectly rational people to go on killing sprees. After coming up with nothing but dead ends, they head back to Washington to ask and old friend for some answers. At Assistant Director Skinner’s office we see that he is perusing a classified report on what has gone down at the mall and when the agents show up he suddenly knows nothing. He tells the agents that whatever they have stumbled onto is classified; and that once again the government is covering something up. There is a conspiracy afoot and Mulder and Scully are smack dab in the middle of it. *cue creepy music*

I’m going to give this book an 8, and only because the story has some great potential. Have patience and be prepared to look past some rough art work in the beginning. The story line picks up pace nicely and compensates well for what the visuals were lacking. I would recommend this book is best for older teens to adult due to mature subject matter and some violence.

Tmstash.com

Thank you Maria!
sir
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 27 Apr - 19:43

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 on Wed 27 Apr - 20:11

IDW's The X-Files #1 Review: David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson's Mulder/Scully Comic Return!

By Jorge Solis (j.solis@mstarsnews.com) | Apr 27, 2016 05:00 PM EDT

(Photo : IDW Publishing) Check out our review of IDW Publishing's The X-Files #1 featurinsg David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson's Fox Mulder and Dana Scully comic book return!

IDW Publishing continues to fight the future with The X-Files #1. FBI agents Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) make their comic book return in writer Joe Harris and artist Matthew Dow Smith's must-read first installment. 

As we previously mentioned, whether they liked it or not, FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully have become known for the bureau because of their work in The X-Files Unit. The professional careers revolved around the unexplained phenomena and unsolvable casework.  After years living in peaceful anonymity, the duo are now forced to return to the Bureau. There is still a lot of work for them to do.

The first installment establishes that the continuity takes place within the recent Revival arc. These are the cases that Mulder and Scully were working on within those 6 episodes. Perfect for new readers and longtime fans, the agents are dropped into a standalone case that highlights what we love about the series so much.

(Photo : IDW Publishing)

Right from the first page, Writer Joe Harris has built a suspenseful vibe around society's fears. Because he is now older, Mulder's characterization is much more paranoid and cynical. The storyline feels right in the moment as the debate over stricter gun laws is emphasized amongst the characters. The chilling tone will make readers think twice before stepping on board an airplane. 

Artist Matthew Dow Smith has perfectly aged the character designs. The lines on Mulder's face represent how tired and depressed he has become. No matter how old she gets, Scully continues to be a strong and energetic force in the series. You have to see what Smith does with Walter Skinner (Mitch Pileggi). Nominated for an Eisner award, colorist Jordie Bellaire captures a vibrant and shadowy atmosphere with her palette.

RATING: JUST TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY!!

The X-Files #1 is out in stores now.

MStarsNews

jade1013
Pix Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content